Lost all respect for Lebron James

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:11 pm
sleandres wrote:Oh he is just jealous :mrgreen: Don't worry sf, you and I will always have the Giants to talk about :wink: :mrgreen: :shock:

Yeah, yeah. :roll: :wink:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:10 am
EMan32 wrote:
jimbob631 wrote:Not telling people who to vote for, but making people aware of issues around the world and influencing them, im sure Lebron could really do something about Nike's sweat shops, he brings in more money than the sweat shops save for the company.

not that im in favor of sweat shops, but you get rid of them and you might as well say goodbye to half the things owned by 90% of the american population and the greater part of the european population. costs of all items created in those shops for us buying them retail will go up considerably. suddenly a pair of jordans goes from $140 to $300. again, im not in favor of sweat shops...if only there was a way to keep production and cost the same without them i'd be all for it. personally i can go (and have been going) without top of the line stuff. i have maybe one real pair of nike's and a couple pair's of fake jordan's along with some van's and adidas. i dont support sweat shops, but i guess the fact that i have a pair of nike's it kinda contradicts that...???

either way, to ask lebron to speak up on the issue is kinda out there. i mean, yeah, i agree that he can make some kind of impact on the situation...but getting in the way of him and his contract is kinda asking too much. basically Ira Newble asked Lebron to get rid of damn near 100 million dollars. as i teammate, i wouldnt have questioned Lebron's morality publicly or put him on blast for anything. if they had talked privately about it before and lebron told him that he wants to change nik'e sweat shop system then i understand what newble was doing. but otherwise i still respect lebron and totally understand that he wouldnt want to get involved in so much of a political issue that goes way too deep into questioning his morality.

If I were Lebron I would try and do something, I really dont get the difference between having 20 million and 100 million. The price thing is just because cooperations are money hungry, look at Marbury's shoes (even tho I hate marbury) they are priced at 15 dollars and they r made of the same material as nikes. If u remove sweat shops from the equation they could still price the shoes at the same amount, they would just make less money but still a **** load. If an athlete like lebron or jordan would bring attention to these issues we would be a step closer to removing them. No matter the amount of money, its not ok for children to be working in those conditions or at all. Its just plain evil.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:19 pm
jimbob631 wrote:If I were Lebron I would try and do something, I really dont get the difference between having 20 million and 100 million. The price thing is just because cooperations are money hungry, look at Marbury's shoes (even tho I hate marbury) they are priced at 15 dollars and they r made of the same material as nikes. If u remove sweat shops from the equation they could still price the shoes at the same amount, they would just make less money but still a **** load. If an athlete like lebron or jordan would bring attention to these issues we would be a step closer to removing them. No matter the amount of money, its not ok for children to be working in those conditions or at all. Its just plain evil.

lebron wont change nike's ways tho. only nike has the power to change their ways. if lebron tries to change it and say that he wont sport nike's until they get rid of the sweat shops, they will drop his contract and he's dunzo. once again, lebron can NOT change the way nike does stuff. like aaustria said, no celebrity (no matter how big, how famous) is more powerful than a corporation as big as nike.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:59 pm
True, but if Lebron made a stand with other athletes under nike then they definitly could make a difference. Imagine if Michael came out against sweat shops. The bottom line is its not cool that athletes support these sports brands, its one thing to buy the shoes but its another to be advertise and market them.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:20 am
jimbob631 wrote:True, but if Lebron made a stand with other athletes under nike then they definitly could make a difference. Imagine if Michael came out against sweat shops. The bottom line is its not cool that athletes support these sports brands, its one thing to buy the shoes but its another to be advertise and market them.

to them tho, it's just shoes and money. you dont know that they support sweat shops. they support the fact that theyre getting paid
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:01 am
The chances of this story even being real are low. Furthermore, it was just a petition that Hu Jintao wouldn't have looked at anyway. Past that, China interfering with Sudan would make Iraq look like a walk in the park in comparison.

But my guess is Lebron didn't sign it because he knew it wouldn't do anything, he didn't want to become political, and he probably didn't know enough about the situation. If the situation even happened.

