Warriors can trade disgruntled Pietrus Jan 1'st.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:17 am
Forward welcomes a chance for more playing time somewhere else
By Geoff Lepper

12/30/2007 02:57:41 AM PST

OAKLAND -- Warriors forward Mickael Pietrus spent much of this summer waiting for a trade that would deliver him from Oakland. It didn't happen, obviously, but beginning this week, that possibility will be once again in play.
After signing Pietrus to a one-year qualifying offer worth $3.47 million, the Warriors have been prohibited from dealing him for three months -- a limitation that ends Tuesday.

While both sides said they're not actively seeking a divorce, there is no doubt that Pietrus would still like to wind up with a team where he'll get more consistent playing time. And it's equally clear that the Warriors are open to the idea of dealing their longest-tenured player.

"If a trade is offered, I'll go," said Pietrus, who has the right to veto any deal because he would have to relinquish his "Larry Bird rights," potentially costing himself money on the free agent market next summer. "I'll give up my 'Bird rights' for 35 minutes (per game)."

According to executive vice president Chris Mullin, the Warriors are not shopping Pietrus' wares, but they are amenable to a trade if offered something suitably desirable.

That was a big stumbling block over the summer, when Pietrus' agents tried diligently but unsuccessfully to broker a deal. Golden State was less than enamored with all the choices Bill McCandless and Happy Walters were able to provide.

"There's no urgency. That's not something I can control. That's the (front) office's job and my agents',"

Pietrus said. "My thing so far right now is doing what I can do for the team and not thinking about anything else.
"It's a business, things happen every day, so if it happens to me, it's not the first time it happened to somebody. I'm trying to support my teammates and play basketball."

Pietrus, 25, set career-highs in almost every category you can think of last season, his fourth in the NBA but first with new coach Don Nelson. Nelson reined in Pietrus' tendencies to try to do too much offensively, and he enjoyed an 8.4 percent leap in his field-goal percentage, to 48.8, and 7.0 percent increase in his 3-point accuracy, to 38.8.

But this year, Pietrus' role has shrunk, not grown. After averaging 26.9 minutes a game last season, Pietrus hasn't reached that level once in 16 appearances since Nov. 24. His shooting numbers are back down near their career totals, and his averages in scoring (6.0 points per game, down from 11.1) and rebounding (2.9 from 4.5) have tumbled.

Asked recently if Pietrus still has growth left in his game after four years in the NBA and four more in France, Nelson said, "I hope there's a little growth there somewhere.
"He hasn't played as well this year as he did last year. I don't know why he hasn't played as well. He's going to say it's because he's not playing; I'm going to say he's not playing because he's not playing well. Do you want to get into that one?"
Nelson said Friday before Golden State's 124-120 loss to Denver that his more senior bench players -- swingmen such as Pietrus, Matt Barnes and Kelenna Azubuike -- were going to get their chance to help out over the Warriors' stretch of seven contests against other Western Conference playoff hopefuls.

That stretch might also serve as a bit of an audition process; one talent evaluator spotted at a recent Warriors game was paying close attention to every move made by Pietrus, Barnes and Azubuike, all of whom could be free agents at season's end.

Pietrus said he's not worried if potential suitors are thrown off by his decreased numbers while learning a new position as an undersized power forward.

"Teams already know what I'm capable to bring," Pietrus said. "In my mind, I'm already ready no matter what, where I go to. Right now, I'm just trying to focus on trying to just getting as many wins as we can and we'll see later."

Geoff Lepper
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:20 am
Broe, I was just about to post this on here. :shock: Anyways, yeah, good post. I am all for trading him now. He is a terrible player who, in my opinion, wont get better. He is absolutely terrible and wont fit in with this team. Good ridance, bud. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:08 am
The issue here is... who's gonna trade for him?. He had some value last year, but I can't see anybody trading anything worthwhile for him right now. Maybe a second rounder...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:20 am
Come on, now. A team would pay for a young wingman with a good shot and great athletic ability. We could get a good backup point guard for him. Maybe not a great player, but a decent player that could help a team. I wouldnt be surprised to see them trade him to Portland, who needs a backup small forward, and who has a surplus of point guards that I would like.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:58 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Come on, now. A team would pay for a young wingman with a good shot and great athletic ability. We could get a good backup point guard for him. Maybe not a great player, but a decent player that could help a team. I wouldnt be surprised to see them trade him to Portland, who needs a backup small forward, and who has a surplus of point guards that I would like.

