Elton Brand cleared to play

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


Rookie
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:44 am
Location: Socal (714)
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:25 am
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_8744998

For those of you who have been holding onto him in your fantasy leagues... like me, who chose him in the 3rd round, completely unaware that he was injured. :banghead: It's okay, I somehow got 1st place after making some trades, but man I'm still pissed I did that.

Clippers have 9 games left & AB is targetting the last 6 to 8 games. Good luck to those of you in your leagues' playoffs who have him on your team.
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:43 am
Considering he's been out of the game for almost a year, he'll take those 9 games to get into game shape. After that, the season will be over. :wink:
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2570
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:46 pm
What game is he predicted to return? Hopefully he shows up big against the Mavs tonight :mrgreen: I doubt it though. Even if he plays he probably wont get many minutes and I doubt he'll be all that productive.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:09 pm
He could come back as early as the game on Thursday against Sacramento. That's what it said on yahoo.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 pm
I wish there was a way we could get him in a Warriors uni next year
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:37 am
hobbes wrote:I wish there was a way we could get him in a Warriors uni next year


He's expected to opt out this summer... and Miami is going to make a strong push to sign him. Remember that a few years back he signed with Miami and the Clips matched the offer to keep him.



Still, let's suppose we could add him in a sign and trade... I just wonder what the Clips would ask for. Wright, for certain... and probably Azu and Al Harrington (to make salaries work).

Just speculating, but who would go for that trade?. We'd be giving up a lot of young talent (and practically our whole bench), but we'd also be adding an all star PF that would give us the inside touch we lack.

Baron, Monta, Jackson, Brand and Beans looks a lot more like a championship team than the one we have right now. Although that team wouldn't have any proven guy on the bench.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:02 am
TMC wrote:
hobbes wrote:I wish there was a way we could get him in a Warriors uni next year


He's expected to opt out this summer... and Miami is going to make a strong push to sign him. Remember that a few years back he signed with Miami and the Clips matched the offer to keep him.



Still, let's suppose we could add him in a sign and trade... I just wonder what the Clips would ask for. Wright, for certain... and probably Azu and Al Harrington (to make salaries work).

Just speculating, but who would go for that trade?. We'd be giving up a lot of young talent (and practically our whole bench), but we'd also be adding an all star PF that would give us the inside touch we lack.

Baron, Monta, Jackson, Brand and Beans looks a lot more like a championship team than the one we have right now. Although that team wouldn't have any proven guy on the bench.


I would take that trade!!!..............for me, Brand is perfect to fill all the holes we have..............he will allow Beans to play off the ball/weakside/help defense and rebounding.

Yeah, wed lose Brandan but the simple thing is............Brandan is at best, going to be a much more offesively versatile Beans, ergo = not really solving our inside stregth/toughness issue............losing Al is no biggie, and Azu............thats the toughest for me as I like him alot, good on ball defender (Kobe?) and versatile scorer, good rebounder.

Well, all of those guys can crop up more in basketball than a Brand can............if that was possible, Id pull it in a second, then look at some D-League'ers, some Euros, undrafted guys..........would be much easier to fill the shoes of Brandan, Al and Azu than it would to get a guy like Brand.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:43 pm
If we could know that Brand is recovered, I would also do that trade in a minute. We would become one of the NBA's 5 elite teams.
But what I don't understand is: Are we necessarily obligated to compensate a team that loses a player who chooses to opt out of his contract?
How does that work?
I know we'd have to free some contract room. It would be very convenient if we could offer some of that to the Clippers. If not, I'm sure someone would want Harrington, for example.
War Years
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:48 am
War Years wrote:If we could know that Brand is recovered, I would also do that trade in a minute. We would become one of the NBA's 5 elite teams.


I didn't say it in my post but, obviously, me too. That would allow us to have one of the top starting fives in the league... albeit with no bench.

War Years wrote:But what I don't understand is: Are we necessarily obligated to compensate a team that loses a player who chooses to opt out of his contract?
How does that work?


Well, Brand makes around $16 million per year. We can't sign him to such a big deal unless Baron opts out, and even then, we still would have to sign Monta and Beans to extensions.

Which means our only chance to add him would be via sign-and-trade, and we have to compensate the Clips accordingly. In players and money. The trade I posted, and maybe one or two future picks, would be a great deal for them... if Brand doesn't want to stay a Clipper anymore, that is.

War Years wrote:I know we'd have to free some contract room. It would be very convenient if we could offer some of that to the Clippers. If not, I'm sure someone would want Harrington, for example.


Not possible at this point. Well, not really. I guess we could try to trade one of our big contracts (basically, Al) to a team so much under the cap that they could trade us a scrub making less money and take the rest of Al's contract using their available cap room... but no team with enough cap room will want to add Al. There will be better free agents available.

Any trade with other teams would free up cap room, at best, for the 2009-2010 season.

Return to NBA Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron