MONTA

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3069
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: San Jose
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:01 pm
Now just a second: This draft steal won't get away from Warriors
March 6, 2008
By Matt Steinmetz
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com






Back on Feb. 11, the Washington Wizards visited the Warriors, and Gilbert Arenas was back in the arena where he began his NBA career.

Arenas didn't play that night because he was rehabbing from left knee surgery. But people still wanted to hear from him.


Monta Ellis will be a restricted free agent, whereas Gilbert Arenas was unrestricted. And that makes all the difference. (Getty Images)
Arenas, who was a second-round pick of the Warriors in 2001, was asked about Golden State's Monta Ellis, who also had slipped out of the first round in 2005. Now in his third season, Ellis is in some ways the "new" Arenas, a player who has gone from draft-day afterthought to star.

"Hopefully they can keep him this year," Arenas said of Ellis, who will become a restricted free agent this summer. "Everybody knows he's free, so everybody's going to want him. So hopefully they don't make the same mistake on him that they made with me."

Don't worry, Gilbert. That's not likely to occur.

After spending two seasons with the Warriors, Arenas became an unrestricted free agent in 2003. Considering he hadn't even accumulated $1 million through those two years of NBA pay, it was hardly a surprise when Arenas signed a six-year, $65 million offer sheet from the Wizards.

The Warriors, over the salary cap at the time, were trumped. They had 15 days to match Washington's offer but were in no position to do so. All they could muster was a one-year, $4.9 million deal -- the mid-level exception -- with the hope that Arenas would delay (significant) financial gratification for one more year, earn his Bird rights, then sign a long-term deal with the Warriors in 2004.

Didn't happen.

So there went Arenas, who had just won the NBA's Most Improved Player award, to D.C., leaving his Bay Area fan base to curse the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, which seemingly penalized the Warriors for uncovering Arenas with the 31st overall pick.

Now, fast forward to 2005, with the Warriors once again striking gold in the second round, this time with Ellis and the 40th pick.

Ellis, like Arenas, didn't do much for the first half of his rookie season, then started to show flashes of brilliance late in the year. In his second season, Ellis won the NBA's Most Improved Player award. Just like Arenas.

Uh-oh. You could hardly blame Warriors fans for fearing the worst -- that another cat-quick, talented guard was going to get away.

Advertisement



But a lot has changed since Arenas walked away from the Warriors. In fact, the Arenas-Ellis circumstances aren't the same at all. And this time, the Warriors should benefit.

First off, Ellis signed a three-year contract after he was drafted, meaning the Warriors would hold his full rights and can match any offer he receives this summer without regard to their salary-cap status.

Also, the NBA has since put in place what Bay Area fans call the "Gilbert Arenas rule," which makes it easier for a team to keep its second-round selections by limiting what other teams can offer.

In other words, the "un" in unrestricted made all the difference in the world when Arenas left. It will be the Warriors' call whether Ellis stays or goes. And he isn't going anywhere.

Last summer, the Warriors traded their face of the franchise, Jason Richardson, for a draft pick and $10 million trade exception. The reason was simple: They know that this summer they're going to have to pony up for both Ellis and Andris Biedrins, also a free agent.

Ellis is out of the shadows of teammates Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson and has forged his own identity. Ellis has both end-to-end speed and first-step quickness. It is a combination few players possess, and on top of it all, Ellis has proved to be a phenomenal finisher.

Oh, and he has the mid-range jumper, making him a nightmare matchup.

Ellis is coming off a historic February, one in which he became just the eighth guard in NBA history to shoot 60 percent or better from the field in a month.

That list boasts names such as John Stockton, Steve Nash and Sidney Moncrief. But while each of those players accomplished the feat by averaging 12 or fewer shots per game over that period, Ellis averaged 17.5 shots per game.

He went 11-for-12 from the field against Chicago, 12-for-15 the next game against Sacramento. He went 18-for-27 from the field against Phoenix and, as February drew to a close, 14-for-22 against Seattle.

Said Arenas: "He's good, and playing in a system like that makes him look even better. That's why for him, it's better that he stays here, because if he goes somewhere else, they might not play the same style he plays."

For the season, Ellis is averaging 19.5 points per game on .534 shooting. His game is growing at a rapid rate. Last season, Ellis shot just 27 percent from 3-point range. So what did he do this season? He has virtually eliminated the 3-pointer from his repertoire (only six attempts in the last 29 games) and instead has relied on a consistent 18-footer and an uncanny ability to get to the rim and finish there.

How much better Ellis can become is anyone's guess. But one thing is for sure: He'll be improving in a Warriors uniform.
Image

All Star
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: surviving in your world
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:32 pm
he will step up the defense and work on his three not thate we need another three point shooter....but baron and jack wont be around 4ever
then his three will be needed
Image
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13509
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:24 pm
Curse the collective bargaining agreement...?

How about cursing that greedy pig, Gilbert Arenas, for not giving the Warriors one year (by ANYBODY's standards, ample time) to clear cap space and keep somebody who was clearly a franchise level player?? We give him a shot, making him a 2nd round selection, give him a starting role where he can display his abilities on a nation-wide scene, earning him the acolades of the league in the form of the MIP, and a fat pay raise from the buttfucking Washington Wizards... and you're telling me that Gilbert wasn't willing to take a FIVE MILLION DOLLAR SEASON, if it meant a long-term deal next year which (likely) would have been just as rich as the Washington one???

**** Gilbert Arenas. I despise him and his "oh, it wasn't my fault" attitude about leaving Golden State. He's a greedy pig that repaid us giving him a chance by skipping town. **** him.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 1128
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:06 am
Location: East Bay
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:40 pm
its nice to know ellis and biedrins will be here for a while. i'd hate to max out our cap space when baron's contract is up tho. i hope he stays for less.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:21 pm
Location: Menlo Park, California
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:32 pm
32 wrote:Curse the collective bargaining agreement...?

