32's Two Minute Ramble: ORLANDO MAGIC

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:48 am
Orlando Magic

Where They've Come From...

The Magic have always been an up-and-down franchise. They started as an expansion team, became an NBA Finals contender, got kicked to the curb when Shaq bolted, rejuvinated themselves with Tracy McGrady, suffered a season without him, but now look to be on rise again. For a team who's either up or down at all times, I'd say they're pretty much in the middle at the moment.

C+

Where They Are...

At the moment, Steve Francis is the team's best player. He's a Top 10 guard in the league who has a knack for both scoring and playmaking. He's a great puzzle piece, but he won't get them there himself. Questions surrounding Grant Hill are always going to buzz as long as he's in the league (and probably afterwards, too). The truth is that he played an amazing full season last year (which has become uncharacteristic of him in the past 5 years). He lacks his former athletic advantages (namely, his explosiveness off the ground), but his jump shot seems as fresh as ever. Hill can contribute in rebounds, assists, defense, and scoring... but everytime he comes down on his mangled ankle, it's Russian Roulette for Orlando Magic. He'll be a great contributor, but Orlando can't make him a major factor because of his injury risk. Whatever they get from him is gravy; but they can't expect much because he'll disappoint. Hedo Turkoglu and Kelvin Cato are also role players that make a difference to the Magic's season. The team's success will reflect that of these players, as well. If they have career years, expect Orlando to go far. Unfortunately, that looks unlikely, so early playoffs to going home early seems about right.

C-

Where They're Going...

In this league, what talent you develop counts for a lot. The Warriors have been a prime example of that, as well as the Mavericks. While the Magic don't have many examples of it as of late; their single example is probably the best in the league: Dwight Howard. A league-franchise player in the making, Howard has all the talent, ability, and physical stature to become the next Kevin Garnett. Only LeBron James ranks higher than him in young players looking to take over the league. In his rookie year, he averaged a double-double coming out of high school. Give Howard another 4 to learn the game (and turn 24), and he'll be a marquee player that teams will be lusting for. His future alone is enough to immediately call the Magic a future contender. Their future looks brighter in 5 years than it does now. Factor in Jameer Nelson's improvement (and pray they still have a healthy Steve Francis) and you've got a serious run at the Eastern Conference Finals (maybe even the big show itself!).

A-
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:11 pm
Uh?, are you going to do one of these for every team in the league?, or maybe there's a reason to talk about the Magic...

Well, the Magic, um, where to start?, hell, yeah, their front office may be the worst in the league. They've added Keyon f***ing Dooling & Travis Diener, botched the draft pick and brought back Brian Hill as the Head Coach. That was their offseason. At least they have Dwight & Jameer. Those two are the future of that team.

Sadly, they don't have a great present. I don't think they can even make the playoffs.

Ok, Nuggets & Magic done, 28 to go.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:21 pm
... is it wrong to discuss other teams in the league? I mean, these are our competition...?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:29 pm
Hey, I'm the one answering each and every one of these post. They're cool, that goes without saying, just wondering if you plan on doing 30 threads (29, the Warriors doesn't count as this is our board).

Why not do them all in one big "32's Five Hour Ramble: The State of the League".?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:03 pm
I dunno if I'd do all 30... but some teams are sticking out to me. The Nuggets seem over-rated to me, and I wanted to point out the amazing future Dwight Howard has with the Magic. It's mostly just exploring my own thoughts, really, and letting everybody see them. I only take 2 minutes each to scratch the top of my head per team...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:08 pm
Ok, I'll prolly do a couple myself once I have the time. It would take me more than two minutes each.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:18 am
It's good that Player 32 has alot to say about some teams, gives something to talk about.

I also don't reckon they'll make the playoffs, simply because they are too young and because they always fuk it up! With Francis (if he can finally play great and be the star he was suppose to be), Dwight Howard and Grant Hill (barring injury, this guy is still one of the best players in the league), the Magic always have a chnce to be successful but Hill will only play for another 2 or 3 seasons. Jameer Nelson looks like a future star and he looks like a PG that can do it all.

I reckon that in 3 years, if they keep all their young potential stars, they could be one of the best in the East.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:48 am
From the Magic, I only like Dwight and Jameer. Hill is a great role player, but not a star anymore, and Francis could be a star, if he played with the same gritty attitude Iverson does. But he doesn't.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:33 am
But with 5 or 6 solid to very good players, the Magic will always have a chance of soing well. They just have to put it all together obviously.

Francis will never be anything special I reckon. He has had highlights in his career but he has failed to make his teams definate playoff teams let alone championship caliber. The Rockets with him only made the playoffs once

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:47 am
I dunno, man... I'd say Steve Francis is going to be a huge reason they'll make it in a few years. Sure, Dwight Howard's going to be the main reason, but it'll just solidify his superstar status.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:53 am
He has been around for some 5 years and I think he has actually gone backwards a little bit. I don't think he'll ever become a superstar but obviously he will be a major part of any success the Magic have

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:42 am
He's gone backwards because his teams have only gotten worse and worse, though. Steve Francis is an amazing playmaker/scorer. If given the proper cast, he'd be huge.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:55 pm
Great PGs are judged by whether they make the players around them better. I don't think Francis has been that successful at that

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:07 pm
Cuttino sure bennefited from Steve Francis... does he not count?

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:38 pm
I dunno if u guys have notice but i see a similarity of Dwight Howard and Amare's rook years. I truely think we have a star in the making. 32 u say 4 years for him to be good, i see him becoming a star in a year or two tops. Sleeper pick in the draft
Next

Return to Sports Board