Lost all respect for Lebron James

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:48 pm
Sup folks! Check out this post I found on another forum. It's pretty interesting, to say the least..

Nomikal wrote:I recently read in the nytimes that Lebron James refused to sign a letter written by his teammate, Ira Newble. The letter was a appeal and request to the Chinese President for its involvement in the Sudan crisis that is taking place right now and which has claimed hundreds of thousdands of lives and displaced twice as many.

The reason for his refusal along with another teammate is their commercial deals with Nikey, and a chinese company, respectively. Sounds like people aren't lying when they say he's the next MJ, if you know what I mean.

Heres an article with more info on the situation: http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0524/p09s01-coop.html

Thoughts?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:25 pm
This is a difficult one.............for me, that kind of thing would be more to do with LeBron's advisers/agents telling that its not a good idea.

Im sure/hope there isnt many humans who not be on board with what Newble did............but when you involve the risk of losing multi million dollar endorsements deals, then it becomes slightly more complicated/risky for those involved.

For me, I wouldnt lose respect for LeBron over that, in a way it shows the pressure and "lock and key" way that his agents and people watch/dictate his every step.

Its the sad state of affairs these days that people in the limelight lose the ability to voice their opinions on difficult/important subjects...........just because they are spokes people for mutli billion dollar corporations..............thats why they call it "Selling out"...........as you pretty much "sell" your ability to able to speak out about something that may involve one of your sponsors.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:19 pm
the thing is this - if lebron did it, who could stop anyone from being agreat bball player as he is? so, logically, who could stop him from getting as much money as he wanted?!!!
so, the guy just has no guts, no politics in him...
just a bball player.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:15 pm
Truly don't care.

Nike exploiting other countries isn't very high on my moral dislikes throughout this world. Its not that I think it's right; its just that I honestly could give a sh*t about 100 other more important issues. LeBron James not putting his signature on a stupid, moral-kick letter from Ira Newble (that I'm sure the President of China would have given a passing glance before crumbling up and laughing about) does not upset me in the least. You got paper from Nike, so long as you abide by their rules, LeBron. Get your paper and don't trip about the NY Post or whatever the **** trying to get you in the papers again.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:21 pm
bigstrads wrote:This is a difficult one.............for me, that kind of thing would be more to do with LeBron's advisers/agents telling that its not a good idea.

Im sure/hope there isnt many humans who not be on board with what Newble did............but when you involve the risk of losing multi million dollar endorsements deals, then it becomes slightly more complicated/risky for those involved.

For me, I wouldnt lose respect for LeBron over that, in a way it shows the pressure and "lock and key" way that his agents and people watch/dictate his every step.

Its the sad state of affairs these days that people in the limelight lose the ability to voice their opinions on difficult/important subjects...........just because they are spokes people for mutli billion dollar corporations..............thats why they call it "Selling out"...........as you pretty much "sell" your ability to able to speak out about something that may involve one of your sponsors.

This is what I was think bigs...great take.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:57 pm
sleandres wrote:
bigstrads wrote:This is a difficult one.............for me, that kind of thing would be more to do with LeBron's advisers/agents telling that its not a good idea.

This is what I was think bigs...great take.

As usual my man...........thanks. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:59 pm
bigstrads wrote:As usual my man...........thanks. :mrgreen:

*NEARLY GAGS TO DEATH*

:wink:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:02 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
bigstrads wrote:As usual my man...........thanks. :mrgreen:

*NEARLY GAGS TO DEATH*

:wink:

Ahh leave me and Sleandres alone!............."We have a thiiiiiing.......gooooing onnnnnn" :mrgreen:
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:44 pm
I wish althletes would use their political power a little more but part of the reason they dont is because a lack of knowledge of certain situations. Drew Gooden did something like this a year ago with Darfur and lebron didn't sign because he didn't kno enough about the issue.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:00 am
double post
Last edited by saintdee on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:00 am
lmao.. why would the president of China care about Lebron? If Ira Newble really wanted to make a difference he needs to convince Yao Ming and Yi to sign.. and dear lord I hope athletes dont try to influce people politics.. we don't need everyone voting for the same person because King James said so.. let people make their own decisions.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:04 am
Not telling people who to vote for, but making people aware of issues around the world and influencing them, im sure Lebron could really do something about Nike's sweat shops, he brings in more money than the sweat shops save for the company.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:18 am
jimbob631 wrote:Not telling people who to vote for, but making people aware of issues around the world and influencing them, im sure Lebron could really do something about Nike's sweat shops, he brings in more money than the sweat shops save for the company.

not that im in favor of sweat shops, but you get rid of them and you might as well say goodbye to half the things owned by 90% of the american population and the greater part of the european population. costs of all items created in those shops for us buying them retail will go up considerably. suddenly a pair of jordans goes from $140 to $300. again, im not in favor of sweat shops...if only there was a way to keep production and cost the same without them i'd be all for it. personally i can go (and have been going) without top of the line stuff. i have maybe one real pair of nike's and a couple pair's of fake jordan's along with some van's and adidas. i dont support sweat shops, but i guess the fact that i have a pair of nike's it kinda contradicts that...???

either way, to ask lebron to speak up on the issue is kinda out there. i mean, yeah, i agree that he can make some kind of impact on the situation...but getting in the way of him and his contract is kinda asking too much. basically Ira Newble asked Lebron to get rid of damn near 100 million dollars. as i teammate, i wouldnt have questioned Lebron's morality publicly or put him on blast for anything. if they had talked privately about it before and lebron told him that he wants to change nik'e sweat shop system then i understand what newble was doing. but otherwise i still respect lebron and totally understand that he wouldnt want to get involved in so much of a political issue that goes way too deep into questioning his morality.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:31 pm
Corporations are more powerful than any famous person you can think of. Simple as that. lol.

That's me :D
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:13 pm
jimbob631 wrote:I wish althletes would use their political power a little more but part of the reason they dont is because a lack of knowledge of certain situations. Drew Gooden did something like this a year ago with Darfur and lebron didn't sign because he didn't kno enough about the issue.

I actually dispise when famous people use their popularity for political power, I think it forces people (especially young people) into a biased outlook. Everyone neds to think for themselves.

bigstrads wrote:Ahh leave me and Sleandres alone!............."We have a thiiiiiing.......gooooing onnnnnn"

Oh he is just jealous :mrgreen: Don't worry sf, you and I will always have the Giants to talk about :wink: :mrgreen: :shock:
Next

Return to NBA Forum