Josh Smith says Hawks will "shock the world"

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:23 pm
Just like the subject says, he decided to go out and say that his under .500 winning percentage Atlanta Hawks will shock the world and beat the Celtics. Don't care how bold the statement is, that kind of thing is what the playoffs are all about. He just better show up to play because after Stevenson called LeBron "overrated," he was no where to be seen. So Smith better back up his talk.

Atlanta forward Josh Smith has said his team is "going to shock the world" by upsetting the Celtics. Teammate Josh Childress has said he doesn't think "there's any position where you can say we are severely undermanned against them."

The Celtics were 3-0 with an average margin of victory of 14.2 points in the regular season against Atlanta, which is making its first playoff appearance since 1999.

The Celtics aren't getting caught up in the Hawk talk.

"Whatever they got to do to get themselves motivated up for a series," Pierce said. "Our team? We don't have any problem with that. We're going to play regardless."

Said Rivers: "You don't have to be a bulletin-board guy anymore. Back in the day, when the statement was created, you would see something in the paper and actually put it on the bulletin board and the players would read it. Now you don't have to do that anymore, everyone will tell them. We don't need that to get it going."
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:50 pm
xbay wrote:Just like the subject says, he decided to go out and say that his under .500 winning percentage Atlanta Hawks will shock the world and beat the Celtics. Don't care how bold the statement is, that kind of thing is what the playoffs are all about. He just better show up to play because after Stevenson called LeBron "overrated," he was no where to be seen. So Smith better back up his talk.

Atlanta forward Josh Smith has said his team is "going to shock the world" by upsetting the Celtics. Teammate Josh Childress has said he doesn't think "there's any position where you can say we are severely undermanned against them."

The Celtics were 3-0 with an average margin of victory of 14.2 points in the regular season against Atlanta, which is making its first playoff appearance since 1999.

"Whatever they got to do to get themselves motivated up for a series," Pierce said. "Our team? We don't have any problem with that. We're going to play regardless."

Said Rivers: "You don't have to be a bulletin-board guy anymore. Back in the day, when the statement was created, you would see something in the paper and actually put it on the bulletin board and the players would read it. Now you don't have to do that anymore, everyone will tell them. We don't need that to get it going."

Yeah.........talk about facing over whelming odds and trying whatever you can to get motivated!......... :roll:

And your bolded statement up there man, I read somewhere that LeBron taunted/made fun of Stevenson when he iced the game............do you know what he did to him?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:31 pm
bigstrads wrote:
xbay wrote:Just like the subject says, he decided to go out and say that his under .500 winning percentage Atlanta Hawks will shock the world and beat the Celtics. Don't care how bold the statement is, that kind of thing is what the playoffs are all about. He just better show up to play because after Stevenson called LeBron "overrated," he was no where to be seen. So Smith better back up his talk.

Yeah.........talk about facing over whelming odds and trying whatever you can to get motivated!......... :roll:

And your bolded statement up there man, I read somewhere that LeBron taunted/made fun of Stevenson when he iced the game............do you know what he did to him?

I have no idea.

But speaking of taunting, I remember watching the Hornets/Mavs game and after Chris Paul made a shot, the Mavs called a timeout and Chris turned towards the Mavs bench, beat his chest like a gorilla, and yelled "HE CAN'T GUARD ME!" He meant that Jason Kidd can't guard him. That kid is going to be a HOF for sure one day.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:36 pm
im assuming when josh smith said the hawks will shock the world, he meant theyll shock the world at how bad a playoff team could play. just watched their game against boston today, and not that i expected anything less, but the hawks got whooped on. its still so saddening that a team under .500 could make the playoffs in the east and a team 14 games over .500 in the west misses out.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:48 pm
EMan32 wrote:im assuming when josh smith said the hawks will shock the world, he meant theyll shock the world at how bad a playoff team could play. just watched their game against boston today, and not that i expected anything less, but the hawks got whooped on. its still so saddening that a team under .500 could make the playoffs in the east and a team 14 games over .500 in the west misses out.

