4. hard to tell if is right or not
36%
5. Should have happened ages ago
36%

Total votes : 11

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:02 am
The nba has just made it mandatory for players to wear certain clothing. This means that guys like Allen Iverson can't wear what they usually do. He will be pissed!!!!!!!!!!

I reckon this is going to far - Looking quite fascist actually

Yes it is nice to see people dressed nicely but as long as there is nothing offensive with what they wear then it should be alright for the individual ADULT to dress how they like.

I believe that this will create a HUGE problem immediately and there will be some arguments, perhaps even court cases and (seems too extreme but believe it) possible suspensions and even expulsions of even star players if they do not comply! Fascist like indeed!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:20 am
Where's the "I don't care" option?.

I don't know why the dress code is such a big deal, it's not the first job that imposes a dress code, it's like wearing suits in an office. Players are paid to do a job, and must stick to its rules while doing it. They can wear whatever they want in their free time, but not while at work.

I kinda like it, in fact.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:55 am
Players make millions of dollars...

MILLIONS of dollars (I think the average salary in the league is 5 million a year)...

That money comes from investors and partners and owners who fund the team...

Do you think these investors and partners wear rags and chains into a department meeting they have?...

I don't care what the players wear outside of the league, but this is a business...

Many businesses require employees to wear suits and ties... it looks respectable...

This puts a positive image on the leage... players will now look like high class, educated basketball players instead of rejected street thugs...

I know that dressing in a suit isn't "the cool thing" to do anymore, but these players need to shut the hell up and just look decent for game day...

Players who want MORE money to buy a suit (like Jermaine O'Neal) should be shot... He makes MILLIONS of dollars a year and he needs money to buy a suit?

I love this rule. Without Michael Jordan or David Robinson in the league, players have forgotten what dignity and class are. This rule is a step towards a better result.

I'm all for the new rule.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:51 am
Player32 wrote:Players who want MORE money to buy a suit (like Jermaine O'Neal) should be shot... He makes MILLIONS of dollars a year and he needs money to buy a suit?

I think it was Camby who demanded money for the suits... I may be wrong.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:04 am
No, you're right. It was Marcus Camby. My mistake.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:53 am
Is this rule just while they are on the sidelines? If so they should have the choice; wear a suit or their warm-up attire. If the rule is for what they wear to the game that is absurd.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:32 pm
The detailed rules say that a player may choose to wear a sports coat instead of the collared shirts if he'd rather (on the sidelines).

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:34 pm
They can still wear jeans. It's not asking too much.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:13 pm
i think its a lot less strict then the NFL. not only off the field, but in the NFL for example, a player most wear the same type of shoes the entire year or face a fine. Manning tried to do this in the 1992 season when Johnny Unitas Died and wanted to wear shoes that memorated the great QB. But the NFL threatened manning with a $25,000 fine.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:20 pm
That's too damn far... that's almost cruel.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:19 pm
I read an article saying that players can still wear things like jeans so it is not that bad but this looks like the beginning of something bad - What next - What type of music you can listen to????

As long as this rule doesn't include in their private life then that is alright. Afterall, every company does seem to have a standard level of dress of some sort

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:33 pm
migya wrote:I read an article saying that players can still wear things like jeans so it is not that bad but this looks like the beginning of something bad - What next - What type of music you can listen to????

I'd hardly call looking presentable during game situations and team-sponsored functions a step towards utilitarianism. This isn't treating people like objects; this is normal. Would you come to your boss' daughter's wedding in a jersey and chains while your boss was in a tux? Of course not! Dressing for the occasion is just for the decency of the team. I, personally, think it's great. The league becomes more presentable, respectable, and mature. Letting players like Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby follow in the Dennis Rodman footsteps and dress in street clothes while entering an arena shows that they don't take their jobs very seriously. Dressing properly shows respect. It's all about a level of respect and, if you're like me, you think respect is one of the most important things in life.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:55 pm
I just hope things don't get out of hand

Return to Warriors Basketball