Good bye, Pedro Feliz!

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:45 pm
That's right Giants fans, Pedro Feliz won't be hacking in San Francisco this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3219098

In fact, we won't have him for at least two more years, unless Sabean misses him so much he trades a few prospects for him. Like Cain and Lincecum. LOL
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:14 pm
As much as he was the whipping boy, it wasnt deserving. I hope that he does well, but he leaves a huge hole on the left side of the infield with him gone. I just hope that that job goes to Frandsen. He deserves it. No more old fogies. :|
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:28 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:As much as he was the whipping boy, it wasnt deserving. I hope that he does well, but he leaves a huge hole on the left side of the infield with him gone. I just hope that that job goes to Frandsen. He deserves it. No more old fogies. :|

Ah, SFx3, I didn't know you were a Feliz fan. I am not. I don't blame everything on him but I do think he's a hack that wouldn't start on most upper tier MLB teams. I wouldn't call myself a money ball player, but any guy who hits .250 with an OBP below .300 is not a guy I want getting 500-600 ABs a year.

But yeah, you said it man, let's see what the youngsters can do. The more guys like Feliz we let go the more ABs we'll get from our youngsters.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:59 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:As much as he was the whipping boy, it wasnt deserving. I hope that he does well, but he leaves a huge hole on the left side of the infield with him gone. I just hope that that job goes to Frandsen. He deserves it. No more old fogies. :|

Ah, SFx3, I didn't know you were a Feliz fan.

I'm not a Feliz fan, but I just think that people got a little hard on him the last year or so. He wasnt a bopper. He just isnt. However, because he was as good of a hitter as we have, like it or not, we expected more. I felt bad for the guy because he didnt recieve the proper training coming up through the minors. They didnt teach him fundamentals. He is very consistant, in a bad way. Every year, .240 with 20 HR's and 80 RBI's.

He was a great glove who could have easily been there for a Gold Glove, and he has a great arm, one of the best. People look too much at the holes in his game rather than his strengths.

Anyways, yeah, I have a bad feeling Richie is going to get the nod this year as the starting third baseman. Bochy likes his vets. :wink:

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:31 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:

Ah, SFx3, I didn't know you were a Feliz fan.

I'm not a Feliz fan, but I just think that people got a little hard on him the last year or so. He wasnt a bopper. He just isnt. However, because he was as good of a hitter as we have, like it or not, we expected more. I felt bad for the guy because he didnt recieve the proper training coming up through the minors. They didnt teach him fundamentals. He is very consistant, in a bad way. Every year, .240 with 20 HR's and 80 RBI's.

He was a great glove who could have easily been there for a Gold Glove, and he has a great arm, one of the best. People look too much at the holes in his game rather than his strengths.

Anyways, yeah, I have a bad feeling Richie is going to get the nod this year as the starting third baseman. Bochy likes his vets. :wink:

Yeah, but Richie (one of my favorites in the 1990s) will likely play himself out of a job pretty damn quickly. Guys who can't hit a lick won't be protected by stars, so it's my guess that guys who aren't pulling their weight will hit the pine. Our offense is going to be very, very bad this year, and I doubt that Bochy will go with the same horrid lineup all year long if we're horrible.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:36 pm
I think Bochy is blind to numbers and productivity when it comes to choosing players. Hense Klesko, Richie, and Roberts. Wanna bet Richie is the guy until his groin goes out again? :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:03 pm
sfsfsf, you most probably are right...but I still hope this means Frandsen, not Aurilia
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:06 am
Giants get Rowand, Phillies get Feliz...

Is it just me or did both these teams aquire a hacker with decent pop that can field well for his position? My initial thought, upon aquiring Rowand, was "Damn, its like having a CF version of Pedro"...

Both teams are way too excited about aquiring 3rd option players. Neither of these guys can carry a franchise.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:27 pm
C'mon now 32, you can't compare Rowand to Feliz. Rowand hit .309 with a .374 OBP last season with 27 HR and 45 doubles. Feliz hit .253 with a .290 OBP with 20 HR and 28 doubles.

Feliz has never sniffed the year Rowand had last year in terms of OBP. He's got similar pop on his bat, but he's no where near the hitter.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:35 pm
It should be noted that Rowand only had ONE year at that level (during his contract season *ahem*). He's a career .280 hitter and has only hit 20 HRs twice (compared to Pedro Feliz, whose done it 4 years in a row). It should also be noted that Rowand belted out 27 homers in a hitter's park, which is far from what PacBell is.

... yes, I will forever refer to the park as "PacBell Park". Not AT&T. Just like Candlestick was always the 'Shtick, not "Monster Park". :roll:

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:00 pm
Yeah, but we signed him for last year's numbers. If he doesn't come close to them this year it's just another reason Sabean should be fired. But I still don't think you can compare Feliz to him. Feliz is a hack who gets hot every now and then and cranks out a few, but he's a pretty lousy hitter.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:05 pm
Signing a player off a single season's production is not wise (and never has been). I believe Joe Johnson is the only successful case of this I know of. Even Gilbert Arenas had 2 good years as a Warriors before the Wizards threw big money at him. Rowand, prior to last year, was a sub-.280 hitter that only hit 20 HRs once. I wouldn't be shocked if he hit 11 HRs next year. Not to be cynical or anything, it just wouldn't shock me. He had 2 good seasons in a hitter's park. He's coming to play half his games in a pitcher's park now. I think he'll struggle behind the plate.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:38 pm
32 wrote:Signing a player off a single season's production is not wise (and never has been). I believe Joe Johnson is the only successful case of this I know of. Even Gilbert Arenas had 2 good years as a Warriors before the Wizards threw big money at him. Rowand, prior to last year, was a sub-.280 hitter that only hit 20 HRs once. I wouldn't be shocked if he hit 11 HRs next year. Not to be cynical or anything, it just wouldn't shock me. He had 2 good seasons in a hitter's park. He's coming to play half his games in a pitcher's park now. I think he'll struggle behind the plate.

Like I said, if you're right, it's just another nail in Sabean's coffin. Rowand is being paid like an upper tier player. Feliz is not. Comparing the two is horrible for us Giants fans, and if you're right, this season is going to be worse than I thought.

Rowand needs to hit .290 with a .350+ OBP with 20 HR and 40 doubles to warrant his contract. These are numbers that Feliz is not capable of. If Rowand plays like Feliz this year it's not going to be good.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:40 pm
I can see Rowand hitting .290, with 14 HRs and 80-something RBI's. Not terrible, but definitely not worth the money we gave him.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:49 pm
32 wrote:I can see Rowand hitting .290, with 14 HRs and 80-something RBI's. Not terrible, but definitely not worth the money we gave him.

i see the same..but maybe a little more HRs

but i see Pfeliz going

.275 35 HRs 102 RBIs in the hitter
friendly Citizens Bank Park

-
Next

Return to Sports Board