Cal fires Head Coach Ben Braun after 12 seasons

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:15 pm
Braun is on his way out at Cal. I think this is just a change of scenery move, I don't think Braun was horrible, but the situation was getting stale. Any thoughts on a replacement? I wonder if they could get Montgomery back in the Bay Area, in college where he belongs :mrgreen:

Cal fired men's basketball coach Ben Braun Wednesday after 12 seasons, citing lack of NCAA tournament appearances over the last five years.

Ben Braun had a 219-154 record at Cal. He steered the Bears to five NCAA tournament and three National Invitation Tournaments.

Braun had a 219-154 record and guided the team to five NCAA tournament berths and three National Invitation Tournaments. In 1996-97, Cal reached the Sweet 16 and Braun earned Pac-10 coach of the year honors. He guided the 1998-99 team to the NIT championship.

The Bears finished ninth in the Pac-10 this season going 6-12, 17-16 overall. A year ago, Cal finished 16-17, 6-12 for eighth place in the conference. Two seasons ago, the Bears finished 13-16, 6-12 in the Pac-10 -- also for eighth place. Cal last made the NCAA tournament in 2003.

"This was an extremely difficult decision that was undertaken with great care and diligence," Cal athletic director Sandy Barbour said. "However, in the final analysis, I have determined that it is time for Cal to seek new leadership in our men's basketball program. Competing for conference championships and a place in the NCAA tournament are goals and expectations that are embraced at Cal. Unfortunately, we have not been able to consistently meet those expectations in our men's basketball program."

Braun, who came from Eastern Michigan, replaced Todd Bozeman 12 years ago after he was fired because of NCAA violations. Braun has a buyout in his contract and will be paid $985,000.

"I'd like to thank the Cal community for 12 great years of support," Braun said in a statement. "I've had the privilege to coach at one of the top universities in the country, and I'm proud of the program we've built. Going to eight postseason tournaments has been very special. I'm obviously disappointed that my staff and I won't be able to coach this team next year, and I feel they will be very successful."

The Bears had one of the top players in the country in Ryan Anderson, but injuries and inconsistencies prevented them from making the NCAA tournament. Cal beat New Mexico in the first round of the NIT but lost at Ohio State in the second round.

The Cal job has always been one of the most coveted in the West. Potential interest could come from former Stanford coach Mike Montgomery, among many others.

Andy Katz covers men's college basketball for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:24 pm
About freakin time. Braun was a serious underachiever. Decent recuiter but a terrible game day coach.

I heard on ESPN radio today that among the candidates to replace him is Mike Montgomery, Steve Lavin and St Mary's coach Randy Bennett

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:25 am
About freakin time. Braun was a serious underachiever. Decent recuiter but a terrible game day coach.

Decent Recruiter? The only big names he got were Leon Powe and i guess you could say Devon Hardin. How he let Quentin Thomas who was Powe's teammate at Oakland Tech go I dont understand. Also how he couldn't get others to stay in state like Demarcus Nelson who was from Sac and the all time leading scorer in California HS Basketball.

He couldn't get any big names or athletes to come, and he couldn't keep the local talent. That is why his teams were always about .500 and in the middle or below the pac-10 standings. They were never going to be Title contenders with Braun and it was time for him to go.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:08 am
BDIDDY707 wrote:

Decent Recruiter? The only big names he got were Leon Powe and i guess you could say Devon Hardin. How he let Quentin Thomas who was Powe's teammate at Oakland Tech go I dont understand. Also how he couldn't get others to stay in state like Demarcus Nelson who was from Sac and the all time leading scorer in California HS Basketball.

He couldn't get any big names or athletes to come, and he couldn't keep the local talent. That is why his teams were always about .500 and in the middle or below the pac-10 standings. They were never going to be Title contenders with Braun and it was time for him to go.

I'm not gonna claim I know much about NCAA basketball recruiting, but Demarcus Nelson went to Duke. That seems like a no brainer to me.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:14 pm
THANK F*CKING GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im a die hard bear fan jesus oh my god YESSS!!!!!
Go Ham
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:41 am
Looks like the Bears hired Monty. Decent hire I guess but think they could have done better.

Return to Sports Board