Boston to sign forward PJ Brown

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:08 pm
According to Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge , P.J. Brown will sign with the Celtics soon.

It is uncertain when the forward will begin practice with the team or play in his first game.

The 38-year-old Brown, who has been courted to return to his home state team, the New Orleans Hornets, has been inactive this season. The Celtics have two roster spots to fill before Friday's playoff eligible deadline. The Celtics hope to land veteran guard Sam Cassell if he is bought out by the Clippers. Brown, who has 14 years of experience, would bring needed depth in the frontline. The 6-foot-11 forward is known for his rebounding and tough interior defense. He averages 9.2 points and 7.8 rebounds per game for his career.

Source: Boston.com

Found this on yahoo sports, I am not sure if Brown is really what they need, but I guess he and Cassell are pretty decent additions to Boston's roster heading into the post season.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:11 pm
I think they are two really good pick ups for them............savy, experienced, Sam is a winner and they dont need to really do much.

Not sure whether the Sam one will happen, with the deadline being Friday, not sure thye can negotiate a buy out in time...........although Im sure Ainge will call some favours and get things to go his far again..............
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:25 am
I don't expect much from PJ Brown. Good player, but his career is already over.

I think Sam would be a good addition, tho. If they can make it happen, of course.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:33 pm
bigstrads wrote:I think they are two really good pick ups for them............savy, experienced, Sam is a winner and they dont need to really do much.

Not sure whether the Sam one will happen, with the deadline being Friday, not sure thye can negotiate a buy out in time...........although Im sure Ainge will call some favours and get things to go his far again..............

Wow..............looks like I was wrong about Cassell =

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/cassel ... 80228.html

Clippers Waive Guard Sam Cassell

The Los Angeles Clippers today waived point guard Sam Cassell.

In 38 games played this season, Cassell averaged 12.8 points, 4.7 assists, 2.8 rebounds and 25.7 minutes per game. In his 15th NBA season, Cassell had missed the last four games with a sprained right wrist while missing 12 games earlier in the season with a strained left calf.

“After weighing all of the options and after conversations with Sam we believe this is the best solution for this team,” stated Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor. “We know and appreciate the many contributions Sam made during the last three years, and we wish him nothing but the best.”

Cassell notched his most productive season with the Clippers during the 2005-06 campaign when he tallied 17.2 points and 6.3 assists while helping lead the Clippers to within one game of the 2006 Western Conference Finals. During the Clippers’ 2006 Playoff run, Cassell averaged 18.0 points, 5.8 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 33.7 minutes in 12 games played.

Suppose hes gonna be with Boston by Friday then.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:48 pm
Yeah, don't know why they need Brown. Powe and Davis are already solid backups. But decent pickup, anyway.

Cassell? Good signing. They'll need him once they meet Detroit and/or Cleveland. Better guy to use than Rondo once they go up against those teams, IMO.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:58 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Cassell? Good signing. They'll need him once they meet Detroit and/or Cleveland. Better guy to use than Rondo once they go up against those teams, IMO.

I'm not sure about that. I think Sam will help them, but I like Rajon Rondo. Sam should help coming from the bench and scoring and with leadership and so on, but Rondo should still be their main option at PG.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:14 pm
Jesus. And these guys were trying to get Reggie to come back before the start of the season. :roll:

The sheer amount of burnt out vets incapable of winning a title on their own that now wanna cash in on Garnett's cash camel is sickening. Why don't they try persuading Vlade to come outta retirement, too?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:16 pm
32 wrote:Why don't they try persuading Vlade to come outta retirement, too?

Because he smells... or so I've heard. :wink:

Return to Sports Board