What will be the suprise team of 05-06?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:05 pm
In my mind, I was really hoping it would be the warriors and bounce to the playoffs but looking at the LA Clippers, they seem pretty much legit.

Roster:
1. Sam Cassel
2. Cuttino Mobley
3. Corey Maggete
4. Elton Brand
5. Chris Kaman

That already seems like a playoff starting roster, but they lack chemistry and their team is full of scorers.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:50 pm
Clippers have a good team this year, but I doubt they'll go far. Sam Cassell suddenly looks too old to help, Shawn Livingston will be good someday, Elton Brand is solid, Corey Maggette is simply a scorer, and Chris Kaman is still too green. And I don't think Cuttino can help ANY squad.

The Warriors won't be a surprise, by any means. Everyone's picked them as the comeback kids of this season. My pick for surprise is going to be the Memphis Grizzlies. Everyone's writing them off, but look: Damon Stoudamire and Eddie Jones are as good, if not better, than Jason Williams and Bonzi Wells. And Bobby Jackson is a great backup that'll help the team more than James Posey did. The only player they'll miss is Stromile Swift. But people are writing them off WAY too early...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:04 am
Memphis won't miss Swift too much. Remember they drafted Warrick which is a (somewhat) similar player. And I'm not writing them off, I'd never do that to ANY team with Fratello at the helm. They'll be fighting for the playoffs.

My pick for the surprise team is: (drums roll) Philly.

They have everything they need:

Shooters, check (Korver)
Defensive Stoppers, check (Iggy, Dalembert)
Scorers, check (Iverson, Webber)

Only real issue is that the bench is very thin, and maybe chemistry. But they may have enough to qualify as a surprise team.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:33 am
I believe that the Utah Jazz will do better than most expect them too. They have the team to be in the top 4 in the West. When playing well and healthy - AK-47, Boozer, Harpring, Okur, Giricek and now Deron Williams can play as well as anyone. This team has alot of players that are on the rise and some that need to prove themselves (Boozer).

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:12 pm
I think the Bucks have a chance to be a surpise team this year. The Magloire move with Ford coming back helps them. Course the real surprise will be me dressing up as a mime. Sorry just love Halloween....here's even more Halloween fun: http://www.creepycrossword.com

:evil:

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:23 am
migya wrote:I believe that the Utah Jazz will do better than most expect them too. They have the team to be in the top 4 in the West. When playing well and healthy - AK-47, Boozer, Harpring, Okur, Giricek and now Deron Williams can play as well as anyone. This team has alot of players that are on the rise and some that need to prove themselves (Boozer).

I think the AK will have a hard time adjusting back to regular after a season ending injury and a year with no basketball and Boozer hasn't proved to be a real threat in the west yet. Deron Williams isn't ready yet.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:26 am
AK has played really well during the European Championship this summer. He'll be fine. And Deron is one of the more ready rookies of this class. Plus, the other pg in Utah's roster are just awful...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:29 am
The Jazz have all the pieces but a few of their players are new to the team and they will have to get use to playing together. Deron Williams might just be the glue that keeps them all together. The frontline has so much potential and it all starts and ends with Kirilenko. The man is a machine and will soon be one of the best players in the nba!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:02 am
47 & Carlos are both solid players... but Harpring? Okur? Even Deron Williams wont make THAT big of a difference (at least, not this year). I see the Jazz barely missing the post season bar.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:01 pm
Harpring has always been very good in the Jazz and will be good off the bench. Deron Williams will contribute immediately and will be one of the favourites for ROY

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:09 am
ROY, sure, but as a league-wide guard, he's not gonna make that big of an impact. And Harpring could ONLY be good on the Jazz because they suck THAT bad... AK-47 better bolt first chance he gets, if you ask me!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:28 am
I'm not so high on the Jazz, they have some talente there (AK & Deron), but the rest of their roster is full of decent (Harpring, Devin Brown) to overrated players (Okur, Loozer, Giricek)...

Carlos Loozer is way overrated (at least to me). I'd rather have Troy Murphy than him, both are great rebounders, both score the same amount (in different ways, but that's not an issue) and both have no clue of what goes on on defense. And Murphy is cheaper. Case closed.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:47 am
If the Jazz can play as a team, which use to be a common thing with Jerry Sloan, they should be very competitive and likely to make the playoffs. Having a PG that can run a team really well can make a huge difference to the team's success

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:58 am
HEY, Boozer's on my fantasy team, dammit!!! Haha

But he IS on the trade block, if anybody wants to give me an offer?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:22 pm
His most likely on the trading block in real life too

Next

Return to Sports Board