The answers to our question = What happend in Phoenix?

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

How pissed are we at Nellie for admitting he threw our final elimination game? (scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest)

No votes
25%
25%
25%
25%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 4

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:26 am
Ive just posted this in the Warriors Basketball thread we have for why Baron didnt play..............but thought Id put it here too, just to be official..........and maybe officious. :wink:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1068B3.DTL

(04-15) 23:03 PDT -- For Warriors coach Don Nelson, the mind-boggling question everyone wants answered is really a no-brainer.

Why didn't he play Baron Davis in the second half of Monday's playoff-elimination game in Phoenix?

"It was real simple," Nelson said by phone Tuesday. "He was having a bad game. He was terrible. He was the worst player on the floor, and I told him to take the second half off. He was 2-for-13, we were down 14 points.

"I said, 'Hey, let's relax and play some young guys.' "

Still, it was a perplexing sight, Davis sitting out the final 24 minutes of a 122-116 loss to Phoenix that officially ended the Warriors' playoff hopes.

Nelson admitted that his point guard wasn't pleased when informed that his night was over at the half, but he insisted there was no friction heading into tonight's season finale - and more importantly, into an offseason highlighted by the uncertain futures of the franchise coach and player.

"There's no problem between Baron and (me)," Nelson said. "He's probably upset because he played terrible."

It isn't clear whether Nelson's explanation satisfied Davis, who could not be reached for comment Tuesday. Davis, however, did post an entry on his personal blog expressing disappointment over the season's end and about working hard next year to make sure it doesn't happen again.

At the end, he appeared to make a subtle reference to Monday's early exit.

"I hate losing," Davis wrote. "I play this game to win, and it's even harder when I feel like I wasn't able to help my team do that."

Neither coach nor player had been in a talking mood immediately after the loss in Phoenix. "I gave him a much-needed rest" was all Nelson offered when asked about the benching, while Davis muttered an "Ain't your story" to local reporters as he walked out of the visitors' locker room.

Davis' agent, Todd Ramasar, said he and his client wondered why Davis wasn't in the critical game, at the most critical of times, after carrying such a heavy load all season.

"The same questions that you have are the same questions that I have," Ramasar said Tuesday. "Why wasn't Baron on the floor? Was there an injury, argument, questions, whatever? I've asked the same things.

"There was no injury. Nothing was said. It was a coach's decision, which is odd ... with so much that hinged on last night's game. Obviously, (Baron) wanted to be in there playing. He's asking himself why he wasn't in the game. But it was a coach's decision."

Nelson said the benching also would have applied to Stephen Jackson - whom the coach sat in the second quarter after a lousy start - if Jackson hadn't rebounded with a terrific third period.

As for pulling his star players for playing poorly when he hasn't done so all season, Nelson said part of the reason was the game's reduced importance. He believes the Warriors had no realistic chance of making the playoffs even with a win over Phoenix, because the Nuggets still would have to lose to a hapless Memphis team at home tonight.

"We probably had a better chance to get hit with lightning than we had of getting in the playoffs," Nelson said.

Ramasar said he had yet to speak with Nelson or vice president Chris Mullin, but the two sides have much to discuss when they do congregate. Davis can become an unrestricted free agent this summer by opting out of the final year and $17.2 million left on his contract, though Ramasar admitted that was an "unlikely" scenario.

"There's no team that has cap space this offseason to offer what Baron has guaranteed," he said.

Instead, the agent likely will try to reach a contract extension with the Warriors.

Davis is set for a milestone tonight: his 82nd consecutive game, marking the first time since the 2001-02 season he has played a full season, and at 39 minutes per game.

"Right now, he's just focused on finishing up the last game," Ramasar said.

Added Nelson, who plans on starting Davis: "I would like the energy to be there tomorrow and close out the season right."

The bolded parts are the important ones for me............

1 - Why Nellie would just give up like that (it was painfully obvious during the game that he had)..........I just dont understand..........."Never stop fighting till the fight is done!!"

2 - Baron aint going no-where!!! (atleast for nothing in exchange).........as even his agent knows the score that Baron is going to have to take a pretty substantial pay cut to do so.........also, the part where Baron said he was pissed off about hwo the season ended, and that he is going to "work hard to make sure it doesnt happen again NEXT season"

Well, I think that about raps up the questions in the thread then, thanks Chronicla and Reggie for pointing it out. :wink:

On the scale, Im an 8.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:43 am
Where's 0?.

