Concerned Sonics Fan

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:10 pm
I do think it's a terrible thing for a city to lose a major franchise.
Some of us remember that the Giants were going to be sold to Tampa. The league stopped it. The Giants were resurrected by private investors, who built a ballpark and now the Giants are very secure. The same thing could happen to the A's but it's at least they'd stay in the area.
I want the Sonics to stay in Seattle, but I don't think any fan support in the Bay Area would make much difference. It's too bad there's not better fan support in Seattle. Oklahoma City may have supported the Hornets well for a year but I do think an NBA franchise there is a cultural step back.
You should go after Gates and Boeing to fund a new stadium, but I don't think it would be philanthropic enough for Gates, and Boeing wants to bitch about not getting that government weapons contract. Try the civic responsibilty tack on Starbucks, or Amazon.
The reality is, I guess if there were a private consortium of investors, they would have come forward by now. But just like the Giants, you might not know until the last minute.
I wouldn't hold my breathe though.You know it all gets down to money.
War Years

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:25 pm
War Years wrote:I do think it's a terrible thing for a city to lose a major franchise.
Some of us remember that the Giants were going to be sold to Tampa. The league stopped it. The Giants were resurrected by private investors, who built a ballpark and now the Giants are very secure. The same thing could happen to the A's but it's at least they'd stay in the area.
I want the Sonics to stay in Seattle, but I don't think any fan support in the Bay Area would make much difference. It's too bad there's not better fan support in Seattle. Oklahoma City may have supported the Hornets well for a year but I do think an NBA franchise there is a cultural step back.
You should go after Gates and Boeing to fund a new stadium, but I don't think it would be philanthropic enough for Gates, and Boeing wants to bitch about not getting that government weapons contract. Try the civic responsibilty tack on Starbucks, or Amazon.
The reality is, I guess if there were a private consortium of investors, they would have come forward by now. But just like the Giants, you might not know until the last minute.
I wouldn't hold my breathe though.You know it all gets down to money.

It's not that we're not supporting our team (We had over 350 people at the state capitol for a rally on less than a day notice), it's just that our politicians aren't listening. They won't approve $75 million for our private consortium of investors that wants to buy the team. It has Steve Ballmer (Microsoft CEO), Jim Sinegal (Costco CEO), Matt Griffin (Real-Estate Developer) and John Stanton (Wireless Mogul). With arena funds and the purchase of a team, they would chip in about 83% of the funds for the arena. The private money is there.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:38 pm
War Years wrote:Oklahoma City may have supported the Hornets well for a year but I do think an NBA franchise there is a cultural step back.

Not to mention that they're dying to have a team right now... but what happens in 6 or 7 years if the team still hasn't reached the playoffs?. Because Memphis ain't supporting the Grizzlies much right now...

Sadly, that's what happens when a team with tradition leaves their town looking for riches elsewhere. Long term, it would be a better decision to stay in Seattle.

As for the private money, I think it's there. The problem is that Clay Bennett bought the Sonics with the idea of moving them to Oklahoma, and he ain't stopping now.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:03 am
TMC wrote:
War Years wrote:Oklahoma City may have supported the Hornets well for a year but I do think an NBA franchise there is a cultural step back.

Not to mention that they're dying to have a team right now... but what happens in 6 or 7 years if the team still hasn't reached the playoffs?. Because Memphis ain't supporting the Grizzlies much right now...

Sadly, that's what happens when a team with tradition leaves their town looking for riches elsewhere. Long term, it would be a better decision to stay in Seattle.

its not like the grizzlies did anything in vancouver :wink:

i agree with you that it'd be better for the sonics to stay in seattle. but obviously the politics have gotten in the way of whether or not the franchise moves. they saw that vegas and oklahoma city brought immediate money and the sonics right now is the easiest team to move.

a way to keep the sonics in seattle is for them to make the playoffs (not gonna happen this year and probably not next year). making the playoffs will then sky rocket the attendance at games (as well as more season tickets sold) which in turn means more money. though our warriors were never in any REAL danger of leaving the bay, imagine what the increase in our season tickets would do for the sonics. if i were the sonics GM id sign a big time FA this summer. a second star to durant, someone who can bring some immediate gratification to the fans and immediate results to the team..not necessarily bringing them to the playoffs, but definitely keeping them in the race until late in the season.

BaronBlue wrote:Wow. I thought Warrior fans were classier than this. I'm getting a better response from the Pacers fans. Just wait until one of your teams is in this position someday. And Should Baron be MVP? Hell yeah he should!

i dont see any of our teams leaving actually...the bay area is way too big of a market. well populated with general sports fans and enough fans to pack every arena/stadium for each repective team. warriors games are packed (even when we werent in the playoffs), giants games are packed, a's games are packed (mostly cuz of the specials they run and cuz there are always girls at an a's game), sharks games are packed, even the 49ers and raiders games are packed. point is, our stadiums fill even when our teams are playing poorly. hell, even our arena football games are packed..given the sabercats are good, but stil...ITS ARENA FOOTBALL.

seattle has some loyal fans...ill give you that...but not many sonic loyals. ive seen a lot of loyal mariner fans and seahawks fans (ive been to seattle a couple times and watched sporting events), but there arent many loyal to your bball team. 350 people on a day's notice...if given a week probably 1000? maybe 2000? either way, not enough. that number will get authorities to hear you out. but if those are the only ones that care, that means theyre the only ones in the arena. :dontknow:
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:40 am
EMan32 wrote:its not like the grizzlies did anything in vancouver :wink:

Yeah, bro. I know. I was just saying that new cities are not the answer. They'd be supporting the team for a few years, but if the team doesn't start winning big, that support goes away pretty soon. At least Seattle has the Sonics tradition by their side, while Vancouver and Memphis had no reason to support a team they don't care about unless they're winning.

EMan32 wrote:i agree with you that it'd be better for the sonics to stay in seattle. but obviously the politics have gotten in the way of whether or not the franchise moves. they saw that vegas and oklahoma city brought immediate money and the sonics right now is the easiest team to move.

a way to keep the sonics in seattle is for them to make the playoffs (not gonna happen this year and probably not next year). making the playoffs will then sky rocket the attendance at games (as well as more season tickets sold) which in turn means more money. though our warriors were never in any REAL danger of leaving the bay, imagine what the increase in our season tickets would do for the sonics. if i were the sonics GM id sign a big time FA this summer. a second star to durant, someone who can bring some immediate gratification to the fans and immediate results to the team..not necessarily bringing them to the playoffs, but definitely keeping them in the race until late in the season.

I doubt it. Seems like Bennett has already made up his mind. He's gonna move them no matter what happens in Seattle.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:33 pm
I actually think it's a good thing that the city is saying "no." I think it's bullshit that taxpayers should have to pay for arenas, they do nothing to improve the economy of the city and should be funded privately.
ImageImage
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:01 pm
move or not they just got blow by denver 168..it's really WTF
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:08 am
I'm against the move. Seattle is a great city with great sports fans and OK city is the sticks. The Sonics had some respectable years there with Kemp and Gary Payton. There's no way I'd chant "save the sonics" at a warrior game, but I wish my sports fans to the north some luck with this situation. although at this point it looks grim.

I still get pissed off when I see Utah and Jazz in the same sentence.
New Orleans needs to get that name back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Previous

Return to NBA Forum