Houston Rockets Aquire Rafer Alston

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:21 pm
Well, don't forget; his career season was last year with the Raptors! I dunno if I'd call a guy who gets 14 points, 6.5 assists, and 3.5 rebounds a "cancer" to a losing team.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:51 pm
I wasn't talking about stats, but more about the way he played for the team. The stats weren't bad, but his play was selfish all season long (or at least that's what I've heard from some Raptors fans).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:55 pm
The games that I saw Rafer Alston play can be best described as Latrel Spewell in the mid 90's for Golden State...

It seemed like Alston started off the season distributing the ball, but found out that (aside from Bosh and Rose), there wasn't too much talent left on the team after Carter made his exit. Therefore, he took it upon himself to step up and take more shots. Spree was probably a little more trigger happy than Skip was... I'm just saying, the reason Alston's described as "selfish" is because he's one of the best players on the team, so he takes it upon himself to score. 9 out of 10 times, a point guard puting the ball in his own hands as a scoring role is criticized as being selfish. Not all the time, but mostly.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:33 am
Mike James was a safe and stable player, good for a championship caliber team. I hope the Rockets didn't make a mistake with the PG move

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:32 am
Dude, Alston's not gonna make waves. You guys are all acting like they traded for J.R. Rider. Rafer Alston isn't a troubled child. Stop actling like he's the 2nd coming of Ron Artest.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:18 am
Well, he isn't a role model. He almost engaged into a fight with Sam Mitchell last season.

If he was so good, why were the Raptors so eager to trade him?, and why is the only move nobody questioned in Toronto?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:31 am
Because they're getting, basically, an equal player back for him... Mike James isn't a piss-on or anything; he averaged over 10 points last season. I'm just saying, for the Rockets offense, Alston is a better distributor. He got 7 assists a game playing on a team with, basically, only Chris Bosh. That'll increase with T-Mac and Yao.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:30 am
TMC wrote:Well, he isn't a role model. He almost engaged into a fight with Sam Mitchell last season.

If he was so good, why were the Raptors so eager to trade him?, and why is the only move nobody questioned in Toronto?

That is absolutely right and the reason why I hope the Rockets haven't made a mistake with this trade. Mike James seemed to have a good attitude and you need that to be with Yao, McGrady and especially Jeff Van Gundy!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:46 am
Ok, people, there's more than simply a player's attitude when it comes to a trade. Alston is a better playmaker, James is a scorer. They made the trade to try and spark the team into a running, Suns-Warriors offense (that's Alston's game). It would work perfectly with Stromile and T-Mac. It's a great trade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:58 am
Attitude is everything!!!! It doesn't matter how good of a player you are, if you start trouble with other players or the coach of your team, you become a major negative!

Example = Isiah Rider!!!!! He was great but had a stinking attitude and noone wanted him!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:24 am
I'm with migya in this one, all the talent in the world won't help if you don't have the right mindset. I'm not saying it's a bad trade, but it's risky. It may be great, but also has a chance to backfire.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:43 am
Well, the Baron trade was risky, too... This isn't more risky than that...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:57 pm
The Warriors were a team in need of a superstar like player to become a legit playoff team. The Rockets are furthe than that and need stable, effective players to really have a chance of being championship team. This is a risky trade and I'm surprised they made it. They would have been better off getting Earl Watson

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:09 pm
Nevertheless, Alston and Davis are the same level of a risk (as far as attitude). Davis gave up on his old team. Are we worried? Not so much, really... I think Houston feels the same about Alston. Everybody deserves a second chance (Alston didn't even cause that much trouble to begin with... you guys are blowing it out of proportion).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:05 am
Player32 wrote:Nevertheless, Alston and Davis are the same level of a risk (as far as attitude)

Not even close, I'd be willing to take some risks for a difference maker like Baron, not for Alston.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board