Can I call upon my Warrior bretheren for help?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:16 am
Hello all,

Little bit of a strange request/subject and I didnt know where to put it but I really need your help.

I am currently doing an online Basketball GM and Scouting course and the assigment I just did was to scout 3 future draft picks...........now the problem is that it is impossible for me to see college games and I have seen about 3 in the last 10 years so lets just say my knowledge and ability to asses these guys fully is a little limited.

With that, I made my choices from Chad Fords "Whos Hot" list, these being DeAndre Jordan and DJ Augustine and did one on Tyler Hansbrough (as draftexpress.com has him as the Warriors No. 20 pick, so I thought I would take a look at him).

I did well, and my report was well received and graded, mostly due to the fact that we have access to a site that has examples of play types from every player in the country (as well as the fact that Im great! lol), you can literally ask for every example of a Pick and Roll with a guy and it gives you the video!! amazing and Im lucky to have access as its what the pro's use and it costs $75,000 per year to use!

However, a guy commented that Jordan and Augustine were on Chad Ford's list and as such Im a little worried that they may think Im just going for the "expert" picks..........which is what I WAS doing but atleast it wasnt Beasley, Mayo, Gordon and the like.

So with all this rambling in mind, I would really appreciate it if you could guys could drop me some names of promising college guys that arnt on the radar/the latest short list, from being able to watch games and hear the grape vine and stuff...........so I can do my next scouting report on them and not look like Im scouting the "in" guys to make myself look good.

So far the other guys have done, Kenny George, Ty Lawson, OJ Mayo, Chase Budinger, Brook Lopez.

Thanks alot in advance and I will really appreciate your help and look forward to your input.

Ps: Ill PM any of you my report if you want to take a look and let me know what you think, again, Id appreciate the feedback for you guys.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:21 am
Do you also want european guys, or just college?.

Because if it's just college, I don't pay much attention til march madness, so I won't be able to help much. I mean, I've seen a bit of the top guys (Beasley, Mayo and the like), but nothing else.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:38 am
TMC wrote:Do you also want european guys, or just college?.

Because if it's just college, I don't pay much attention til march madness, so I won't be able to help much. I mean, I've seen a bit of the top guys (Beasley, Mayo and the like), but nothing else.

Thanks bud but they are looking for college players primarliy............and also, the site I will have to use to see these players and get my impressions from, only has US based players.

I may do some research myself and through in a Euro guy for them.............who would you recommend? I certainly cant use any guys from the league we have overe here!! its crap.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:19 am
bigstrads wrote:I may do some research myself and through in a Euro guy for them.............who would you recommend? I certainly cant use any guys from the league we have overe here!! its crap.

Well, depends on what you're looking for. The best prospect, considering his age (only 17), should be Ricky Rubio (a PG/SG... He's played both positions here, but will probably have to move to PG in the NBA ), but everybody has already heard about him.

He's already starting for his team (DKV Joventut, here in Spain) and is playing 23 mpg, with 12.8 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 3.6 assists (better passer than this numbers shows) and the most impressive part is that he's leading the league in steals, with 2,44 per game.

He's also a pretty good shooter (.820 free throws, .540 from the field, and only .350 from 3pts, although he has improved from last year, when he shot just .280 from that distance). As for his scoring, it would be higher if not because he has Rudy Fernandez (drafted last year by the Blazers) as a teammate, and Rudy is the focus of his team's offense.

But it's not only the stats, it's how he dominates the games in one of the top leagues of europe (for most experts, the best). He has a level of maturity comparable only to guys like Lebron (at his age, I mean).

You shouldn't have much problem finding videos of him in youtube or somewhere else, as he's pretty well known. It's hard to predict at this point, because he won't be drafted til 2009 or 2010, but he's expected to be a top 3 pick, if he keeps developing like he's done so far.

Other good players, albeit with lesser potential and, thus, less known, might be Partizan's center Nikola Pekovic, Le Mans SF Nicolas Batum or Milan's SF Danilo Gallinari. All of those should be drafted in the next few years, and probably all of them in the first round.

Ask me if you need any help.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:13 am
Thats perfect man, Ill look into those guys.

Ive heard of Rubio, think they were talking about him before but no-one has done a report on him..........think hes one of my guys for sure.

Is it alright if I PM you my first report? always good to have your input man.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:18 am
bigstrads wrote:Thats perfect man, Ill look into those guys.

Ive heard of Rubio, think they were talking about him before but no-one has done a report on him..........think hes one of my guys for sure.

Is it alright if I PM you my first report? always good to have your input man.

Sure. I'll help any way I can. Keep in mind that I'm just an amateur, and probably a (slightly) biased one... :wink:

btw, you can find vids of him in this site (it's our league site):

http://acbtv.acb.com/

It's in spanish, but you shouldn't have problems finding them. There's even one of Rubio at the bottom of the page.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:26 am
TMC wrote:Sure. I'll help any way I can. Keep in mind that I'm just an amateur

:mrgreen: .............me too, although trying not to be one now!

PM'ing now.............read as you would a "real" scouting report and be as critical as you want! I can take it! :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm
Done. Not bad, not at all... Check your PMs.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:44 pm
I'll try to scout DJ Augustine and Tyler Hansbrough for you since I do get their games on ESPN and sometimes FSN. I know nothing of DeAndre Jordan, though. I'll try to though because I've been busy, but I'll do my best. Maybe I'll ask my uncle since he's a scout for for some college team.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:57 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:I'll try to scout DJ Augustine and Tyler Hansbrough for you since I do get their games on ESPN and sometimes FSN. I know nothing of DeAndre Jordan, though. I'll try to though because I've been busy, but I'll do my best. Maybe I'll ask my uncle since he's a scout for for some college team.

Lol :mrgreen: ...............thanks alot Xbay..............but Ive DONE my report on Augustine, Hansbrough and Jordan................now I need others! :mrgreen:

Just names/thoughts/observations if you can, Ill do the work. Thanks. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:25 pm
Ohhh. I'll look at DeVon Hardin from Cal.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:34 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Ohhh. I'll look at DeVon Hardin from Cal.

You fricken homer... :wink:

Seriously, though, Hardin is a great player. I remember him in high school. He was a HUGE name player around here.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:42 pm
Talk 'bout college basketball players, i wonder who is that guy with 7'6" tall.
Geeez with that size he still have poor stats....
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:10 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Seriously, though, Hardin is a great player. I remember him in high school. He was a HUGE name player around here.

I like Hardin. I'm glad he decided to come back for his final year at Cal. Still don't think he's a first rounder, though. Maybe late first rounder-early second. Idk, though. I need to scout his game more before I say more.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:18 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

I like Hardin. I'm glad he decided to come back for his final year at Cal. Still don't think he's a first rounder, though. Maybe late first rounder-early second. Idk, though. I need to scout his game more before I say more.

i think he's gonna be a first rounder...might be a little of my bias in my opinion considering he is one of my friends, but as far as talent goes i think he could definitely be at LEAST a late first rounder. he's actually projected as one of the top 10 big men expected to enter this upcoming draft. but of course the PAC 10 isnt exactly known for its big men. it would be great to see DeVon in a warrior uniform tho. id buy it as soon as it hit the store, assuming he couldnt hook me up :mrgreen:
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Next

Return to Sports Board