I can't be pissed at him. The way Baron was playing, I would have done the same.

Also, that game was meaningless. We were out of the playoffs after losing against Denver at home and Denver defeated the Rockets.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:50 am
TMC wrote:Where's 0?.

I can't be pissed at him. The way Baron was playing, I would have done the same.

Also, that game was meaningless. We were out of the playoffs after losing against Denver at home and Denver defeated the Rockets.

Of course, Baron first half was dreadful (have you seen the game yet by the way?)......but when we got our lead, Baron would maybe have been able to hold it down better than just us giving it to a then cold S-Jax and letting him throw it up.............Baron, whether playing crap in the first half or not, would have gotten us better shots.

Also..............dude!...........the game was not meaningless, simple as that............who could say that even the 1% out of 100 of the Grizz beating Denver wasnt possible???...........no-one can but tanking this game made it irrelevant.

Plus, now Denver get to rest there stars for the playoffs, whereas we could have at the very least forced them to play it out properly.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:09 am
bigstrads wrote:Of course, Baron first half was dreadful (have you seen the game yet by the way?)

Actually... just the first half. I didn't bother watching the rest of it.

bigstrads wrote:Also..............dude!...........the game was not meaningless, simple as that............who could say that even the 1% out of 100 of the Grizz beating Denver wasnt possible???...........no-one can but tanking this game made it irrelevant.

It was as irrelevant as it can be. Denver would have disposed of Memphis easily.

Our chances were not 1%... more like 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

bigstrads wrote:Plus, now Denver get to rest there stars for the playoffs, whereas we could have at the very least forced them to play it out properly.

I just don't care about that. If they can rest, all the better for them, but it's not like it's gonna affect us.

I'm just saying: We bash Nellie because he plays Baron too much, and even if he sucks, he keeps playing Baron, allowing him to roam free. And he finally decides to sit him and not play him a single minute in the second half and we also bash him... Seems like he can't do anything right in this situation.

I wish he had done so in a more meaningful game, actually.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:14 am
Who was it that beat the Fakers at Staples a few days ago........with Fakers fighting there asses off for the top seed............???.............hmmm, it was Memphis.

I know we arnt going to agree but simply...........some chance is better than no chance.

Also.........we could have held our heads a little higher, given that we would have only not made the playoffs by a tie-breaker...........not much meaning to that but still better than being a game out of it.

Finally, the only reason Im saying all of this is because Nellie obviously tanked it on purpose, and admitted so...........if wed have just lost, then Id have no quams.

Edit - I think alot of us have had the spirit and passion sucked out of us over the last few weeks...........I have too but still was always hopefully while it was still mathematically possible, as anything can happen in this world and this game.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:44 am
bigstrads wrote:Who was it that beat the Fakers at Staples a few days ago........with Fakers fighting there asses off for the top seed............???.............hmmm, it was Memphis.

I know we arnt going to agree but simply...........some chance is better than no chance.

Also.........we could have held our heads a little higher, given that we would have only not made the playoffs by a tie-breaker...........not much meaning to that but still better than being a game out of it.

Finally, the only reason Im saying all of this is because Nellie obviously tanked it on purpose, and admitted so...........if wed have just lost, then Id have no quams.

Edit - I think alot of us have had the spirit and passion sucked out of us over the last few weeks...........I have too but still was always hopefully while it was still mathematically possible, as anything can happen in this world and this game.

well bigs i like you NEVER ONCE GAVE UP
and holding our heads high is important who throws the f*cking towell in when they are still standing tall.

to win out was the way to go it was a bullsh1t move PERIOD
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:39 pm
JOEL wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Who was it that beat the Fakers at Staples a few days ago........with Fakers fighting there asses off for the top seed............???.............hmmm, it was Memphis.

well bigs i like you NEVER ONCE GAVE UP
and holding our heads high is important who throws the f*cking towell in when they are still standing tall.

to win out was the way to go it was a bullsh1t move PERIOD

Well.........I did have moments of weakness and despair...........but never in a "Screw this team/players/coach" way...........just in a "Ohh man, we are done/crazy team/worried" kind of way. :wink:

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:40 pm
i wished it was so simple. but - no, i don't believe nellie gave up and because of that benched baron. no matter if he gave up, baron may have not gave up, and being the star of the team you want to play meaningful minutes down at the end. i seriously doubt that any word nellie said after the game had anything to do with the truth.
and too fuel the fire, here's some article http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/ci_8942938
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

Return to News Articles