9. Less than 2nd in East, nba champions or nba finals or East finals
No votes
10. Less than 2nd in East, out before East finals
9%

Total votes : 11

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:22 am
The Detroit Pistons have won nine straight and seventeen of nineteen!

I've always liked the Pistons and I've said so over the last couple of years on here, because they are winners. They have yet to get back to winning a championship but only one team wins a championship every year. They have been in the top two Eastern Conference spots the last few years, over five years actually.

There are some people on here, not many but some, that think the Pistons are not that good or frauds but there is no evidence of that and I am going to bring up stats from the past few years that shows that they are elite and even now, after losing Ben Wallace for nothing and Webber as well, they are still among the best in the nba.

2001-02 - Detroit Pistons 50 32 .610 (2nd in East), lost in 2nd round
2002-03 - Detroit Pistons 50 32 .610 (1st in East), lost in East Finals
2003-04 - Detroit Pistons 54 28 .659 (2nd in East), NBA CHAMPIONS
2004-05 - Detroit Pistons 54 28 .659 (2nd in East), Lost in NBA Finals
2005-06 - Detroit Pistons 53 29 .646 (1st in East), Lost in East Finals
2006-07 - Detroit Pistons 53 29 .646 (1st in East), Lost in East Finals

As the above stats show, the Pistons have been winners the last six seasons (not counting the current one) and only the Spurs are a comparison.

This season, the Celts look like being too much for them but things can change. The Pistons could again make it to the finals and once there they have the experience to win it all

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:52 am
I voted for second in the east, getting knocked out of the conference championship. Boston is just too talented with the Big Three, with a bunch of great role players around them. The Pistons would give them a run for their money, but I would say Boston in six. The thing Detroit has working for them is that veteran leadership. Those guys are winners. They could surprise some people. I am rooting for them this year. I dont like Boston.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:54 am
So you voted for them not to make the East finals? The way you wrote sounds like you think they will in the East finals against Boston

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:51 am
I think second in the east, they could get to the finals or they could lose to boston, I think the latter is more likely given their playoff chokes the last couple of years, especially given how good boston is (I kept denying that Boston was for real, but I can't deny it any more now that they're off to the best 29 game start in league history and could easily be 29-0 right now.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:59 am
This trio the Celts have is the best in nba history, better than the thre superstars the Rockets had on two occassions
- Olajuwon, Barkley and Drexler
- Olajuwon, Barkley, Pippen

Unbelievable that their lack of depth hasn't showed out and they have looked real good in most of their wins as well

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:07 am
migya wrote:This trio the Celts have is the best in nba history, better than the thre superstars the Rockets had on two occassions

Unbelievable that their lack of depth hasn't showed out and they have looked real good in most of their wins as well

yeah, I think those rockets trios would have been better in their primes than the Celtics trio but they were all over the hill by the time they played together.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:13 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:This trio the Celts have is the best in nba history, better than the thre superstars the Rockets had on two occassions

yeah, I think those rockets trios would have been better in their primes than the Celtics trio but they were all over the hill by the time they played together.

They were not over the hill the first season though. The first season Barkley was in houston, they were real good and all three guys, to a lesser extent Drexler, still had averages similar to what they had for their careers. All of a sudden, the foloowing season they just collapsed

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:38 am
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

They were not over the hill the first season though. The first season Barkley was in houston, they were real good and all three guys, to a lesser extent Drexler, still had averages similar to what they had for their careers. All of a sudden, the foloowing season they just collapsed

They weren't done and out, but they were well past their primes. Hakeem had the worst season he had had in his career at that point (besides maybe his rookie year) and was 34. Barkley did as well, and so did Drexler (again not counting his first couple of years).
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:42 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

They weren't done and out, but they were well past their primes. Hakeem had the worst season he had had in his career at that point (besides maybe his rookie year) and was 34. Barkley did as well, and so did Drexler (again not counting his first couple of years).

Yea but I think they just lost heart after the first season because they were awesome the first season together. Garnett, Pierce and Ray Allen are all over 30 as well so it is not like they are young guys in their prime but they just have alot of heart right now and see the opportunity. If they don't win it all this season, it will be interesting to see how much heart they have next season

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:30 am
Back to topic, I voted for the Pistons making it to the conference finals, where Boston should take care of them.

I don't think the Pistons are frauds. I actually like them a lot. Just not to the point that they can beat Boston (if everybody is healthy, that is). But they are clearly one of the top teams in the east.

The fraud is Flip, not the Pistons players.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:41 am
I voted for them to be out before the East Finals. I just have a hunch that the East Finals will be between Boston and Orlando. I actually think the Pistons might not even get the 2 seed. Just a prediction...no facts to support it :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:18 am
The chances are that the Pistons could even make the #1 seed in the East. If the Celts have just one injury to one of the big three, they could go on a losing streak. Even as they are, they still could start losing a few

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:27 am
migya wrote:So you voted for them not to make the East finals? The way you wrote sounds like you think they will in the East finals against Boston

I said that they would get knocked out of the conference championship. I mean they will make it, but lose to Boston. Sorry if I confused you guys.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:17 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
migya wrote:So you voted for them not to make the East finals? The way you wrote sounds like you think they will in the East finals against Boston

I said that they would get knocked out of the conference championship. I mean they will make it, but lose to Boston. Sorry if I confused you guys.

All clear now :wink:

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:49 am
I think they have it in them to make a run for the championship.

They have been playing longer together than Boston, and have better role players IMO.

No weaknesses in their starting 5. All are capable of playing good defense.

Then they now have Jarvis Hayes who can be a starter on some teams, putting scoring punch off the bench.

Mini-ben in Maxiel off the bench.

I really like their team and their chemistry. Of course, as an older team, staying away from injuries is key.
Next

Return to Sports Board