More time for Warriors Wright; Harrington, Webber struggling

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:27 pm
he Golden State Warriors may finally have persuaded coach Don Nelson to begin using talented rookie Brandan Wright.

"I didn't know he'd be ready this year, but he may have proved me wrong," Nelson said after Wright was impressive in a loss to Atlanta. "Maybe we should start looking at him and see what he has to offer."

However, it appears Nelson has about had it with Al Harrington, who'll likely be available this summer. "Whatever momentum we had, [Harrington] always seemed to be there to miss a shot or make a turnover or a foul or something," Nelson said after the Atlanta loss.

Neither is the Chris Webber experiment working out particularly well for the Warriors. They are 3-3 in the games he has played and he's averaging 4.3 points and 3.7 rebounds and slowing everything down while shooting just 46 percent.

Source: Chicago Tribune
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:34 pm
We've known Harrington would hit the trading block as soon as Wright was ready to contribute. There's no sense paying $9 million a season to a guy that'll be coming off the bench. If Brandan Wright's ready, lets move Al for expirers and rotation (read: bench) players.

However, I'm not entirely sure the Warriors are ready to drop Harrington yet. While its true they wanna do it before Wright blows up (to keep Harrington's relative value high), it'd be foolish to put all the eggs in Brandan's basket based on one 25-minute performance. At the season's end, Al very well might be shopped... but it would take a miracle second half from the kid to force that.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:10 pm
Mr.KC wrote:he Golden State Warriors may finally have persuaded coach Don Nelson to begin using talented rookie Brandan Wright.

"I didn't know he'd be ready this year, but he may have proved me wrong," Nelson said after Wright was impressive in a loss to Atlanta. "Maybe we should start looking at him and see what he has to offer."

However, it appears Nelson has about had it with Al Harrington, who'll likely be available this summer. "Whatever momentum we had, [Harrington] always seemed to be there to miss a shot or make a turnover or a foul or something," Nelson said after the Atlanta loss.

Neither is the Chris Webber experiment working out particularly well for the Warriors. They are 3-3 in the games he has played and he's averaging 4.3 points and 3.7 rebounds and slowing everything down while shooting just 46 percent.

Where the hell does that comment come from?.............is this the Chi Tribune making crap up again?

If Nellie said that............I hope he means just for this game, as Al has kept us in/put us in the lead/won games for us more times than hes been a momentum killer...........damn, recently we were talking about how he always seem to do well in the first half or early stretches and is then just benched for no apparant reason.

However I do agree that he is expendable, especially if we could get a young, tough, bruising inside big guy for him.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:23 pm
Mr.KC wrote:he Golden State Warriors may finally have persuaded coach Don Nelson to begin using talented rookie Brandan Wright.

Very typical Nelson. He has made comments like this numerous times about Baron, Jack, Pietrus and Matt Barnes over the last two years...it is his way of motivating them to prove him wrong. He also made comments like this about Dunleavy and Murphy and then he traded them. I don't think it serves as an indication one way or another as to how Nelly feels...he doesn't give things away that easily.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:41 pm
Harrington is Nelson's whipping boy. Why? Because it works.

Everytime Nellie banishes Al to the bench, calls him fat, shoots on his game, etc... Al seems to come back with a 3-4 game hot streak that pushes the Warriors past marquee teams. Nelson learned to coach from his mentor, Red Auerbach. Red has been quoted saying that Bill Russell would get lazy from time to time and he had to bust his chops every now and then to get him focused. Don uses the same method to motivate Al... and, if you recall, he also attempted it with Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, and Mickael Pietrus.

When Nelson really doesn't like someone, he buries them on the bench and never mentions them. Patrick O'Bryant and Ike Diogu are good examples of that; where Nellie clearly wasn't interested in playing them and didn't even attempt to motivate them. To his credit, Nelson has been saying nothing but good things about Brandan Wright since the day he reported to camp.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:51 pm
I agree 32, Al seems to respond well to Nellie's negative criticism. I think that speaks very well to how highly these guys view Nelson. Hopefully it works and Harrington goes on a nice little tear!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:57 pm
Well this is coming from Nelson after a home loss and a miserable performance by Al. Though, Harrington has always been an inconsistent scorer, so we can't expect him to perform every night. The thing is that with Jackson and Biedrins out, Harrington has higher expectations. And if he doesn't fulfill them, there will be talk. Especially since Wright showed up to play over Al.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:39 pm
I think we still need a backup PG and a backup C. If we could snatch those, and maybe a decent pick, I would be happy with any trade. But we have to get frontcourt value in return, because Al DOES have value.

Return to News Articles