The All MMA Things Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:59 pm
I'm making this thread to post all information about the UFC. I'll post results of every UFC here and any of you that are fans can come here and check it out.

UFC 79

Main Event:

Matt Hughes vs Georges St Pierre

Round 1
Georges St Pierre dominates the entire first round, putting Matt Hughes on his back and ground and pounding him for most of the first round.

Round 2
Georges St Pierre just dominated another round, avoiding a takedown, doing fantastic ground and pound and ending it with a Judo throw, followed by an armbar finish

(Hughes verbally submitted).

Winner : Georges St Pierre

St Pierre now faces Matt Serra in a few months (once serra is recovered from his injury) to find out who is the real welterweight champion.
St Pierre is just too much for Hughes and has spanked him the last two times they have fought. He is the best welterweight ever and in two years should have shown so.

Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva

Round 1
Chuck mostly worked the jab, but landed a couple of big shots which appeared to rock Silva. In turn, Wanderlei landed big shots as well, but Chuck did not seem fazed.

Round 2
Wanderlei Silva takes the center of the ring early and pushes Chuck back. Both fighters land their share of punches with Chuck opening a cut near Silva's eye.

Round 3
Chuck does the unexpected and takes Silva down. They get right back up. Silva lands a big punch. The rest of round three was all Liddell.
Judges gave it to Liddell (two at 30-27 and one at 29-28).

Winner : Chuck Liddell

Undercard:

Rich Clementi vs Melvin Guillard
Round 1
No globe touch to start it off. Both fighters are hesitent early. A couple of fakes and guilllard throws a big shot, but doesn't land. Nice leg kick by Clementi. Nothing at the 1 minute mark of round 1. wo good shots by Guillard...high kick by Clementi. Guillard is certainly going for the home run punch. Good boyd kick by Clementi. Leg kick by Clemetnti. Clementi has Guillard and takes him down. Guillard goes for a choke, but Clementi now has Guillard's back...but not in a dangerous way. Full nelson by Clementi...Guillard spins and stands up...nice takedown, but Guillard is on top..back to their feet. Big right landed by Guillard, but he slips following up. On the ground now with Guillard in Clementi's guard...Clementi turns it over and now is on top. Read naked choke attempt by Clementi...has the hooks in, can Guillard survive 20 seconds....nope. Rich Clementi wins by tap-out.

Winner: Rich Clementi

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs Lyoto Machida
Round 1
A couple of strikes by Soko and the fight goes to the ground, initially with Soko on top but Machida gets top position fairly quickly. I've never actually seen Soko in this position before. Machida is working the arm, going for a Kimora. Some mild ground and pound from the top by Lyoto. Soko is just basically stalling and waiting for the fight to stand up. Ref is standing them up with a minute 20 left to go. Soko takes down Machida and works a little, they stand again. The round ends with them clinched against the fence.

Round 2
Nothing much happened for the first two minutes of the round, then Machida landed a big punch which took Soko down, then Machida landed some good punches and now Machida has full mount. Machida landing elbows to Soko's thigh. Great elbow from the top by Machida. Machida has a good choke, and Soko taps.

Winner : Lyoto Machida

Eddie Sanchez vs Soa Palalei
Round 1
A couple of quick strikes by Sanches and they clinch on the fence. Sanchez is down, with Palalei in kind of top position. Back to their feet and the ref splits them up (because of an illegal strike). Replay doesn't show any real damage from the strike, but Soa takes a break anyway. Sanchez comes right after him after the break. Sanchez has Soa up against the fence. Big miss by Soa and now Sanchez is striking with more confidence. Leg kick by Sanchez lands. Another miss by Soa. Round ends with Soa taunting Sanchez.