How about cursing that greedy pig, Gilbert Arenas, for not giving the Warriors one year (by ANYBODY's standards, ample time) to clear cap space and keep somebody who was clearly a franchise level player?? We give him a shot, making him a 2nd round selection, give him a starting role where he can display his abilities on a nation-wide scene, earning him the acolades of the league in the form of the MIP, and a fat pay raise from the buttfucking Washington Wizards... and you're telling me that Gilbert wasn't willing to take a FIVE MILLION DOLLAR SEASON, if it meant a long-term deal next year which (likely) would have been just as rich as the Washington one???

**** Gilbert Arenas. I despise him and his "oh, it wasn't my fault" attitude about leaving Golden State. He's a greedy pig that repaid us giving him a chance by skipping town. **** him.


As much as I would have liked Gilbert to have done that I have to say. Personally I probably wouldn't. Suppose he got injured and never could play again during that year? Sure. He'd have five mill but you can't lie back for the rest of your life and live like a king on that. You can't hook your family up with houses and cars either. I can't seriously blame him for not taking the one year deal.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:53 pm
cladden wrote:As much as I would have liked Gilbert to have done that I have to say. Personally I probably wouldn't. Suppose he got injured and never could play again during that year? Sure. He'd have five mill but you can't lie back for the rest of your life and live like a king on that. You can't hook your family up with houses and cars either. I can't seriously blame him for not taking the one year deal.


Exactly. None of us would have risked $60 million guaranteed. If this were the NFL, where only the signing bonus is guaranteed, it would have been different. But a $60 million contract?. Fully guaranteed?.

He would have been crazy to reject that. Not for loyalty to the team, not for any other reason. His first loyalty had to be for his family, and he knew that he'd be set for life (and several more generations) with that kind of money.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13509
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:16 am
That's fine. That's his decision. But he owes that $60 million to the Warriors, first and foremost. Without a proper role and the exposure, letting other teams know what a star he was, Arenas wouldn't have had a market value of $60 million to begin with. It was a dirt bag move by him. Barring a freak accient that happens once every 25 years completely outta the blue to traditionally healthy players, Gilbert would have been fine.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:21 pm
Location: Menlo Park, California
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:06 pm
32 wrote:That's fine. That's his decision. But he owes that $60 million to the Warriors, first and foremost. Without a proper role and the exposure, letting other teams know what a star he was, Arenas wouldn't have had a market value of $60 million to begin with. It was a dirt bag move by him. Barring a freak accient that happens once every 25 years completely outta the blue to traditionally healthy players, Gilbert would have been fine.


Completely true. I am just saying I don't think you can expect a person at that point in their career to take that risk. When have anyone ever done that?
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:40 pm
I find Gilbert entertaining and a helluva blog writer. Like many have said, it is a free market (sort of), and a lot of die hard capitalists turn into socialists when it comes to the right of the player to take the best offer. In real life, none of us would turn down the corporate gig that pays double because we made our rep working for the other firm, so why do expect athletes to? The salaries are way out of whack for sure, but it is peanuts compared to haliburton and enron, and unlike Dick Cheney, Gilbert puts on a great show. I don't think there is a person on this board who would turn down a salary guaranteed to pay 12 times as much as the other business' offer...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Modesto, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:53 pm
coltraning wrote:I find Gilbert entertaining and a helluva blog writer. Like many have said, it is a free market (sort of), and a lot of die hard capitalists turn into socialists when it comes to the right of the player to take the best offer. In real life, none of us would turn down the corporate gig that pays double because we made our rep working for the other firm, so why do expect athletes to? The salaries are way out of whack for sure, but it is peanuts compared to haliburton and enron, and unlike Dick Cheney, Gilbert puts on a great show. I don't think there is a person on this board who would turn down a salary guaranteed to pay 12 times as much as the other business' offer...


:D Thank you...I am so glad another person on the board sees it my way. Not to mention, the Warriors cannot be soley credited for the success of Gilbert Arenas. Yes they drafted him, but his success is his, not the Warriors.
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:00 pm
sleandres wrote:
coltraning wrote:I find Gilbert entertaining and a helluva blog writer. Like many have said, it is a free market (sort of), and a lot of die hard capitalists turn into socialists when it comes to the right of the player to take the best offer. In real life, none of us would turn down the corporate gig that pays double because we made our rep working for the other firm, so why do expect athletes to? The salaries are way out of whack for sure, but it is peanuts compared to haliburton and enron, and unlike Dick Cheney, Gilbert puts on a great show. I don't think there is a person on this board who would turn down a salary guaranteed to pay 12 times as much as the other business' offer...


:D Thank you...I am so glad another person on the board sees it my way. Not to mention, the Warriors cannot be soley credited for the success of Gilbert Arenas. Yes they drafted him, but his success is his, not the Warriors.


Congrats on the thousanth post. :mrgreen:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Modesto, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:21 pm
Thanks sf...and how poetic that it happened with me defending Gil :wink:
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:03 pm
sleandres wrote:Thanks sf...and how poetic that it happened with me defending Gil :wink:


Could be worse. Could be you defending Pietrus. That would be pretty bad. :wink:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:18 pm
Yeah dude, you gotta take guaranteed money especially when it's up to that amount. That contract means your set for life. If you get hurt, it's tough and you won't get the big money. I think it's neither party's fault.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:08 am
Congrats on your 1000 post, sleandres. Well, 1005 already. :D
Next

Return to News Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron