Trade Dunleavy?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:41 am
Dude, migya, either way, freeing ourselves of an unproven player like Jamison made room for Jason Richardson to develop as a star, it furthered the role of Troy Murphy in the lineup, and its giving Mike Dunleavy more time in the starting spot to become the player that he's been in the preseason so far.

Free agency would have been in play if we didn't pick up Baron. The talent would have come back. Bottom line is that Mullin was preparing to rebuild the team around Richardson and Murphy, not Antawn Jamison (the current center of the Warriors squad). He made the right choice.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:24 am
My point is that you should never give talent for less! What has happened could still have happened but with another talented player involved, had Jamison been traded for someone as good as he was

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:03 am
Yes... Mullin could have traded Jamison for a better player immediately, but I think he was looking to explore other options. But trading Jamison for a huge, long term contract wasn't the goal. Mully wanted to get the contract itself off our backs so we could more freely negociate with free agents. All in all, he made the right choice. Free agents might go for less money, but other trades are already set in contract (like Baron). I like the free agent idea.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:20 pm
Me too, with so many teams over the cap, there are only a handful each year with money to lure the big names, the only issue is that they're prolly overpaying for some players (I'm looking at you, K-Mart).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:27 pm
Ooooh, Kenyon Martin was a bad guy to throw all the nickels and dimes at. True, he was a great player in Jersey, but you need to take into account how good Jason Kidd makes players look. I wouldn't throw every dollar I had at Richard Jefferson in the off-season just because he might not play as well without Kidd... same going for Joe Johnson (which the Hawks did). Steve Nash and Baron Davis also have the gift. Players around them increase their value. K-Mart was just a bad sign by the Nuggets. Decent player, but not worth all that cash.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:55 pm
Yeah, that's what I was saying about overpaying. Sometimes, the losing franchises don't have any other option than clearly overpay and hope the player they get lives up to their shiny max contract, which usually doesn't happen.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:58 pm
The Nuggets weren't a losing franchise after Carmelo's arrival, though... Kenyon Martin is just an example of a moronic franchise falling for a glamorous player's charms. As a big, athletic guy, his role next to JKidd was simple: Kenyon comes out, he catches, he oops, he swats, and 48 minutes later, somehow the guy would have big numbers. When he got to Denver, Andre Miller wasn't quite the playmaker that Kidd was, so Martin was expected to score more than simply on putbacks, ally-oops, and wide open passes from a D-hypnotizing point guard. He didn't respond well to the pressure.
Last edited by 32 on Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:23 pm
Yeah, I wasn't talking about the Nuggets specifically with the overpaying thing (there's no doubt they did it, tho), it was more a general thought about how to get talent to those teams.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:45 pm
Oh, no doubt... some even rip on US because half of the fans say we overpaid Derek Fisher... and about 99.999987 of the fans say we overpaid for Adonal Foyle. Every team has one, really.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:19 am
As long as a team is seuccessful, the fact that a player that is being highly paid is not producing as well as they should gets over looked somewhat. If KMart had gone to a team and they didn't win like the Nuggets did last season, he would be scrutinized alot!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 am
He already is, though! Every sports caster in the world has been knocking on him for taking huge money and then only putting up 15 points and 7 boards! Those are average PF numbers! Sure, he blocks a shot a game, but other than that, he's nothing special! Denver bit really bad on that one. He can't play well independently.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:54 pm
Denver Picked him up for his passioate play. I think he is overpaid but cant knock his passion. They are bummed now because of his injury. I dont know how productive he will be this season.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:56 pm
Oh, he's damn passionate. Athletic as hell, gifted as anyone else, and has the power of anybody else his size... but when it comes to the fundamental skills, he doesn't look great.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:16 am
Player32 wrote:Oh, he's damn passionate. Athletic as hell, gifted as anyone else, and has the power of anybody else his size... but when it comes to the fundamental skills, he doesn't look great.

Right. I think he'll do better this season, as he was hampered by several injuries last season.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:24 am
Yeah he gets overpaid, BUT how many guys in the nba get overpaid!!!!!! Just to name a few - Anfernee Hardaway and the rest of the Knicks, Van Horn, Boozer and our own Fisher and Foyle! Martin is not bad and his energy is better than what most bring to the table. Yeah, I don't like the guy that much but I think he is pretty good for the role he plays on his team.

PreviousNext

Return to Trades