THE BEST P.G IN THE NBA IS

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

WHO'S THE BEST P.G IN THE NBA?

BOOM DIZZLE
29%
CP3
62%
NASH
10%
D.WILLIAMS
No votes
PARKER
No votes
MR. BIG SHOT
No votes

Total votes : 21

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:06 pm
hoopitup wrote:Paul plays defense, probably more consistently than Baron. Baron takes a lot of defensive trips off and goes for the risky steal rather than play solid defense.

paul gets steals...there's a difference.

baron will shut you down, if/when he wants/needs to. paul doesn't have the ability to shut anybody down. he'll get abused if an opposing team has a PG that can post - like us - and chooses to focus on attacking CP.

as far as BD not playing full bore defense 100% of the time, ya, that's been well chronicled in this forum. the man already puts the offense on his shoulders, as far as kick-starting it...we can't expect that kinda effort on defense too 100% of the time...

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:43 pm
aletha33 wrote:
hoopitup wrote:Paul plays defense, probably more consistently than Baron. Baron takes a lot of defensive trips off and goes for the risky steal rather than play solid defense.

paul gets steals...there's a difference.

baron will shut you down, if/when he wants/needs to. paul doesn't have the ability to shut anybody down. he'll get abused if an opposing team has a PG that can post - like us - and chooses to focus on attacking CP.

as far as BD not playing full bore defense 100% of the time, ya, that's been well chronicled in this forum. the man already puts the offense on his shoulders, as far as kick-starting it...we can't expect that kinda effort on defense too 100% of the time...

Sorry, I repeat - Paul plays defense. He does much more than make steals. I do agree that he is vulnerable to postup guards, but otherwise he plays very good, consistent defense from what I've seen. Baron not only takes possessions off, but he plays very unsound defense much of the time, reaching in instead of playing position. When he wants to, he can shut someone down. But he doesn't do that much over the 82 game season.

I'm not complaining about how Baron plays, I'm just saying that overall Paul contributes more on both sides of the ball and is the better point guard.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:50 pm
not only does paul play defense, his team is a top defensive team in the nba which means he knows how to play team defense which is much more important than individual defense. He is without a doubt the best point guard in the league hands down. Only point guards who r better on defense r billups and maybe kidd.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:20 am
sorry...when we're comparing the defensive ability of baron to the defensive ability of CP, there isn't much to compare...

CP may be the more consistent performer, but BD will lock you down, plain and simple, when he wants or has to. CP can't, whether he wants to or not...

besides, CP has chandler to back him up ...BD has um, AB? who doesn't scare a soul...

the argument - at least for me - is not really who the better defender is, it is who is physically capable of giving 100% effort. we'd run baron into the ground by asking him to play defense as hard as he plays off offense. he already has too much responsibility.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:33 am
ur mising the point tho. Chris Paul is part of one of the best team defenses this year. While baron may have more physical tools, chris paul is the better defender by far.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:53 am
jimbob631 wrote:ur mising the point tho. Chris Paul is part of one of the best team defenses this year. While baron may have more physical tools, chris paul is the better defender by far.

no, i pretty sure im spot on with what the point is. you're giving points to CP b/c he's been more "consistent" throughout the regular season, which is fair enough...in that sense, you think he's the better defender. cool...

my point is, when it's time to play defense, when the pressure's on, when the game truly means something, BARON BY FAR is the better defender. that's not even debatable.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:08 pm
aletha33 wrote:
jimbob631 wrote:ur mising the point tho. Chris Paul is part of one of the best team defenses this year. While baron may have more physical tools, chris paul is the better defender by far.

no, i pretty sure im spot on with what the point is. you're giving points to CP b/c he's been more "consistent" throughout the regular season, which is fair enough...in that sense, you think he's the better defender. cool...

my point is, when it's time to play defense, when the pressure's on, when the game truly means something, BARON BY FAR is the better defender. that's not even debatable.

I totally agree with you...I just sometimes wish Baron didn't have to turn it, I wish he played like that all of the time. Of course it is not all his fault, he plays too many minutes, and I am sure would continue to get injurerd if he played that way 40+ minutes per night.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:46 pm
sleandres wrote:I totally agree with you...I just sometimes wish Baron didn't have to turn it, I wish he played like that all of the time. Of course it is not all his fault, he plays too many minutes, and I am sure would continue to get injurerd if he played that way 40+ minutes per night.

he's the only player i have ever followed my life in which there is such a discernible difference in the effort given from one game to the next. i think about all the other players in my life i have admired, none have obvious drop-offs in effort like BD.

but yes, i completely agree that it's not his fault...

bottom line, when it's show time, he steps up big time...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:08 pm
I find Baron the PG that plays the best defense. But still, I think Paul is the best in the league.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:33 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:I find Baron the PG that plays the best defense. But still, I think Paul is the best in the league.
Baron & D-Will are excellent defenders, but yeah, Chris Paul is the best in terms of being a pure pointguard.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm
epp1e wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:I find Baron the PG that plays the best defense. But still, I think Paul is the best in the league.
Baron & D-Will are excellent defenders, but yeah, Chris Paul is the best in terms of being a pure pointguard.

Yeah Baron and Williams have that size, strength and speed factor that helps their Defense
Previous

Return to NBA Forum