Best and Worst Sports commentators or onair personalities

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:36 pm
I was thinking about the Warriors game on TNT tonight and I was thinking about the last nationally televised game of the Warriors and how annoying Jeff Van Gundy was while he was commentating. He kept mispronouncing Biedrins and Pietrus and pointing out really obvious things.
That got me thinking about who are all the sport people that you guys really cant stand and who are your favorites?

My favorites are: Woody Paige(Around the Horn), The guys from Inside the NBA, Skip Bayless( I know many will disagree).

The ones I cant stand are: Stephen A. Smith, Van Gundy, Bill Walton and Jim Rome.

Who do you guys love and hate?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:04 am
Ooooh, dude likes Skip & Woody... but dislikes Stephen A. Smith.

I have a feeling we might not get along. :( :mrgreen:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:24 am
Ones I Like:
TNT Guys, especially Sir Charles :D
The Lakers Guys (all they do is diss on players, and it's rather entertaining. For example, they called Vince Carter "Half Man, Half a Season")
The Clippers Guys (The old one always talks about Corey Maggette like he's in love with him e.g. "THIS MAN... IS A TRULY BEAUTIFUL PHYSICAL SPECIMEN" or "LOOK AT THOSE BEAUTIFUL RIPPLING MUSCLES", and the young one always talks about how much he'd love to get in the opposing team's cheerleaders' pants. And they always have extended conversations about how often people don't know who the hell they are ::lol:)

Ones I Don't Like:
Van Gundy
Stephen A. Smith... that is, when he argues with people. I generally agree with the stuff he says & respect him for that, but dude stop trying to remind people you're friggin King Kong (or rather, that you think you are). He especially likes to pick fights with Bill Walton. As a commentator, I guess he's alright. As a person, I think he's trash.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:36 am
Dude.

Your favorite announcers are 4 Los Angeles supporters and Charles "I hate the Warriors more than I hate cancer" Barkley?

...?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 am
The Clippers guys are funny to listen to, because they say absolutely nothing about basketball during the course of a game & the Lakers guys cause they diss players, like I said, including the Lakers. That's why I miss having Kwame Brown around these parts, half their commentary was about how bad he is. There was a game a couple months back where Kobe missed a couple dunks, and they wouldn't stop bagging on him. (Sidenote: The LA announcers always say good things about Baron... probably cause they're also UCLA alumni)
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:11 pm
32 wrote:Ooooh, dude likes Skip & Woody... but dislikes Stephen A. Smith.

I have a feeling we might not get along. :( :mrgreen:

haha. I have a love/hate thing with Skip, but Woody is the MAN!!! Especially when he turns on beastmode and pulls out the schedule

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:40 pm
mike and mike are cool skip is a little gay woody is awsome
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:50 pm
I like the TNT guys and yes Barkely because I liked him before and don't really believe he hates the Warriors. I haven't seen Woody Paige in a long time but he used to crack me up calling people Richard Heads. I don't like Tim Legler. and that's about it i think.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:58 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:I like the TNT guys and yes Barkely because I liked him before and don't really believe he hates the Warriors. I haven't seen Woody Paige in a long time but he used to crack me up calling people Richard Heads. I don't like Tim Legler. and that's about it i think.

i dont think charles dislikes the dubs either
T.S. Eliot
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:35 pm
I can't stand the Lakers commentators, Skip Bayless, or Gary Radnich

The guys that were on TNT last night were pretty good, I wouldn't mind having them more often.

I can't stand Charles, his whole Warriors thing was funny last year, but it's SOOOO old now and I'm tired of hearing it, he needs to come up with some new material.

On the radio I love Fitz and Brooks, they are my favorites (even though I never get to listen anymore since I'm out of the area and I'm usually working while they're on). Nationally I like Mike and Mike, they entertain me.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:41 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:I can't stand the Lakers commentators, Skip Bayless, or Gary Radnich

The guys that were on TNT last night were pretty good, I wouldn't mind having them more often.

I can't stand Charles, his whole Warriors thing was funny last year, but it's SOOOO old now and I'm tired of hearing it, he needs to come up with some new material.

On the radio I love Fitz and Brooks, they are my favorites (even though I never get to listen anymore since I'm out of the area and I'm usually working while they're on). Nationally I like Mike and Mike, they entertain me.

talk about needing new material gary radnich is awwwwful...
T.S. Eliot
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:46 pm
Here's my list:

The Anti-Christ:
Skip Bayless - I hate Skip Bayless. I was so happy when he left the Mercury. I was devastated, however, when I found out I'd have to hear him on ESPN. He is the worst and sums up everything that is wrong with sports journalism. He promotes sensationalism while screaming any opinion that will get him noticed. He knows nothing of sports, watches zero games, and takes no initiative to remedy any of this. He has hooves and horns and is the single greatest threat to liberty in the world.

Other terrible, terrible, talking heads:
Tim Legler - Idiot.
Stuart Scott - You are a punchline. Booyah.

Talking heads who are bad, but not terrible (yet):
Stephen A. Smith - Screamer but at least knows a little about the game.
Jay Mariotti - Idiot but makes fun of himself.
Bill Walton - seems like a nice guy but is an airhead.

Guys who I like:
Reggie Miller
Jim Rome - his tv show is meh but his radio show is too funny. Not so much him, but the emails that come in and his crew.
Jeff Van Gundy - His in game calls are so so but his blowout commentary is top notch. He'll talk about anything.
Tony Kornheiser/Michael Wilbon - they just have fun and aren't pompous.
Woody Paige - See above.
Jason Whitlock - I don't always agree with him but he at least comes from a sensible view and tries to keep things in perspective.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:01 pm
GUYS!!!...............its all about the Tolbert!..............man I miss him, what does he do these days?

Gotta say, I do love Marv, he is just the voice of the NBA (as a whole) for me.

I do like Doug Collins as well, hes a fun guy, alot of respect and passionate.............though some will disagree.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:04 pm
bigstrads wrote:GUYS!!!...............its all about the Tolbert!..............man I miss him, what does he do these days?

You mean Tom Tolbert? If so, he is on KNBR. He runs from 3-7 with Ralph Barbieri on the "Razor and Mr. T Show." If you dont mean him, disregard this. :wink:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:11 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
bigstrads wrote:GUYS!!!...............its all about the Tolbert!..............man I miss him, what does he do these days?

You mean Tom Tolbert? If so, he is on KNBR. He runs from 3-7 with Ralph Barbieri on the "Razor and Mr. T Show." If you dont mean him, disregard this. :wink:

Cool, I did mean Tom..............I used to love his game commentary though, when did he stop that? it was for one of the major networks.

He just stuck out in my head as someone I liked............and hes a former Warrior of course, although that didnt factor into my mentioning him............I just think hes abit of a dude.
Next

Return to Sports Board