What's the position that needs the most help?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which position needs the most improvement on the Warrior's starting 5?

Center - Adonal needs some back-up (or, better yet, lets make HIM a back-up to someone better)
81%
Power Forward - Troy and Ike are decent, but we need someone who's gonna make an impact right away
10%
Small Forward - I'm tired of waiting on Mike, Calbert's too old, and Pietrus needs more development time. We need help.
5%
Shooting guard - Jason Richardson needs a more capable back-up for when he sits down. Mickael is good, but lets look for other options.
No votes
Point Guard - ... honestly, I dunno why you'd pick this one. Baron Davis is an all-star and Fisher would start on pretty much any other NBA team without Bibby, Kidd, Nash, or someone of the like. Explain yourself for picking this.
5%

Total votes : 21

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:00 pm
i'll bet mullin is crossing his figers that maybe taft will be a factor by midseason because at 6 11 and athletic he could fight biedrins for pt.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:07 pm
He might just be the answer. Him or Biedrins - They both seem to have multiple skills, more than Foyle at least

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:38 am
migya wrote:He might just be the answer. Him or Biedrins - They both seem to have multiple skills, more than Foyle at least

Yeah, but they lack Foyle's experience and defensive skills. Let'em battle for the backup job. They need some more seasoning before taking over.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:39 am
That will be what will happen and maybe there is good reason for that, as the young guys need to prove themselves and watch from the bench to start a game to figure out what to do once they get in. However, Foyle is a liability offensively and that may hurt the Warriors too much. Either way, the best for the Warriors is what's needed

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:59 am
TMC wrote:Yeah, but they lack Foyle's experience and defensive skills. Let'em battle for the backup job. They need some more seasoning before taking over.

That will be great! Nothing grooms a player for time on the court like competition. If those two find that they're the biggest holdup to the floor for each other, they'll push themselves and challenge themselves to get better, ultimately become 2 or 3 levels higher than they originally were...

... either that or they'll just get into a huge brawl with each other. Either one would be good to read about or see! :thumbright:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:49 pm
HAHAHAHAHA

BUT

I'd rather have the Warriors players have good chemistry and not bang eachother up!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:52 pm
Well, of course... I was only playing.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:38 pm
We don't want our Warriors turning into a mid 90s Knicks team! YUK!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:39 pm
Oh man, anything but that! Comparing us to any Knicks team that doesn't have Willis Reed is always an insult...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:03 pm
Good to have some tough defense though at the right times, just not so brutal

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:04 pm
Defense that DOES NOT include the coach being dragged around the floor by Alonzo Mourning's leg, you mean?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:00 am
No, I mean good strong defense involving great foot and hand movement along with very good blocking and stealing as well as superior team defense involvement

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:22 pm
Wow, I can't believe that migya was defending the Knicks and I was bashing them...

... opinions sure switch sides quick here, huh?

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:47 pm
#32 wrote:I personally think the Warriors are helpless at the 5 spot on offense. People think Adonal's hook improves every season and, I admit, he blocks shots like a pro, but I'm tired of waiting on him to become more than just an NCAA all-time blocked shots leader. We need someone who can play in the NBA.

Baron, J-Rich, Dun, Murphy...do you really think we need scoring? Who CARES if Foyle can't shoot - we want that. That's more shots for the other guys.

Not to sound redundant, we need an inside presence. No one else can impact a game like Foyle - he has superb timing blocking shots..I've never seen a man 6'9"-10" block so many shots....

But to reiterate my point, who cares if we're helpless at the 5 on offense...
Thomas
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:33 pm
Scoring is a strength of ours, sure... and our main weakness could be seen as one of two things: defense and REBOUNDING!!!!

Foyle is a 6'10" player who averaged 5 rebounds last season in a starting role that kept him in the key the entire game. You think that's a legit center to have starting for a team looking to make a run at the playoffs? I seriously doubt it.

Not only that, but Foyle's shot-blocking skill is his ONLY talent. He puts a body on defenders and blocks shots, but he can't shoot free-throws (or jumpers), he can't board, he's not a good passing big man, and his athletic skill is atrocious (he can't run the floor at all or get very high off the ground).

ramg529 wrote:Baron, J-Rich, Dun, Murphy...do you really think we need scoring? Who CARES if Foyle can't shoot

Chris Mullin, apparently, as he went after 2 inside scorers during the draft this year. The Warriors inside game is the weakest part of their offense. Even Phoenix's game last season would have been cut in half by removing Amare's inside game to free up all the outside shooters. An inside game in the NBA isn't a bonus; it's a basic need. Not even having a sniff of one is pathetic. Mullin addressed the problem in this year's lottery by grabbing Ike Diogu.

ramg529 wrote:Not to sound redundant, we need an inside presence. No one else can impact a game like Foyle - he has superb timing blocking shots..I've never seen a man 6'9"-10" block so many shots....

Never seen a 6'10" guy block so many shots, huh? Ever hear of Alonzo Mourning? Bill Russell? Bo Outlaw? Many shot blockers between 6'8" and 6'10" can put up big numbers. It's nothing revolutionary. The fact that it's the ONLY part of Foyle's game that opperates at an NBA level is sad for a starting 5. There's no if, and's, or but's. Center is our weakest position because Adonal Foyle is starting. Period.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball