NBADraft.com 2005-2006 Preview - Golden State Warriors

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:26 pm
http://nbadraft.net/2005-06warriors001.asp

Every season, at least one team gains preseason buzz as a bona fide sleeper. In order to qualify, three ingredients must be present: 1) The team must have a history of ineptitude, 2) they have to have quality young talents coupled with a veteran star hungry for postseason play, and 3) they must finish the season before on a bit of a hot streak.

This year's candidate: The Golden State Warriors.

Frankly, it's about time. This franchise has seen some lean years since their Run-TMC heyday. Very few teams have had a rougher decade than the Warriors. After the embarrassing Sprewell-Carlesimo incident, the botched Chris Webber deal, Todd Fuller - Lottery Pick, and countless other misstepsm this team is long overdue for some good fortune.

The key to this potential turnaround is Baron Davis. Last season, the Warriors were floundering towards another last-place finish when GM Chris Mullin snagged Davis from the lowly New Orleans Hornets on February 21, 2005. Golden State's record before Baron: 15-38. Golden State's record after Baron: 19-10.

Davis is as unstoppable off the dribble as any other point guard in the league. The issue with him is always his durability. He's suffered a variety of injuries during his six-year NBA career, especially during the past three seasons. If he can remain on the court for 82 games and play at a typical Baron Davis level, a playoff berth is within reach. If not, then it might be the same old Warriors.

Last season's leading scorer, Jason Richardson, will likely continue to amaze NBA fans with his otherworldly athleticism. Thankfully, his game has evolved beyond dunking. He can score seemingly at will, especially with Davis running the show. Few (if any) teams boast a more exciting starting backcourt than Golden State.

Starting at small forward will be the enigmatic Mike Dunleavy. After being selected third overall in the 2002 draft, Dunleavy has been maddeningly inconsistent. At times, he shows more poise and basketball sense than anyone his age should possess. Other times, he looks completely overwhelmed. From night to night, it's impossible to tell which Dunleavy will show up. Since he's in a contract year, look for him to possibly have that breakout season we've all been waiting for.

Troy Murphy will be this team's starting power forward. He's still one of the league's best kept secrets (as well as the reason why I've won two out of my last three fantasy basketball championships). He's a terrific spot-up shooter with range out to the 3-point line (ideal for Baron's drive-and-kick game), as well as a surprisingly ferocious rebounder. He's as indispensable to this team as Davis or Richardson.

Adonal Foyle (due to make $34 million over the next four seasons) will likely start at center. Seriously.

With any luck, last year's first round draft pick Andris Biedrins might be ready to shoulder some of the load at the center spot. Word out of the Warriors' camp is that Biedrins is progressing nicely and they're expecting a major contribution out of him this season. I wish I had something to add here, but I've honestly never seen him play ten consecutive minutes of meaningful basketball.

Arizona State stud Ike Diogu was set to back up Murphy at the 4-spot until he suffered a broken hand in practice. With no specific date set on his return, the bench is looking awfully thin at the post positions. If Diogu's hand heals quickly, he could be a major asset if this team makes a playoff run.

Pitt rookie Chris Taft, who was at one time considered a lottery pick but slid to the second round of the 2005 draft, might see more minutes than anyone anticipated. Taft is a physical specimen, but questions surrounding his drive (not to mentioned being outplayed nearly every game by the less-talented Chevon Troutman) sent his stock plummeting.

Backing up Dunleavy and Richardson at the swingman spots will be Mickael Pietrus, Calbert Cheaney, and Zarko Cabarkapa. Pietrus is an excellent athlete and an above-average defender who will likely see time at both the 2 and the 3. Cheaney is, remarkably, still in the league and can regale his teammates with stories from when he was filming "Blue Chips." Cabarkapa is one of the gangliest guys I've ever seen, but he can make some plays.

Davis's support at the point guard position will be Derek Fisher and Monta Ellis. Fisher signed with Golden State last year for their full mid-level exemption, knowing that he'd be given the opportunity to start. Not only did the Warriors deal for Davis (ensuring another spot on the bench for Fisher), he missed out on postseason play for the first time in his career last season. As it stands now, Fisher is one of the league's top backup point guards and is still a supremely clutch 3-point shooter. Ellis, the high school phenom from Georgia, is a long-term project who might end up becoming a big-time scoring guard.

Will head coach Mike Montgomery be able to capitalize on last season's momentum and help lead this team into the postseason for the first time since 1994? The answer depends entirely on the health of Baron Davis. For the sake of some of the best (and unluckiest) basketball fans in America, I hope the Warriors can capitalize on that sleeper buzz.

I think this article's totally accurate on a lot of things we've been arguing over on the board (Mike Dunleavy, Derek Fisher, Mickael Pietrus, Adonal Foyle, ect). They pick the Warriors as this year's sleeper. Good call, if you ask me.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:05 pm
Yeah, pretty much on point. I just wonder, can a team be a sleeper when everybody is picking them to be the sleeper?. That puts over them the same pressure a playoff team faces...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:43 pm
Very logically pointed out TMC

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:29 pm
Yeah who isn't paying the Warriors respect.

Seems like everyone is on the bandwagon. Well I say

All Aboard
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:59 pm
None of them really seem to think that the Warriors can out do teams like the Suns though. It seems remote but the Suns had a few changes and with Amare out for a while it is hard to see the Suns be much more than a 45 - 50 win team

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:30 pm
I'd definately say the Warrior's aren't going to be a league secret, if that's what you're saying a sleeper is. But an expected success story? Very likely. If they make the playoffs, you'll hear many newscasters saying, "Bob, I knew they got better and Baron predicted the playoffs, but, even though they got better, I honestly didn't think it was possible! At least not this season!"

I think they're getting respect, but many people half expect them to blow it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:26 pm
It is reasonable to think that they won't make it because they haven't for so long

They have to prove that they can make it!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:00 pm
And thats the whole thing right now... can they prove they can make it? Everyone knows they got the talent. It's just the ability.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:59 am
Player32 wrote:I'd definately say the Warrior's aren't going to be a league secret, if that's what you're saying a sleeper is.

Not only that. Now the Warriors face the pressure of having to be the sleeper and make the playoffs, because everybody is picking them to do it.

Player32 wrote:But an expected success story? Very likely. If they make the playoffs, you'll hear many newscasters saying, "Bob, I knew they got better and Baron predicted the playoffs, but, even though they got better, I honestly didn't think it was possible! At least not this season!"

I think they're getting respect, but many people half expect them to blow it.

I don't think it will happen. If they make the playoffs, even if many people believe they will blow it, nobody would say so. Bandwagoners...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:43 am
Best thing is to never care what the media says. I bet that the Spurs never cared much and were always able to focus better!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:30 am
migya wrote:Best thing is to never care what the media says.

Yeah, but that's easier said than done.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:57 am
Better off doing it! The best seem to always do that and you gotta aim to the best!

stuff the media anyway, they usually just want to start trouble

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:53 am
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people jumping on the wagon of an established team... *eye's FurZo in his Peja jersey*... Hahaha, just playing, brother!

Return to News Articles