sleandres wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
sleandres wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
sleandres wrote:Agent Zer0.

Damn. You like Arenas, man? Speak for yourself. :wink:

Whats wrong with him :mrgreen:

He is a traitor. :mrgreen:

So you would have taken the money? The truth is I love him because he hates coach K.

We gave him a chance when nobody else would. He owed us something, and he completely bailed. I understand why he did it, but I dont like it.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 pm
if we were able to match offers, then id understand your beef sfx3...but we couldnt. that rule wasnt made until after and it was dubbed the gilbert arenas clause. either way he's not one of my favorite non-warriors anyway. id have to go with Artest and GWall. i got a soft spot for people who play defense. as far as my style of play tho...i think i play more like elton brand/ larry johnson...if you can find a mix of those two..thats me haha. id like to become more of a defender tho :|
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:36 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
sleandres wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
sleandres wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

So you would have taken the money? The truth is I love him because he hates coach K.

We gave him a chance when nobody else would. He owed us something, and he completely bailed. I understand why he did it, but I dont like it.

you could look at it from a different perspective, like I did and blame the league's CBA

Collective Bargaining Agreement wrote:37. What is the "Gilbert Arenas" provision?

With the previous CBA it was sometimes possible to sign restricted free agents to offer sheets their original teams couldn't match. This happened when a player was an Early Bird or Non-Bird free agent (see question number 19) and the team didn't have enough cap room to match a sufficiently large offer. For example, Gilbert Arenas was Golden State's second round draft pick in 2001, and became an Early Bird free agent in 2003. Golden State therefore could only match an offer sheet (or sign Arenas themselves) for up to the average salary (see question number 24), which was about $4.9 million. Washington signed Arenas to an offer sheet with a starting salary of about $8.5 million, which Golden State was powerless to match.

This loophole was addressed in the current CBA (although not closed completely -- see below). Teams are now limited in the salary they can offer in an offer sheet to a restricted free agent with one or two years in the league. The first-year salary in the offer sheet cannot be greater than the average salary (see question number 24). Limiting the first year salary in this way guarantees that the player's original team will be able to match the offer sheet by using the Early Bird exception (if applicable -- see question number 19), or Mid-Level exception (provided they haven't used it already).

The second year salary in such an offer sheet is limited to the standard 8% raise. The third year salary can jump considerably -- it is allowed to be as high as it would have been had the first year salary not been limited by this rule to the average salary. Raises (and decreases) after the third season are limited to 6.9% of the salary in the third season. The offer sheet can only contain the large jump in the third season if it provides the maximum salary allowed in the first two seasons. In addition, the offer must be guaranteed and cannot contain bonuses of any kind.

If the raise in the third season exceeds the standard raise (8% of the salary in the first season of the contract), then they place an additional restriction on the team. In order to determine the size of the offer the team can make, they don't fit just the first year salary under the cap. Instead, they must fit the average salary in the entire contract under the cap. So a team $8 million under the cap is limited to offering a total of $24 million over three years, $32 million over four years, or $40 million over five years. If the offer sheet does not contain a third-season raise larger than 8% of the first-season salary, then they only have to fit the first year salary under the cap.

Putting this all together, if a team is $11 million under the cap, wants to submit a five year offer sheet, and wants to provide a large raise in the third season, they can offer a total of $55 million. If the average salary is $5 million, then the second year salary will be $5.4 million (8% raise). This leaves $44.6 million to be distributed over the final three seasons. With 6.9% raises in years four and five, the entire contract looks like this
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:48 pm
Or you can take the easy way out and blame him. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:51 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Or you can take the easy way out and blame him. :wink:

okay, but I hope you wouldn't do the same thing to Baron :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:06 pm
sleandres wrote:

But we didnt take Baron in the second round of the draft, and Baron didnt leave us for money... yet. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:16 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
sleandres wrote:

But we didnt take Baron in the second round of the draft, and Baron didnt leave us for money... yet. :wink:

Don't jinx us now. That talk with Jerry West during the offseason may have changed his mind. :mrgreen:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
sleandres wrote:

Don't jinx us now. That talk with Jerry West during the offseason may have changed his mind. :mrgreen:

I know...I don't want to jinx us. Just as someone who works in Business and is going back to school for Sports Management, I know that sports is a business. I hope Baron stays, wish Gilbert would have stayed...but I am really glad they changed that rule, so we don't get screwed out of Monta.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:27 am
i love Kobe Bryant... There are times when he takes too many shots but he is a awesome athlete and unstoppable.

As for Big dominating man... can't go passed Dwight Howard
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:37 am
sleandres wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
sleandres wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

So you would have taken the money?

Exactly. Anybody, in his situation, would have done the same thing. Anybody. If you want to hate somebody, hate St. Jean for not adding a team option for a third year in his contract, like lots of teams did with their second rounders back in the day.

As for my favorite non-warrior player... I might be his only big fan outside of the Spurs fanbase, but Tim Duncan.

btw, the general NBA forum idea is a good one. I just wonder what would happen to the rest of the forums. I mean, most of what we talk in the trades forum and sports forum involves other teams... and I wonder if those sections wouldn't be too empty after that move. But I'm not against it. We might try it for a while and see what happens.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:28 am
I've been a Dwight Howard fan since the day he was drafted. When he was averaging 12 and 10, and tons of people on this board were claiming Emeka Okafor should have gone 1st, I was on the Howard wagon.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:20 pm
I would say that the Trades Section is good. We dont need spammed up trades filling up an NBA Section. Anything regarding the Warriors can stay in the Warriors' section. Anything about trades can stay there. I am tired of reading about Dwight Howard's monster game in the Warriors place.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:27 am
I've decided to go all the way and make a full roster of guys I like outside the Warriors (yeah, I was bored):

PG.- Chris Paul / Calderon
SG.- Rip Hamilton / Brandon Roy / Luther Head
SF.- Caron Butler / Andre Iguodala
PF.- Rasheed Wallace / Chris Bosh / Kenyon Martin
C.- Tim Duncan / Tyson Chandler
Previous

Return to Sports Board