Stephen Jackson Pulls The Race Card

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:55 pm
INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson, contending that a league ban on chains worn over clothing is "a racist statement" from the league, wore every long, diamond-studded chain in his collection Tuesday night as a protest.

Jackson voiced no opposition to the bulk of the "business casual" demands in the NBA's new dress code, but he described the jewelry ban as "attacking young black males."

"I think it's a racist statement because a lot of the guys who are wearing chains are my age and are black," said Jackson, 27. "I wore all my jewelry today to let it be known that I'm upset with it.

"I'll wear a suit every day. I think we do need to look more professional because it is a business. A lot of guys have gotten sloppy with the way they dress. But it's one thing to [enforce a] dress code and it's another thing if you're attacking cultures, and that's what I think they're doing."

Jackson made his comments before Tuesday's home exhibition game against San Antonio, with the four chains he wore to work hanging in his locker -- one sporting his initials, two with a crucifix and a fourth depicting Jesus Christ.

A section in the new dress code listing items players are not allowed to wear on team or league business includes "chains, pendants or medallions worn over the player's clothing."

"I know a lot of guys on my team are upset and I have no problem speaking up on it," Jackson said.

Jackson, though, said he wouldn't openly defy the rule if it means he keeps "giving money back" in fines.

San Antonio's Tim Duncan, far less vocal but also a critic of the new policy, did not play in Tuesday's game and sat on the bench wearing an untucked shirt and baggy jeans -- attire that could result in a fine if seen during a regular-season game.

A specific range of penalties has yet to be announced, but league officials have already made it clear that violators of the dress code will be fined -- as well as their teams -- with repeat violators subject to suspension.

Is it just me or do NBA players pull the race card on every new rule instated by the NBA? When players aren't happy about a rule and they have nothing logical to say about it, they fall back on racism!

The NBA institutes an age limit focusing on players getting at least 2 years of education before entering the league. The rule is meant to help players get something to fall back on if they don't make it in the NBA. Players are outraged and call the rule racist! Why? Most of them commented that African-American people are less likely to go to college, anyway, so why hold them back from making good money? Less likely to go to college? Even if that is the case statistically, can ANYONE deny that LeBron would have gotten a full ride into any college of his choosing? High school players who have the ability to be drafted into the NBA wont have any problems getting into and/or paying for college! Anyone deny that would be the case? Hell no! Pulling the race card is a totally illogical way to throw a fit and try to scare the NBA heads (mostly Caucasians) into changing their minds!

Now, the NBA institutes a dress code to put a more positive image of the league on TV and in cities. How do the players resond? By, yet again, bitching about racism! Saying that black people are more likely to wear chains, medallions, or clothing other than proper business casual attire! And, on top of it, players like Marcus Camby even have the gaul to ask for money to pay for these clothes with?! When you get a huge, high-paying job on Wall Street working on the 100th floor of some billion dollar building, do you bitch about how you're gonna buy your clothes? Do you complain that the dress requirement is racist because you used to wear rags and chains in your high school days (and still do outside of work)? Or do you just shut the hell up, do your job, and not point your finger and whine about every little thing "the man" tries to do to "hold back your culture"... over things like a DRESS CODE! Does anybody else see the complete lack of logic or reason here? If Wall Street bankers and millionaire lawyers (both of whom have a huge population of African-Americans) don't mind wearing suits to work, then neither should NBA players! Saying that these rules are racist is pulling a sore subject into an otherwise small deal.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:24 pm
Enough of the race crap

Bottom line is no one in business can afford to be racist, people in suits "no pun intended” don’t want "bad PR/less profit" because they want Old Glory days of racism. U don’t see many normal black families "allow/ want" their kids wearing jewelry, only pimps (black or white) wear jewelry and the NBA doesn’t want to reflect that image. Plus NBA only wants their employees to wear normal business attire. Is that so weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else throws the race card at me for saying this, sadly that is the society we have evolved into. And weirdly enough its middle aged white Americans that cry racism most of the time, probably feeling guilty over what their parent’s attitude was against minorities.

PS I know about rappers wearing jewelry but I am trying to be dramatic here.

This is not racist, and SJ is totally off base.

There is no more large-scale racism conspiracies* going on, there are individual racists in America but that is it.

*Denny's doesn’t count.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:35 pm
[stephen jackson]You!, how you dare to use the race card saying we're using the race card?!!!. We're not using the race card, you're the one forcing us to use the race card so it's you who uses the race card, we only use the race card as a response to your use of the race card, so we're not really using the race card, just you, racist scumbag!!!!!!!!!![/stephen jackson]

j/k

Yeah, I agree. It's getting old & annoying. Seems like it's the only way some of them know to justify the unjustifiable (is this even a word?, well, whatever, now it is).

Race it's not an issue anymore, at least not on a large scale, but some people try to take advantage of it to justify their actions.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:51 pm
Well, lets not go that far... racism isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still an issue we face everyday (and we will as long as we use stereotypes or affirmative action or any other means of classifying people as colors). But to say it's not an issue is wrong. I just don't see how wearing proper business attire or needing to be a certain age in a professional sports league can be racist... last I checked, the only player on the Warriors under 20 is Andris Biedrins (a white guy).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:02 am
Player32 wrote:Well, lets not go that far... racism isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still an issue we face everyday (and we will as long as we use stereotypes or affirmative action or any other means of classifying people as colors). But to say it's not an issue is wrong. I just don't see how wearing proper business attire or needing to be a certain age in a professional sports league can be racist... last I checked, the only player on the Warriors under 20 is Andris Biedrins (a white guy).

Yeah, right, when I said it was not an issue anymore I was talking in league terms. It's not an issue in the NBA, but still is in some sectors of society. And it's going to be hard to change it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:18 am
Yeah, I agree... but, as far as the league goes, how can African-Americans be angry about a new rule like that? I mean, sure, if we instated a rule that said, "Okay, the rim's gonna be lowered to 8-feet and only 5'2" white males can play!"... okay, I'd see THAT as racist, but this is nothing! I'm just getting tired of players blaming every rule they disagree with on the color of their skin. Get off the whole conspiracy theory already. It's not real.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:20 am
Yeah, but what else can they say?, "I don't like suits, they're too classy for me, where are my rags?".

It's their excuse to oppose the code. Doesn't mean it's right.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:24 am
That's what I'm saying! They can't deny that they have a problem with this rule for the wrong reasons! I still don't like getting dressed up, but when I go to church or a wedding or another formal function, you have to! The NBA wants their players to treat before the game as a formal activity. What's so wrong with that? You get to look sharp 82 days out of the year!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:22 pm
Player32 wrote:That's what I'm saying! They can't deny that they have a problem with this rule for the wrong reasons! I still don't like getting dressed up, but when I go to church or a wedding or another formal function, you have to! The NBA wants their players to treat before the game as a formal activity. What's so wrong with that? You get to look sharp 82 days out of the year!

I think it's more of a cultural issue. They just don't want to feel forced to do it. So they use the race card in that way, like "hey, we are still the ones who have to obey" and that crap.

It's not the rule itself, it's the enforcement of it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:45 pm
Well, that's just insecurity, then. No one's violating their rights in any way. They can express themselves all they want in their freetime, just like anybody else... but at work, they need to wear work attire (just like everybody else).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:43 am
Of course it's insecurity, they'd be bitching equally if they were forced to wear "hip hop casual attire".
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:18 am
Good point

Return to News Articles