The problem with a player trying to speak out against capitalism is that the media is getting sponsored by these companies, and the media would begin attacking an anti-shoe player non-stop. Some people don't want to deal with that, they just want to play basketball.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:30 am
jimbob631 wrote:True, but if Lebron made a stand with other athletes under nike then they definitly could make a difference. Imagine if Michael came out against sweat shops. The bottom line is its not cool that athletes support these sports brands, its one thing to buy the shoes but its another to be advertise and market them.

I agree. This is the biggest positive in Stephon Marbury's career, the idea of making affordable sneakers. There are plenty of examples of athletes making stands, Nash being one of the latest, and Jordan's AWOl on this issue was truly disappointing. Athletes making a stand would absolutely make Nike change its ways. I mean who would ever have guessed that McDonald's would start using free range chickens or Starbucks carry fair trade coffee a few years back. If Lebron and Kobe and few others took a stand, the shoe companies would clean up their slave labor act in a blink.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:38 pm
coltraning wrote:

I agree. This is the biggest positive in Stephon Marbury's career, the idea of making affordable sneakers. There are plenty of examples of athletes making stands, Nash being one of the latest, and Jordan's AWOl on this issue was truly disappointing. Athletes making a stand would absolutely make Nike change its ways. I mean who would ever have guessed that McDonald's would start using free range chickens or Starbucks carry fair trade coffee a few years back. If Lebron and Kobe and few others took a stand, the shoe companies would clean up their slave labor act in a blink.

That's the part I can't understand. These athletes have so much talent the Association can't just get rid of them if they speak up. Sure, they may lose a contract, but if more and more players follow suit, the companies will be forced to change their ways.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:54 pm
The question is also, are you willing to pay twice as much for the shoes? I am not saying I am against it but you have to factor that in. That goes for a lot of things in the US. Would you be willing to pay 30$ for a burger so that the waiter and chef actually got paid? In the end the money won't come out of the corporation's pocket. Trust me on that. If a corporation does something responsible it's because they see marketing value in it.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:16 pm
Jimbo, Coltrane are right.
People have no idea what a concerted effort by NBA players could do to address say, the problems of sweat shops. The bad publicity would be a greater embarrassment for the corparations than many would realize.
Alas, these guys are just jocks. They're not political. There are a just a few socially conscious souls among them. But most of them, are just in a stage where their greatest interest and fascination is with their new toys.
I myself, wouldn't care about paying more for my sneakers.
Pestilence is right in that it's hard for us to ask other countries to not pusue what they may see as their own political interests, when we so zealously pursue ours.
War Years
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:07 am
cladden wrote:The question is also, are you willing to pay twice as much for the shoes? I am not saying I am against it but you have to factor that in. That goes for a lot of things in the US. Would you be willing to pay 30$ for a burger so that the waiter and chef actually got paid? In the end the money won't come out of the corporation's pocket. Trust me on that. If a corporation does something responsible it's because they see marketing value in it.

actually, the cost of the labor would make a negligible difference....there is a company called no sweat which makes t shirts, sneaks, etc...for basically the same price...a tshirt costs $1 more and the workers all get a living wage. basically, it is the obscene profits that make up most of the cost of shoes, not the wages...check it out - a way to help and get good quality stuff as well:

http://www.nosweatapparel.com/index.html
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:25 pm
coltraning wrote:
cladden wrote:The question is also, are you willing to pay twice as much for the shoes? I am not saying I am against it but you have to factor that in. That goes for a lot of things in the US. Would you be willing to pay 30$ for a burger so that the waiter and chef actually got paid? In the end the money won't come out of the corporation's pocket. Trust me on that. If a corporation does something responsible it's because they see marketing value in it.

actually, the cost of the labor would make a negligible difference....there is a company called no sweat which makes t shirts, sneaks, etc...for basically the same price...a tshirt costs $1 more and the workers all get a living wage. basically, it is the obscene profits that make up most of the cost of shoes, not the wages...check it out - a way to help and get good quality stuff as well:

http://www.nosweatapparel.com/index.html

Precisely. It isn't a matter of any good costing a significant amount more due to increases labor costs, it is a matter of the people at the top taking a 20 million annual bonus instead of 30 mil. The same can be said for why so many jobs are shipped overseas - it isn't because you can't have a profitable business model with the majority of employees stateside - it is just that extra edge that stockholders demand which forces labor offshore and overseas.

A lot of lives are shaped and moved so that shareholders can gain just a little more profit before they sell.
Previous

Return to NBA Forum