NBA Rookie of the Year

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which rookie would you bet is taking the award?

Andrew Bogut
8%
Marvin Williams
8%
Raymond Felton
8%
Chris Paul
33%
Ike Diogu
17%
Deron Williams
25%
Other (Specify)
No votes

Total votes : 12

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:16 pm
My pick's Raymond Felton because he'll likely be starting on his team and guards don't need as much time to adjust to the league as big men.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:55 am
I really do think that Bogut can get it because he should be able to get all the court time he wants and should get alot of the ball - He will be either the 1st or 2nd option, he and Redd.

Chris Paul will also get what he wants because he is the star in the Hornets, unless Magliore plays well again and JR Smith gets a fair bit better.

My pick is = Deron Williams
I reckon this guy has the skills, smarts and is on the right team to be great! The Jazz have a great chance to make the playoffs if all their talent can mesh well!

If Baron gets injured this year for a long period of time, I would trade him for Deron Williams - If he does perform as well as I expect him to. Deron Williams just seems to have that star material about him.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:12 am
Bogut, because he will get court time and he can really rebound. Pts will be a bonus but I know he will get 10 rbs/game.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:01 pm
Yeah, Bogut's a good player... I just think it'll be somewhere in the middle or end of the season before we truly see it (like Dwight Howard).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:04 am
You guys don't think Bogut can be a very good scorer (about 16 - 20pts) right away????

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:58 am
16-20 right now?, no, but he'll be able to do it, with time. He's still a rookie, this season will be his first real contact with NBA basketball. Maybe in a couple of seasons.

BTW, I voted Deron. He'll have the chance to shine in the Jazz.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:36 am
So did I - He looks like he's in the best situation to look good and do real well

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:21 am
Andrew Bogut has NOTHING on Emeka Okafor coming out of the draft... and Emeka only got 15 points a game his first season. 16-20 ppg is a disturbingly high average for a rookie... people who end up changing the game come in like that. I doubt Bogut will average so hgih (plus, he's on a team where Michael Redd's the first option... he wont get as many shots as you think).

Deron will be a great player, I agree, but I don't think the Jazz point guards after John Stockton have been stellar so far. I guess he'll have the chance to prove me wrong.

Surprised no one's voted for Marvin Williams! Kid was #2! And, damn, is he athletic! We may be overlooking somebody here...

Or Chris Paul! He has the potential to be the best point guard in the draft! Hell, I almost took him ahead of Ray Felton... but, Ray's got players to pass it to (Emeka, Gerald) and Chris Paul is gonna have to make due by himself. How sad.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:10 pm
Marvin Williams may not that much court time and the hawks now have a few young players that will want the ball

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:13 pm
Agree with Marvin Williams thing...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:06 am
Marvin Williams on the bench at Duke wasn't he. If that was the case, how the fuk did this guy get picked ahead of all the other guys, including about 4 of his teammates. If it was because of potential then he better end up great because his teammates seemed more polished

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:26 am
migya wrote:Marvin Williams on the bench at Duke wasn't he. If that was the case, how the fuk did this guy get picked ahead of all the other guys, including about 4 of his teammates. If it was because of potential then he better end up great because his teammates seemed more polished

Almost, he was the 6th man on the Tar Heels, North Carolina. He was picked ahead only becouse he has much more upside than Felton, May, McCants or Jawad Williams.

Physically, he has all the tools, but time will tell...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:43 am
Yeah, what it take to be a great NBA player and what it takes in college is different stuff. Look at Christian Laetiner, Derreck Coleman, and Harold Miner. Those guys would be NBA legends if college translated to NBA. Meanwhile, guys like Daryll Dawkins, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, and LeBron James all entered the league without even trying college and they're all going to be in the Hall of Fame someday.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:32 pm
I meant North Carolina. Upside but that doesn't always translate into a great career

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:33 pm
True, but most of the time it means a better career than those who played well in college.

Vince Carter had a tremendous upside, but his teammate (Antawn Jamison) was truly the superior college player. I'd say Vince has had a much better career than Antawn.
Next

Return to Sports Board