McGrady wants to give up All-Star spot,but rules won't allow

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:01 am
McGrady wants to give up All-Star spot, but rules won't allow it
Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 12:49 pm EST

The Houston Rockets' Tracy McGrady, second among Western Conference guards in All-Star voting, said Thursday he would like to give his spot to a more deserving player. That, however, is not an option the NBA allows.

"Any time you are chosen to become an All-Star, especially having had the season I've had, there's other guys definitely having better seasons than me," McGrady said. "If it was my choice, I would select another guy to participate in my spot because I see other guards that are having outstanding seasons."

Players who are able to play prior to the All-Star Game, which takes place Feb. 17 in New Orleans, are required to play in the game.

Source: Houston Chronicle

Great gesture by McGrady but I don't understand why he can't give up his starting spot but Vince Carter gave up his (reluctantly ofcourse) to Jordan when Jordan was with the Wizards

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:02 am
So what?. Fake a minor injury and Stern will pick a replacement. I know it's not allowed, but he's got a medical history that can justify anything.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:05 am
miggy brings up a good point. Stern had no problem letting Vince Carter stand down so Michael Jordan could start in the all-star game. Why can't McGrady do the same?

David Stern is a whore and doesn't want to do anything to upset the 2 billion Asian people that vote on a regular basis.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:09 am
32 wrote:David Stern is a whore and doesn't want to do anything to upset the 2 billion Asian people that vote on a regular basis.

There it is right there :wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:05 am
The reason it was allowed for Jordan to go in ahead of Carter..............come on!!!?? its Micheal Jordan!!! The poster child for and saviour of David Sterns era.............his golden pay check.

And I suppose McGrady is part of his new golden pay check with the majority of Asian voters (abroad) being Houston fans for Yao.

This does suck and if a player wants to make an excellent gesture like that, then he should be allowed to............as TMC said, if he really doesnt want to play then he will just feign an injury, be put on the inative list on Feb 15th and someone else gets a chance.

God damn Stern is a bastard.............
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:11 am
I'm sure he wants to play. Graciously giving up your starting spot is one thing, but feigning an injury and missing the All-Star Game all together is quite different.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Return to News Articles