Nelson on the deadline & Rookies.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:59 am
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, February 21, 2008

By noon today, Warriors coach Don Nelson will know exactly which players he'll have for his postseason push. And if Golden State is unable to upgrade its roster before the trade deadline, so be it.

"I wouldn't be unhappy," Nelson said before Wednesday's game against Boston. "I think I'm content enough to move ahead with what we have."

That doesn't mean the Warriors have been idle in trade talks, however.

Golden State is still looking to move disgruntled forward Mickael Pietrus, but its parameters remain the same: The Warriors want a rotational player in return, and specifically one without a long-term contract as the team plans to re-sign Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins this summer.

The Warriors would consider taking on a hefty contract only if it involves adding a top-tier player such as Elton Brand or Jermaine O'Neal, but those scenarios do not appear likely.

If the Warriors do make a move, Nelson does not expect any of his rookies to be in play.

"We like what we did last year in the draft, and the fact that they're not ready to help us this year doesn't mean they're not going to be a big part of our future. They are. We like them very much," Nelson said.

"We're trying to have our cake and eat it, too. We're trying to get in and have those guys get a year under their belt and be contributors next year."

As for Pietrus, who started Wednesday in place of injured Stephen Jackson, Nelson said it wouldn't be a problem if Pietrus remains with the Warriors for the rest of the season.

"That's not easy to coach a guy (who's) not happy and wants to be moved, but I've certainly done it before and I can do it again if nothing works out," he said.

Said Pietrus: "What can I say? I don't have any control of anything. I don't have control of playing time, anything. The only thing I have is when they call my name, be the best for the team."

- Janny Hu
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:16 pm
Well with the deadline passing with no deal & Beans out for a while, young players like POB & Wright should see more of a oppourtunity to prove thier worth :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:34 pm
O.G. Broe wrote:Well with the deadline passing with no deal & Beans out for a while, young players like POB & Wright should see more of a oppourtunity to prove thier worth :!:

Beans is out for a while :scratch:
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:37 pm
:oops: oops, just read the apendecitis thing
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:07 am
O.G. Broe wrote:Well with the deadline passing with no deal & Beans out for a while, young players like POB & Wright should see more of a oppourtunity to prove thier worth :!:

$20 says Nelson gives Wright 5 minutes all throughout Biedrins' injury. And O'Bryant will never suit up. Just a hunch.

I've a feeling we'll see Croshere, Harrington, Webber, and even Jackson at center before we see O'Bryant or Wright get an opportunity.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:42 pm
Looks like you own my the $20 buddy since nobody else collected on it!!!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:56 pm
You kinda gotta call it before the game. But nice try.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:58 pm
32 wrote:You kinda gotta call it before the game. But nice try.

cant blame a brother for trying
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot

Return to News Articles