Why would Walsh do that?

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:23 pm
It was just announced on espn.com that Donnie Walsh has relieved Isiah Thomas of his coaching duties(shocking!!). He was quoted as saying, "He will have no official title, but he will provide meaningful input," and, "Isiah remaining a part of the franchise is important for the organization."
Now, Unless Walsh has found a time machine and is thinking of using it to get Isiah back to playing shape I seriously do not understand why in the hell he would think Isiah remaining with the Knicks is important.
All he has done in NY is screw up their salary situation, bring shame to it with the whole sexual harassment fiasco and turn alot of the players that he overpaid against him.
Part of me starting this thread is to vent about how utterly stupid I think those quotes make him look and part of it is honestly, for someone to maybe explain how it could possibly be good to keep Thomas connected in any way with the Knicks.
Please enlighten me...
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:41 pm
The only reason I can think of, is that Zeke must have some kind of dirt on the Knicks/franchise..................and is blackmailing them! :mrgreen:

Its the only explanation as to why you would stick with/have someone around so long who has done LITERALLY NOTHING!!!.........and not just just nothing............but had a minus affect in his entire time.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:02 pm
bigstrads wrote:The only reason I can think of, is that Zeke must have some kind of dirt on the Knicks/franchise..................and is blackmailing them! :mrgreen:

Its the only explanation as to why you would stick with/have someone around so long who has done LITERALLY NOTHING!!!.........and not just just nothing............but had a minus affect in his entire time.

Yeah that could be a possibility. Didn't Isaiah and Starbury have this little war of words in the press last year where they both said they had "dirt" on each other and Starbury said he could f**k up Thomas' career if he wanted?
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:45 pm
lol Im arguing this right now on a knick forum. I dont really see it as a big problem. It obviously came from the owner James Dolan because he really likes Isiah. He wont do anything or talk publically ever again, hes gonna probably make up trade proposals which wont be listened to and go golfing with dolan. Im only worried if Walsh retires will Isiah sweet talk his way back to the gm job. I trust Walsh is gonna clean the knicks up and make them contenders again, starting with trading crawford zach and curry for shorter contracts.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:28 pm
Thats because he is still getting paid so why not use him in Send him to brazil a few times a year to scout the talent down there. Although that would actually be a reward to see all those fine ass big ass girls from brazil.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:59 pm
yea, hes not a horrible drafter. Not a great one, but his one talent is being able to find talent past the lottery. David lee was a great pick, balkman was bad because he could have signed him after the draft because he wasn't gonna get drafted but hes been surprisingly good on defense. Robinson was a good pick and his latest draft pick chandler is playing excelent basketball lately showing signs of being a starter in this league. All that said, I would punch him if I saw him in the street.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:41 am
I think it's more simple than all that. They probably just save money by demoting him instead of firing him.

It all comes down to money...
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:02 am
hmmmm... I didn't really think about money even. I would think they would be ok with just throwing away money since they did have to give like 11 million to that lady that won the sexual harassment suit because of Isiah.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:44 pm
TMC wrote:I think it's more simple than all that. They probably just save money by demoting him instead of firing him.

It all comes down to money...

Right. Its like what the Giants did with Felipe Alou. Or what Dallas did with Don Nelson. You don't fire the guy, you send him home, don't give him any work, and pay him whatever you agreed on, as not to breech his contract.

Regardless of what Walsh says, the Knicks won't be getting any input from Zeke. That's for damn sure.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:52 pm
the problem is that when donnie retires and zeke is still around, can he sweet talk his way back to being the gm. THe owner loves him to death. I doubt it will happen but its a possibilty.

Return to NBA Forum