I can't see Portland offering anything for him. With Roy, Webster, Outlaw and James Jones and even Jarret Jack, who's can also play some SG, they have those positions well covered. Also, they're playing so well right now that I don't think they'll tinker with their roster at this point.

The only teams willing to trade something might be teams that were supposed to be doing much better than their current standings, like Miami (I doubt it now, after trading for Ricky Davis and watching Daequan Cook play) or Cleveland.

The Cavs are a team I can envision trading for him... the problem is that there's nobody really interesting (and available) on their roster.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:02 pm
I'd just let his contract expire. We need all the cap room we can get.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:47 pm
Mullin also said they weren't shopping JRich, so he is shopping Pietrus :wink:

sfsf made a good point bringing up Portland as a potential suitor, though they must realise that they have Webster, Outlaw and even James Jones. I'd like to get Sergio Rodriguez, who showed flashes of PG ability last season but has been a forgotten man this season. Pietrus needs to go, for both him and the team as it is getting out of hand the trade talk

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:05 pm
JayPat wrote:I'd just let his contract expire. We need all the cap room we can get.

True, but the problem is Nellie is actually playing this guy :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:05 am
TMC wrote:The only teams willing to trade something might be teams that were supposed to be doing much better than their current standings, like Miami (I doubt it now, after trading for Ricky Davis and watching Daequan Cook play) or Cleveland.

The Cavs are a team I can envision trading for him... the problem is that there's nobody really interesting (and available) on their roster.

how about bringing larry hughes back? not sure if it would work out or if any of you would like it...plus i think hughes' contract might be huge. but if the numbers worked out i wouldnt mind having him back to revive his game. can play pg/sg, good defender, has a shot. i dunno...just a thought
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:30 am
A sack of sh*t would play better basketball than Pietrus. Bring Hughes on! Bring anybody on! Just get rid of him!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:46 am
migya wrote:I'd like to get Sergio Rodriguez, who showed flashes of PG ability last season but has been a forgotten man this season. Pietrus needs to go, for both him and the team as it is getting out of hand the trade talk

Sergio is a GREAT playmaker, perfect for Nellie's system. His problem, and the only reason why he doesn't get play time, is that he can't defend anybody. He'd be, by far, our worst defender. Wouldn't be a bad trade, tho, but I can't see Portland going for it.

EMan32 wrote:how about bringing larry hughes back? not sure if it would work out or if any of you would like it...plus i think hughes' contract might be huge. but if the numbers worked out i wouldnt mind having him back to revive his game. can play pg/sg, good defender, has a shot. i dunno...just a thought

Larry's contract is not bad. It's worse. He's signed for 2 more years besides this one, at $12 million for the current season, 12.8 the next and 13.6 the last one. One of the worst contracts of the league.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:20 am
Pietrus is getting traded to New York..

I'm hearing David Lee or Nate Robinson. Isaih and Chris had this deal tea'd up when Chris went back to New York over the Christmas Break to be with his families... they caught the Pats vs Gmen Game and watched a real good team go 16-0. I'll try and find the link...->????

:?: :?: :?: :bday: :bday: :bday:

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:24 am
pawnograffiti wrote:Pietrus is getting traded to New York..

I'm hearing David Lee or Nate Robinson. Isaih and Chris had this deal tea'd up when Chris went back to New York over the Christmas Break to be with his families... they caught the Pats vs Gmen Game and watched a real good team go 16-0. I'll try and find the link...->????

please be david lee!!! even tho that would be total rapeage of NY. if isiah really agreed to that, id have to honor him as the stupidest pres of bball operations ever. even stupider than larry bird taking on ike, troy, and dunny. i dont like nate robinson...im sorry i just dont. but if its david lee...wooo!
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:23 am
pawnograffiti wrote:Pietrus is getting traded to New York..

I doubt it. At least the David Lee trade. If Isiah trades David Lee for Pietrus he won't make it past the next home game of the Knicks. The NY crowd will burn him alive as a chistmas present to the basketball gods.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:26 am
I would not like Robinson on this team. He is only good for 2 things...attempting the same dunk 1,000,000 times and scaring the SH*T out of Melo. On second thought maybe they should get him, in case we get the Nuggets in the Playoffs :mrgreen:
Next

Return to News Articles