Interesting Article About the "What Ifs" of NBA

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32


Rookie
Posts: 98
» Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:26 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/080310

Discusses stuff like... what if Cleveland didn't get the first overall pick of 2003 & it went to Memphis? What if the Warriors' offer for KG was accepted? etc.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:21 am
I think i spend 24 hours a day sighing in relief over this one too, with the way monta has played. I wanted KG especially after i heard the rumors, but I like what we are building here. McHale is pretty dumb to pass that one up.

Rookie
Posts: 98
» Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:50 am
Yeah, after reading all the great offers McHale turned down... I seriously wonder how he keeps his job. Instead of going for 3 or 4 starters in exchange for KG, he went for one potential superstar in Al Jefferson... hence, most likely, repeating Minnesota's past.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1266
» Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:07 am
Pretty cool article. I think the major What Ifs are the Duncan one, the Chicago KG one, and the CP3 to Atlanta one.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:07 pm
I always thought it was a HUGE mistake for the Hawks to pass up on Chris Paul. Sure, they got Bibby now, but Paul is going to be a HOF one day. The kid knows how to take over and control the game, and yet how old is he? 24? 25? Damn, I'd kill to have him here once Baron's best days are behind him.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:08 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I always thought it was a HUGE mistake for the Hawks to pass up on Chris Paul. Sure, they got Bibby now, but Paul is going to be a HOF one day. The kid knows how to take over and control the game, and yet how old is he? 24? 25? Damn, I'd kill to have him here once Baron's best days are behind him.


CP... or Deron Williams. Any of those two would have the Hawks contending for the playoffs, and probably between the top 4 teams in the east.


What about Boozer leaving the Cavs?. Nobody is talking about that one, and it appears as the least important in the article, but Lebron and Boozer in the same team?. That would have made the Cavs an instant contender. That would be in my top 5.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:13 pm
TMC wrote:What about Boozer leaving the Cavs?. Nobody is talking about that one, and it appears as the least important in the article, but Lebron and Boozer in the same team?. That would have made the Cavs an instant contender. That would be in my top 5.


Yeah, I saw that article. But wasn't Boozer injury-prone at the time so they didn't want to bring him back?

Also, the Duncan column with him possibly signing with the Magic in 2000 was interesting.

Same with the Pacers/Pistons brawl. The Pacers were pretty good that season w/ Artest and O'Neal, but what would've happened if they were able to stay mature?
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5705
» Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
TMC wrote:What about Boozer leaving the Cavs?. Nobody is talking about that one, and it appears as the least important in the article, but Lebron and Boozer in the same team?. That would have made the Cavs an instant contender. That would be in my top 5.


Yeah, I saw that article. But wasn't Boozer injury-prone at the time so they didn't want to bring him back?


No, man. If I remember right, he shafted the hell out of them. They let him opt out of his current deal, so he could sign a long extension. He then went out and signed an even bigger deal with the Cavs. This is if my memory serves me correctly, though. Dont quote me on it until someone confirms this.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3074
» Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:03 pm
No, he left the Cavs to sign the bigger deal with Utah. Otherwise correct.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5705
» Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:06 pm
Sh*t, did I say Cleveland? I meant Utah. You knew I meant that. :wink:
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:46 am
Yep, that's what happened. That piece of sh*t that goes by the name of Carlos Loozer shated the hell out of the Cavs. He was a second rounder, so he signed a two year deal with a team option for the third year. The Cavs reached a verbal agreement with him, according to which they wouldn't pick up their option for that third year and they'd re-sign him to a multi-year deal that would pay him a lot more than that third year option.

Of course, once he hit free agency, Loozer signed an even bigger deal with the Jazz that the Cavs couldn't match.

Role Player
Posts: 218
» Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:51 am
Boozer is a shafter and I hope that he has a career ending injury soon.

Just kidding, that a little harsh, but what an a-hole! The Cavs with Boozer and Lebron would have been devasting. They definitely would have put up a better fight vs. the Spurs in the Finals.

P.S. if he did have a injury, I wouldn't feel bad at all. Not one bit.

P.S.S. Since he did go to Utah, I guess its fitting since d-bags stick together.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:51 pm
TMC wrote:Yep, that's what happened. That piece of sh*t that goes by the name of Carlos Loozer shated the hell out of the Cavs. He was a second rounder, so he signed a two year deal with a team option for the third year. The Cavs reached a verbal agreement with him, according to which they wouldn't pick up their option for that third year and they'd re-sign him to a multi-year deal that would pay him a lot more than that third year option.

Of course, once he hit free agency, Loozer signed an even bigger deal with the Jazz that the Cavs couldn't match.


Yeah, now I remember. What kinda crap is that? I mean, I could understand Arenas doing what he did because he wasn't going get paid big by the Dubs just yet. Wow, the Cavs sure get screwed out of a lot players.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:04 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
TMC wrote:Yep, that's what happened. That piece of sh*t that goes by the name of Carlos Loozer shated the hell out of the Cavs. He was a second rounder, so he signed a two year deal with a team option for the third year. The Cavs reached a verbal agreement with him, according to which they wouldn't pick up their option for that third year and they'd re-sign him to a multi-year deal that would pay him a lot more than that third year option.

Of course, once he hit free agency, Loozer signed an even bigger deal with the Jazz that the Cavs couldn't match.


Yeah, now I remember. What kinda crap is that? I mean, I could understand Arenas doing what he did because he wasn't going get paid big by the Dubs just yet. Wow, the Cavs sure get screwed out of a lot players.


Well, although Boozer proved himself a douchebag, and it was a total lack of respect for the franchise that drafted him, I also blame the Cavs. If you have an option for that third year, for god's sake, take it and pay the man after that year. Don't negotiate with him. That was a moronic move by a moronic GM (Jim Paxon, iirc)
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1357
» Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:58 pm
TMC wrote:Yep, that's what happened. That piece of sh*t that goes by the name of Carlos Loozer shated the hell out of the Cavs. He was a second rounder, so he signed a two year deal with a team option for the third year. The Cavs reached a verbal agreement with him, according to which they wouldn't pick up their option for that third year and they'd re-sign him to a multi-year deal that would pay him a lot more than that third year option.

Of course, once he hit free agency, Loozer signed an even bigger deal with the Jazz that the Cavs couldn't match.


That agreement would have been illegal though. Wouldn't it? I might be wrong here.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests