Another Reason Why Jazz Fans Are MORONS

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:55 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
bigstrads wrote:You watching the game tonight?

I'm up for the game tonight. Wont be on here, though. :wink:

Where you gonna be then? :wink:

Me to know and you to sit and wonder about. :wink:

Does some lucky bastard have a ticket then?................ :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:57 pm
I'm a bit late into this topic (as with any other this week)...

The way I see it, Fisher did the right thing. Of course 32 is right about lots of things (the kind of danger involved in his daughter's disease, the way he left the Jazz)... but I would have done the same thing. I mean, he doesn't need to keep playing. He's already made enough money for the rest of his life, and he decided he wanted to be with her, to stay by his side during the whole recovery, and that's a big help for her.

Regular people with normal jobs cannot do so, but Fish decided that, unless he could move back to LA, he would retire to stay with her, leaving all that money behind (that's what I read, at least) and the Jazz franchise decided to allow him to go. That says a lot about both Fish as a father and the Jazz franchise (not their fans, tho).

Guess that what I'm saying is that Fish considered that being with her daughter was more important than the rest of his NBA career. What's the problem with that?. Who wouldn't have done the same if they were in Fisher's position?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:12 pm
Retiring would have been the honorable move. Had he done that, nobody would have a gripe with him. But he didn't retire. He suckered the Jazz into releasing him and than he signed with his hometown team. Speaking as somebody trying to see things from a Jazz fan perspective, I honestly do not blame them for booing him.

You wanna leave the time and retire to be by your daughter's side throughout her illness? No problem. But as soon as you get your release, you sign with a conference rival and continue your full-time schedule playing basketball? That's a dick move.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:38 pm
32 wrote:Retiring would have been the honorable move. Had he done that, nobody would have a gripe with him. But he didn't retire. He suckered the Jazz into releasing him and than he signed with his hometown team. Speaking as somebody trying to see things from a Jazz fan perspective, I honestly do not blame them for booing him.

You wanna leave the time and retire to be by your daughter's side throughout her illness? No problem. But as soon as you get your release, you sign with a conference rival and continue your full-time schedule playing basketball? That's a dick move.

exactly :D he is a flopping faghole anyways
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:12 pm
bigstrads wrote:Does some lucky bastard have a ticket then?................ :wink:

Nope. I am going to the Sacramento game later in the year, though.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:02 pm
I somewhat agree with 32 here...while I think 32 is underselling how serious this is, I agree that Fish should have just retired. If it is an ailment where he needs to see her routinely, he has enough money to stop playing hoops. He also had enough money to move her to Utah. I think he just probably wanted to play for the Lakers.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:59 pm
Didn't he have a terrible contract courtesy of Mully that the Jazz would rather be rid of anyway?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:29 am
After last night, I have a feeling a few more people are seeing this issue from my point of view...
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:15 pm
32 wrote:After last night, I have a feeling a few more people are seeing this issue from my point of view...

I always tried to see Fisher as a good guy, but you are right 32...I see it the same way as you. He dishonorably used his family situation as a way to get back with the Lakers...what a miserable F*CK
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:51 pm
I disagree with 32 on this.

Why should he retire if he does not have to. If he can be with his daughter AND continue his career then that is the best of both worlds. Why would you not expect a man to try to strive for that?

Is it just that it is with the Lakers? If he moved to Philadelphia and resumed his career with them would you feel the same way?

As a player, Fisher annoys the crap out of me. I was irrate when we signed him and hated every minute he was on the floor but why critisize a guy for having a career and taking care of family obligations. And the Jazz knew when they terminated his contact that he would seek employment with the Lakers. Nobody is a victim here.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:15 pm
badabing8888 wrote:I disagree with 32 on this.

Why should he retire if he does not have to. If he can be with his daughter AND continue his career then that is the best of both worlds. Why would you not expect a man to try to strive for that?

Is it just that it is with the Lakers? If he moved to Philadelphia and resumed his career with them would you feel the same way?

As a player, Fisher annoys the crap out of me. I was irrate when we signed him and hated every minute he was on the floor but why critisize a guy for having a career and taking care of family obligations. And the Jazz knew when they terminated his contact that he would seek employment with the Lakers. Nobody is a victim here.

That's what I've been saying.

One thing to consider. If you had been in Fisher's place... would you have done the same?. Or would you have stayed with the Jazz or retire, even if you had no reason to?

If anything, I feel more respect for Fisher now than before.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:49 pm

I am hard pressed to believe that he can be with his daughter as much as he should and be a professional basektball player. If you consider training, practice, games and travel he probably sees his family the same amount as before.

TMC wrote:One thing to consider. If you had been in Fisher's place... would you have done the same?. Or would you have stayed with the Jazz or retire, even if you had no reason to?

Great question TMC...I'm not sure how others would answer this question, but as for me, I would retire. As a guy who has his 1st daughter due to be born in August, I would have to say family comes first. He already has more money than is necessary to live a comfortable life, so that argument can cease before it starts.

And one could argue that he should continue to play the game because he loves it, but as I said, family comes first. I consider it selfish, the fact that he is putting himself first in line, as he continues his career at this point.

As I said before...no respect for this guy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:07 pm
sleandres wrote:I am hard pressed to believe that he can be with his daughter as much as he should and be a professional basektball player. If you consider training, practice, games and travel he probably sees his family the same amount as before.

No way. He can now see her on a day-to-day basis. How could he do that while living on Salt Lake City?.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:59 pm
TMC wrote:
sleandres wrote:I am hard pressed to believe that he can be with his daughter as much as he should and be a professional basektball player. If you consider training, practice, games and travel he probably sees his family the same amount as before.

No way. He can now see her on a day-to-day basis. How could he do that while living on Salt Lake City?.

The bottom line is that he should be completely and totally devoted to that situation...instead of focusing on how to get a Bull Sh*t Offensive fould on Monta Ellis :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 pm

As I recall, Fisher didn't consider playing for another team until the Lakers began courting him after he got his release from the Jazz. It was at that point, Fisher began his "don't-blame-me", victim jargin about how Los Angeles (and, interestingly enough, cities that housed most of the contenders in the league) had ample medical treatment for his daughter (as if Salt Lake City didn't have a credible doctor in the most populated town of Utah).

Personally, I think viewing this as an innocent, 1-in-a-million coincidence come true, rather than a dubious plot behind the scenes by Fisher and his agent to get him back on the Lakers, is being a tad bit liberal with how much BS we're allowing ourselves to believe from the LA/Fisher camp, as opposed to the Utah crowd that feels burned to this day. Considering they had to make a midseason trade to aquire Kyle Korver to replace Fisher as an off-the-bench shooter, you can't claim there wasn't a victim here. Fisher, for whatever most of us feel about him, is a productive player... and was among the league's most favorable bench choices when he played for Utah. Asking for a release, citing his daughter's illness, and than backing out on his word to play for a more popular team in a location he's more comfortable with, is downright disgusting to me. I don't see Fisher as a loving father coming to the aid of his ailing daughter; I see him as a swindler using an unfortunate family situation to manipulate his way back into the LA spotlight... and, unfortunately (as we saw with SoCoolBob a while back), people are prone to believing those that play the victim role because it often seems cruel to think otherwise. I disagree. I believe Fisher had an alternative motive, other than his daughter, when resigning as a member of the Utah Jazz.
PreviousNext

Return to NBA Forum