emails surface-Clay Bennett is slime! keep Sonics in Seattle

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:37 am
E-mails obtained by lawyers for the city of Seattle show Sonics owners were talking enthusiastically last April about moving the franchise to Oklahoma City — despite telling the public and the NBA they were still interested in keeping the team here.

The city cited the e-mails in a motion filed Wednesday in a New York federal court seeking to enforce a subpoena for NBA financial documents and other records.

On April 17 last year, team co-owners Clay Bennett, Aubrey McClendon and Tom Ward talked about whisking the Sonics away to Oklahoma as soon as possible even though it would mean breaching the KeyArena lease, according to the city's motion filed in U.S. District Court in New York City.

"Is there any way to move here [Oklahoma City] for next season or are we doomed to have another lame duck season in Seattle?" Ward wrote.

Bennett replied: "I am a man possessed! Will do everything we can. Thanks for hanging with me boys, the game is getting started!"

Ward: "That's the spirit!! I am willing to help any way I can to watch ball here [in Oklahoma City] next year."

McClendon: "Me too, thanks Clay!"

That exchange occurred just after the Washington Legislature refused to authorize taxpayer money for a $500 million Renton arena Bennett had proposed.

In an e-mail exchange later in April, Bennett told McClendon it was "quite likely" the team would play in Seattle another year but that he was "attempting quietly and without litigation" to "work through the lease."

Bennett's spokesman Dan Mahoney had no immediate comment Wednesday night. NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league would have no comment.

When his Renton-arena plan failed last April, Bennett said publicly that there was "little hope" of the Sonics remaining in Seattle. But he continued to insist he'd explore any reasonable arena plan to keep the team here.

Seattle City Attorney Tom Carr said the e-mails reinforce what many Sonics fans have suspected all along — that Bennett's group never had any intention of keeping the Sonics in Seattle.

advertising

"We all believed it. We didn't know it. Now we know it," Carr said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... sheds.html

ha ha encourage Warriors owner to vote NO on the proposed move of the Seattle SuperSonics

www.seattlesupersellouts.com
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:44 am
Moved to the NBA forum...

... but I wouldn't expect a lot of favorable feedback.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:46 am
why dont you ask your state to cough up some green for a new stadium instead of giving money to your Seahawks and Mariners?

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:55 am
I don't believe CA would be interested in contributing to this situation.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:59 am
I kind of am starting to feel bad for Sonic fans. They are getting screwed by a crappy owner. I mean, I would feel horrible if I couldn't go to Oracle and watch the W's anymore because some jerk wants to move the team to his hometown. But oh well, its not happening to us so I don't curr that much.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:25 am
ledzeppelinsucks wrote:ha ha encourage Warriors owner to vote NO on the proposed move of the Seattle SuperSonics

Jesus..............not this crap again. :roll:

Hey everyone!!! get out your phone books and just go nuts...........you might get Chris Cohan at some point!!!................thats pretty much what this guy is asking for.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:56 am
"Moreover, the NBA actively assisted the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce's campaign in favor of the vote by sending out campaign notices to Oklahoma City residents that purchased tickets during the two seasons that the New Orleans Hornets played in Oklahoma City." Ex. 42.

So the NBA can pad the success of this move to use it as leverage against other teams.

WOW, you think the BOG wants to get into this mess?

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:55 am
ledzeppelinsucks wrote:"Moreover, the NBA actively assisted the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce's campaign in favor of the vote by sending out campaign notices to Oklahoma City residents that purchased tickets during the two seasons that the New Orleans Hornets played in Oklahoma City." Ex. 42.

So the NBA can pad the success of this move to use it as leverage against other teams.

WOW, you think the BOG wants to get into this mess?

maybe it is your name that people won't listen to you
I like pie

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:35 pm
what's wrong with my name? the Seattletimes.com sonics forum turned into a battle zone, it has been shut down.

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:41 pm
ledzeppelinsucks wrote:what's wrong with my name? the Seattletimes.com sonics forum turned into a battle zone, it has been shut down.

He was joking............but I mentioned to you the first time you spammed this place up with your stuff that not one of us has responded/or supported you on..........that having a name like you do, saying that probably the greatest rock band ever sucks, is not gonna win you supporters either.

Anyway, Im sorry dude.........having this subject and you appear every other week is just really annoying, and pointless from your end too, as no-one has supported you yet.

Good luck with all your endeavours.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:34 pm
where's the spam?

Return to NBA Forum