The point guard position in the west

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:47 am
Is effin' ridiculous. Rank in order who you think the best point guards in the west are? Note, Iverson and Roy are low because they're not pure point guards.

1. Chris Paul - Probably the MVP of the West thus far
2. Steve Nash - What is there left to say about him?
3. Jason Kidd - Mostly here based on his reputation, though I think he could slip to #8 based on his play in Dallas
4. Deron Williams - Leading a team that has played the best ball in the league for the last couple months.
4a. Baron Davis - Only below Deron because the Warriors are 9-0 when he gets 10+ assists (since Jackson came back) and only 7-7 when he leads us in scoring. Unfortunately he does the latter much more than the former.
6. Allen Iverson - One of the 5 greatest scorers of all time, but hasn't proven that he can help a team win, and is far too inefficient.
7. Tony Parker - His stats don't look flashy because he plays for the Spurs, but you can't knock the only champion on this list.
8. Brandon Roy - Very talented young player, but seems to have been rewarded for playing 18 games like an allstar, rather than a whole season. Also isn't really a point guard.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:59 am
1.- Chris Paul
2.- Steve Nash
3.- Baron Davis
4.- Deron Williams
5.- Jason Kidd
6.- Tony Parker
7.- Jordan Farmar (I know he's not even starting, but I love the way he plays).
8.- Sam Cassell

The rest are not very good... But hey, that's a pretty impressive bunch. There's nobody in the east close to the top 4 of the west.

And no, I'm not counting Roy and Iverson, as they're playing more SG than PG.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:21 pm
Good topic, Pest. Here's how I'd rank them:

1. Jason Kidd, Mavericks - Watch what he does with Dallas. Not only will they challenge the healthy Lakers for the best record in the league, but they'll likely get to the conference finals now. Dallas gave up, practically, nothing to get Kidd. Devin Harris is a good scorer, but they have a ton of guys that can put the ball in the hoop. Before, Kidd had Carter and Jefferson. Now, he has Nowitski, Josh Howard, Jason Terry, and Jerry Stackhouse. His weapons have doubled. I think his value will be seen very soon. Kidd amplifies any team.

2. Chris Paul, Hornets - Honestly, I think his roster is extremely underrated. Tyson Chandler is one of the most physically imposing rebounders in the league, David West is the league's best kept secret (he's, basically, a 20 and 10 guy), Peja Stojakovic is one of the greatest shooters to EVER play the game, Morris Peterson is a shooting stud that can swing, and Bobby Jackson might be the best backup point guard in the league the past 10 years running. Sure, you take Paul away from the Hornets and they plummet... but lets not fool ourselves into thinking he's doing this by himself. Both his forwards are all-star caliber.

3. Steve Nash, Suns - I'm biting my tongue on this pick. I really wanted to put Baron Davis here, because I think the addition of Shaquille O'Neal will screw with Nash's mojo. Steve Nash is a transition point guard and always has been. His play in the all-star game, not to mention back when he played for Dallas, show that Nash is not nearly as effective in a halfcourt set as he is on the break. I have a feeling that Shaq's addition will help the Suns in the playoffs, but hurt their regular season record (not to mention, Nash's numbers).

4. Baron Davis, Warriors - This one's a no-brainer, to me. Baron is Deron William's superior in points, rebounds, steals, blocks, and minutes, while only trailing in assists by 1.6 a night. 4th seems awfully low for Davis, who is the best post scorer, best defender, most explosive, and most clutch player in the Top 5... but you simply get the feeling that he should be dropping 10 assists a game, too. One point I don't think anyone can deny: if we were to rank everyone on this entire list strictly on nights where they bring their A-game, nobody is better than Baron Davis. When he's on his game, he's the best combination of scoring, passing, defense, and intangibles this league has at point guard.

5. Deron Williams, Jazz - I'll never take anything away from Williams' game. He's a tremendous court general that puts his team first, has a huge body (the likes of BD and JKidd), and can be a scary-hot, streaky scorer. But, that being said, Utah, clearly, has a better roster of players than Golden State and they have comparable records at this junction of the season. Williams would be among the Top 3 point guards in the Eastern Conference, but the West is so stacked he barely cracks the Top 5.

6. Allen Iverson, Nuggets - Numbers. You can't score 26 points and dish out 7 dimes a night without being among the league's better guards. I still don't regard Iverson as a point guard (and neither do the Nuggets), but he can set up his teammates off his double coverage and finds a way to score every night. Turnovers are his nemesis, but his pluses definitely outrank the negatives he brings to the table. Iverson can't be in the Top 5, though, because he's not the leader of his team; Carmelo is.

7. Brandon Roy, Trailblazers - As Pest stated, he's not a point guard (in fact, I'd say his game resembles a playmaking SF more than it does a point), but that doesn't mean he's not putting up LeBron-esque numbers this year. His 5 games in February thus far, he's dropping 23 points, 8 assists, and 6.5 rebounds a night.

8. Tony Parker, Spurs - No love for Tony. 19 and 6, standing next to one of the league's all-time 20 greatest players, is no longer impressive in the West. Combine that with the fact that Parker is on one of the most stacked rosters in the game and is now gonna be sharing PG duties with Damon Stoudamire, I can't see him being more valuable to the Spurs than anybody else on this list is to their team.

9. Randy Foye, Timberwolves - A youngster who deseves to be on this list. Foye is a combo guard, more than a point, but he's one of the league's better overall prospects at guard. He hasn't gotten a lotta ink this year, due to his injury, but it'd be a bad move to sleep on him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:41 pm
1. Jason Kidd
2. Steve Nash
3a. Chris Paul
3b. Baron Davis (just didn't want to say CP3 was better than Boom)
4. Deron Williams
5. Tony Parker

I don't really consider AI and Brandon Roy to be PGs, so I left them off the list

Return to Sports Board