Round 2
No clear dominance in the first two minutes of the second round. Now Sao lands a big punch. More big misses by Soa. Sanchez takes down Soa, but Soa gets up rather quickly. Sanchez starts landing big punches with a minute left with a big uppercut. Soa has him pinned against the fence, but is offering no offence. Ref splits them up again another uppercut. Soa is taking damage and Sanchez is starting to showboat, but it's working.

Round 3
Sanchez is completely dominating round 3, but the fight does not seem to be in danger of ending. Soa is bleeding quite a bit from his nose. Soa is complaining about something, the fight is over. Maybe his nose is broken, or an eye poke (or crushed eye socket). Looks like a broken nose by the replay.

Winner : Eddie Sanchez

Nate Mohr vs Manny Gamburyan
Round 1
Manny takes the fight to the ground and pushes Nate up against the fence. Nate is doing a good job of tying up Manny...but Manny goes for a leg lock. Manny submits Nate with a leg lock and it looks like Nate is injured.

Winner : Manny Gamburyan

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:02 pm
Are you trying to start a new NFL Thread???

I'm sorry but UFC just doesn't have the Entertainment appeal that the WWE offers.

I mean if i want to watch 2 shirtless guys exchange blows i can just go down my local pub.

But what makes a fight special is the confrontation and the leadup to the fight.

if you were Triple H Would you smak Vince McMahon in the face if he cut off hair snipets of Stephany McMahon and put them in his Corn Flakes cereals??

I just don't like UFC simple as that
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:24 am

I won't change my vote for sig of the year right now, but this one will be hard to beat for next year.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:37 am
GSP owned hughes. i admire the way st pierre took off the belt and didnt accept the title...but hes gonna get owned by serra.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:10 am
yeah, that was pretty cool. 2 things I didn't care for about this event. That big dude that came in wearing the Predator mask looked like a beast...then let e down in the octagon. And, I hate that Chuck owned Silva all the way through...and didn't finish him off. What a joke. I guess he was more worried about which club he was gonna party at after :roll: I used to think the Iceman was the greatest...now he is just a rockstar
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:48 am
EMan32 wrote:GSP owned hughes. i admire the way st pierre took off the belt and didnt accept the title...but hes gonna get owned by serra.

I think Serra is a better fighter than he is given credit for but I do think he fluked it against St Pierre the first fight. St Pierre was obviously not right mentally, with the family issue he had and all and got caught. He'll destroy Serra in their next fight and go on to be the greatest welterweight ever after another two years or so. I just don't see any other welterweight beating him

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:52 am
sleandres wrote:yeah, that was pretty cool. 2 things I didn't care for about this event. That big dude that came in wearing the Predator mask looked like a beast...then let e down in the octagon. And, I hate that Chuck owned Silva all the way through...and didn't finish him off. What a joke. I guess he was more worried about which club he was gonna party at after :roll: I used to think the Iceman was the greatest...now he is just a rockstar

Liddell has been disappointing his last three fights, losing the first two and then beating Wanderlei but not by knocking him out. He is a great fighter though and will get back to the level he was

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:06 am
I saw the St Pierre v Hughes fight yesterday and it was unbelievable how St Pierre dominated Hughes, toally dominated him like has never even been close to being done. Hughes couldn't take him down but yet he took Hughes down and had his way with him, going ground and pound the whole first round and then the second before he submitted him with the arm bar.

Geroges St Pierre will be known as the greatest UFC Welterweight fighter ever by far!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:08 am

:mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:19 am
If you saw that fight you wouldn't say that :wink:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:26 am

Ok, ok, I'm outta here... :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:23 pm
You've gotta get taste for good sports buddy :)

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:28 pm
migya wrote:You've gotta get taste for good sports buddy :)

Hense why he doesnt like UFC. :)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:03 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

UFC is the elite in fighting sports. Tune in now and then, you might learn something :wink:

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:42 pm
migya wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

UFC is the elite in fighting sports. Tune in now and then, you might learn something :wink:

I have. It is disgusting. I have better things to do with my time.
Next

Return to Sports Board