Yeah, that was bad. They had some highlights, but I only saw Horford as the one that showed up. Boston had everyone showing up to play. I'm rooting for the Celtics to take it all because I want to see Leon Powe do well.

6 teams had a .500 or higher winning percentage in the East. 10 teams had a .500 or higher winning percentage in the West.

If they were to change the playoff format(not saying they should, but if they were to change), the seedings would have 6 East teams and 10 West teams.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:20 pm
xbay wrote:I'm rooting for the Celtics to take it all because I want to see Leon Powe do well.

WORD
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:31 pm
Shock the world :shock: .....maybe Josh smith still day dreaming right now....
or maybe He want to be W's... :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:19 am
They'll shock the world if they're able to win a single game against Boston. Maybe he meant that...
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:18 pm
bigstrads wrote:Yeah.........talk about facing over whelming odds and trying whatever you can to get motivated!......... :roll:

so when stevenson does something he thinks is pretty darn nifty, he places his hand, palm facing his face, fingers spread, and starts waving his hand in his own face...

not the slightest idea WTF this is supposed to mean...other than it looking pretty fricken retarded...but he's always been a prick since his high school days in fresno...

anyway, an "overrated" lebron scored on stevenson like he'd been doing all game... and did that hand-waving thing to mock deshawn...

i loved it...hilarious...
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:28 pm
EMan32 wrote:im assuming when josh smith said the hawks will shock the world, he meant theyll shock the world at how bad a playoff team could play. just watched their game against boston today, and not that i expected anything less, but the hawks got whooped on. its still so saddening that a team under .500 could make the playoffs in the east and a team 14 games over .500 in the west misses out.

QFT.

Josh Smith has already shocked the world - nobody thought anyone in Atlanta would be stupid enough to provide bullitin board material to 3 All Stars in the playoffs. Way to go champ.

He does know that who advances is decided by games won and not by a dunk contest, right?
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:00 pm
TMC wrote:They'll shock the world if they're able to win a single game against Boston. Maybe he meant that...

:mrgreen: yeah...that's what I was thinking

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:28 pm
aletha33 wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Yeah.........talk about facing over whelming odds and trying whatever you can to get motivated!......... :roll:

so when stevenson does something he thinks is pretty darn nifty, he places his hand, palm facing his face, fingers spread, and starts waving his hand in his own face...

not the slightest idea WTF this is supposed to mean...other than it looking pretty fricken retarded...but he's always been a prick since his high school days in fresno...

anyway, an "overrated" lebron scored on stevenson like he'd been doing all game... and did that hand-waving thing to mock deshawn...

i loved it...hilarious...

hah i laughed hard when i saw damon jones imitate stevenson when he hit the three near the end of the game to make it a 30 point win.

i remember stevenson tried to act so tough last year against the warriors when the wizards came. it was the 06-07 season im talkin about. he was booed at that game everytime he had the ball.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:38 pm
i dont understand why stevenson would call lebron underrated...this obviously would just fuel lebron and cleveland fans. with cleveland having homecourt advantage, i think this was a stupid move by deshawn stevenson trying to overcome those types of odds, and id be embarassed as a wizard fan. thank goodness im a warrior fan.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:01 pm
EMan32 wrote:i dont understand why stevenson would call lebron underrated...this obviously would just fuel lebron and cleveland fans. with cleveland having homecourt advantage, i think this was a stupid move by deshawn stevenson trying to overcome those types of odds, and id be embarassed as a wizard fan. thank goodness im a warrior fan.

You mean overrated right, buddy? :wink:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:06 pm
Thunder wrote:

QFT.

Josh Smith has already shocked the world - nobody thought anyone in Atlanta would be stupid enough to provide bullitin board material to 3 All Stars in the playoffs. Way to go champ.

He does know that who advances is decided by games won and not by a dunk contest, right?

Yes, that is just amazing to me that he would do anything to motivate further 3 All Stars like that. Only hope they had at making ANYTHING of this series is if Boston got caught looking ahead and just tried to sleepwalk through this series. Even that would not have helped but calling them out like that was just stupid.

Return to NBA Forum