Another Reason Why Jazz Fans Are MORONS

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:40 am
And, once again, colt, I must say I think the TNT Drama program has exhaggerated the situation:

WrongDiagnosis.com wrote:Untreated, retinoblastoma is almost uniformly fatal, but with early diagnosis and modern methods of treatment the survival rate is over 90%

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/r/retinob ... /intro.htm

Let me clear: I'm not judging DFish as a father; I'm judging him as a businessman and a ball player. His daughter's condition is very treatable, especially given Fisher's deep pockets, and with a survival rate over 90%, you can't convince me that forcing the Jazz to release him from his contract so he could play for the Lakers wasn't a dick move on his part.

I'm sure his daughter is sick, I'm sure it's serious (as is any cancer), but I'm also certain TNT and ESPN have exhaggerated the situation to the point where plenty of you guys are acting like this is a fatal disease and Fisher is rushing to be by his daughter's side as her health fails. This couldn't be further from the truth. His daughter has an unfortunate disorder. My mother has psoriasis. That's unfortunate, too... but you won't see me leaving my job to live closer to home to be with her. It's treatable, even if there's no cure, and life goes on.

This reminds me of the SARS scare a few years back...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:45 am
32 wrote:And, once again, colt, I must say I think the TNT Drama program has exhaggerated the situation:

WrongDiagnosis.com wrote:Untreated, retinoblastoma is almost uniformly fatal, but with early diagnosis and modern methods of treatment the survival rate is over 90%

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/r/retinob ... /intro.htm

Let me clear: I'm not judging DFish as a father; I'm judging him as a businessman and a ball player. His daughter's condition is very treatable, especially given Fisher's deep pockets, and with a survival rate over 90%, you can't convince me that forcing the Jazz to release him from his contract so he could play for the Lakers wasn't a dick move on his part. I'm sure his daughter is sick, I'm sure it's serious (as is any cancer), but I'm also certain TNT and ESPN have exhaggerated the situation to the point where plenty of you guys are acting like this is a fatal disease and Fisher is rushing to be by his daughter's side as her health fails. This couldn't be further from the truth.

This reminds me of the SARS scare a few years back...

Dude............if you were a Father............that 10% would be enough.

Ohh and I dont have TNT/ESPN and dont even watch the news...........so Im not affected by it, I just know that ANY risk of death/disfigurement/disability/illness is enough for any father to act the way he did............Im not saying what he did was right, it was understandable.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:51 am
Well, strads, let me clarify: the sub-10% of fatalities occur when treatment is unavailable (ie, poorer families or 3rd world countries). Fisher does not fall into that subgenre. While I'm no father yet, I do know that the first thing my father did, when I was diagnosed with a pancreatitus 2 years ago, was go online and look up a bunch of information about it. After, roughly, 5 seconds of research, regarding RB, you realize that it's about as fatal, in modern day terms, as the common flu.

One more quote:

Sue Factor wrote:A century ago, Rb was 100% fatal. Today, in most cases, new therapies and treatment combinations save both eyesight and lives.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spo ... astoma.htm

I'm not saying it's a walk in the park. I'm saying that to leave the Jazz and play for the Lakers was an underhanded move by Derek Fisher. Probably a publicity ploy cooked up by his agent to get him some much needed press.
Last edited by 32 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:53 am
32 wrote:Well, strads, let me clarify: the sub-10% of fatalities occur when treatment is unavailable (ie, poorer families or 3rd world countries). Fisher does not fall into that subgenre.

One more quote:

Sue Factor wrote:A century ago, Rb was 100% fatal. Today, in most cases, new therapies and treatment combinations save both eyesight and lives.

I'm not saying it's a walk in the park. I'm saying that to leave the Jazz and play for the Lakers was an underhanded move by Derek Fisher. He's not the All-American good guy that the NBA playoff commercials are painting him out to be.

Fine.............I dont really care what the commercials are saying (mostly because I dont see them).............Ive just called it as Ive seen as a father myself.

Another debate over with...............maybe. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 am
Fair enough, my friend.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:58 am
Im off out to buy some smokes!............Ive smoked about 15 in the last 2 hours with all the debates! :mrgreen:

Today, I think my avatar truelly represented me :mrgreen: (not in this thread of course)

You watching the game tonight? Ill be staying up till about 6:00am to watch every last second of this biggy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:02 pm
I'll be watching. I'll be smoking, as well... but probably more of the herbal variety.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:12 pm
32 wrote:I'll be watching. I'll be smoking, as well... but probably more of the herbal variety.

Ahh, I see............explains alot. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:50 pm
Yep. Figured I'd start my Spring Break off right. :wink:
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:58 pm
32 wrote:Well, strads, let me clarify: the sub-10% of fatalities occur when treatment is unavailable (ie, poorer families or 3rd world countries). Fisher does not fall into that subgenre. While I'm no father yet, I do know that the first thing my father did, when I was diagnosed with a pancreatitus 2 years ago, was go online and look up a bunch of information about it. After, roughly, 5 seconds of research, regarding RB, you realize that it's about as fatal, in modern day terms, as the common flu.

One more quote:

I'm not saying it's a walk in the park. I'm saying that to leave the Jazz and play for the Lakers was an underhanded move by Derek Fisher. Probably a publicity ploy cooked up by his agent to get him some much needed press.

not to bring this debate back up again 32 and bigs, but as a father, when something like that comes up I'm sure the first thought would be to try and stay close to your daughter as much as you could. Nobody knows what was going on on a personal level. She might have been doing ok, but would like to have her father around more often. I'm sure if it were potentially fatal at the time, he wouldn't have played, at least i would hope so. I can't fault the guy especially when i don't know the situation, and these fans do not know the situation so they should have just let him be. It shouldn't even bother them that much, look how good they've been
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:05 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:not to bring this debate back up again 32 and bigs, but as a father, when something like that comes up I'm sure the first thought would be to try and stay close to your daughter as much as you could. Nobody knows what was going on on a personal level. She might have been doing ok, but would like to have her father around more often. I'm sure if it were potentially fatal at the time, he wouldn't have played, at least i would hope so. I can't fault the guy especially when i don't know the situation, and these fans do not know the situation so they should have just let him be. It shouldn't even bother them that much, look how good they've been

I see where you're coming from... but all I'm saying is that I can empathize with the Utah crowd. Derek Fisher's reasons for leaving the team seem very flimsy, when one looks closer at what, exactly, his daughter had. Furthermore, it seems like an outright admission of deciet when he signs with the Los Angeles Lakers to play a full-time schedule with them, after citing his daughter's illness as the reason he needed to get out of his contract. Utah fans should feel burned. And I don't blame them for booing him. If his daughter's illness was fatal, it'd be a different story... but RB has been proven to be extremely treatable. Nothing to break a contract about... and it's certainly very suspicious when he signs with his hometown Lakers to play a full year of ball.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:26 pm
True i get that, maybe he wasn't as informed himself at the time. But i guess i'm biased, i hate jazz fans
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:40 pm
bigstrads wrote:You watching the game tonight?

I'm up for the game tonight. Wont be on here, though. :wink:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:46 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Where you gonna be then? :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:51 pm
bigstrads wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Where you gonna be then? :wink:

Me to know and you to sit and wonder about. :wink:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
PreviousNext

Return to NBA Forum