Chris Paul's Monster Season

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:13 pm
It's rare that there are this many threads started about individual players throughout a season, but Paul shouldn't go un-noticed.

Chris Paul this season has averaged 21.5 points, 10 assists, and 2.9 steals. The number of people who have averaged those numbers is zero. He's been shooting steve nash level percentages from the field, line, and three point line too. Here's how his numbers compare to other great point guards' best seasons adjusted to Hornets pace.

Chris Paul: 21.7-10-3.8-2.9 2.85 turnovers per game
John Stockton: 17.8-15-2.7-2.8 3.6 turnovers per game
Isiah Thomas: 18.1-11.8-3.8-1.96 3.15 turnovers per game
Steve Nash: 18.5-11.5-3.5-0.8 3.8 turnovers per game
Bob Cousy: 14.7-7.2-3.6 (steals and turnover stats unavailable)

In other words, he's playing at nearly the level of a peak Isiah Thomas or Steve Nash. I'm not saying he's as good as them (yet) but it's pretty amazing that at 22 years old he's having probably one of the top ten statistical seasons of any point guard not named magic johnson.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:27 pm
I hadn't brought up Chris Paul but he does deserve mention as he is producing like a top 10 player this season.

You forgot Allen Iverson and the following season he had trumps all of the PGs you listed:

2004-05
30.7 points, 8.0 assists, 4.0 rebounds, 4.6 TOs, 2.4 steals

I'm sure one or two guys here will try and make some sort of pathetic excuse to downplay that great season by Iverson but the numbers don't lie and he was on a shiit team that he carries, like he did every season

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:27 am
migya wrote:I hadn't brought up Chris Paul but he does deserve mention as he is producing like a top 10 player this season.

You forgot Allen Iverson and the following season he had trumps all of the PGs you listed:

2004-05

I'm sure one or two guys here will try and make some sort of pathetic excuse to downplay that great season by Iverson but the numbers don't lie and he was on a shiit team that he carries, like he did every season

It was a great season, but Iverson doesn't really make people around him better. However, his team was ****, so I give him credit. And also, his percentages don't match up with the level of the point guards listed above.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:11 am
JayPat wrote:
migya wrote:I hadn't brought up Chris Paul but he does deserve mention as he is producing like a top 10 player this season.

2004-05

It was a great season, but Iverson doesn't really make people around him better. However, his team was ****, so I give him credit. And also, his percentages don't match up with the level of the point guards listed above.

Exactly, his team was terrible. It was remarkable that he carried them to the playoffs, and it was in fact an amazing season by AI. I'm just not sure how to rate it, considering how bad his teammates were.

As for Chris Paul, he's Isiah Thomas reborn. It's gonna be interesting to see what he can do with a good team, like the Hornets have, around him as he matures. Right now, to me, he's the best PG in the league. I wonder how much more can he develop.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:47 am
JayPat wrote:

2004-05

His percentages: 42.4FG%, 30.8FG3% and 83.5FT%.

These are pretty good percentages for a guard, especially the team's ONLY offensive weapon

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:46 pm

These are pretty good percentages for a guard, especially the team's ONLY offensive weapon

Yeah, but that's a good 7 or 8% from the field, 5 or 6 percent from the foul line, and 10% from the three point line behind most of the other guys.

That being said, in an NBA redistribution of talent I'd take Chris Paul over AI because Chris Paul is more of a leader and a guy who makes his teammates better.
ImageImage

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:39 pm
yup we're seeing the next great pg in the making. pretty amazing how he and deron have gotten so good so fast...gonna be a rivalry for the ages. im hoping felton can make some strides and give them competition too, but hes not deserving of rivalry status at this point
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:37 pm
Deron is a great young point guard also, but I really don't get why people think it's even a debate whether he or Chris Paul is better. It's more like Chris Paul is better at everything. He's the better scorer, passer, rebounder, defender, and ballhandler. Paul's team is 20-10 with him as the best player, Deron's team is 16-16 with him as the second best player.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:54 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Yeah, but that's a good 7 or 8% from the field, 5 or 6 percent from the foul line, and 10% from the three point line behind most of the other guys.

That being said, in an NBA redistribution of talent I'd take Chris Paul over AI because Chris Paul is more of a leader and a guy who makes his teammates better.

Chris Paul to a Hornets team that is much more talented than any of Iverson's 76ers teams and that factors heavily in Iverson's percentages, as he had to take alot of shots over three guys often. Even now in Denver, it is basically him and Carmelo as the scorers with not much else and his percentages have still gotten better.

In a redistro, I'd take Paul on a talented team, otherwise I'd take Iverson. If we are going statistically only, I'd probably still take Iverson, though it is close

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:56 pm
slicksteven wrote:yup we're seeing the next great pg in the making. pretty amazing how he and deron have gotten so good so fast...gonna be a rivalry for the ages. im hoping felton can make some strides and give them competition too, but hes not deserving of rivalry status at this point

Felton is definately looking like a very good PG but he might only go to the next level by next season as this season he looks good and nothing more

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:03 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Deron is a great young point guard also, but I really don't get why people think it's even a debate whether he or Chris Paul is better. It's more like Chris Paul is better at everything. He's the better scorer, passer, rebounder, defender, and ballhandler. Paul's team is 20-10 with him as the best player, Deron's team is 16-16 with him as the second best player.

You forget last season, where the Jazz were light years ahead of the Hornets.

Paul has West, Chandler, Peja, Mo Peterson and guys off the bench like Bobby Jackson and Hilton Armstrong, to name just a couple. Deron has Boozer and really little else as Okur has been hurt and a relative non factor this season and Kirilenko hasn't done much, definately not anywhere near to the level he was at before last season. They have nothing else really, as their bench isn't as good as the Hornets and their starting five is also worse.

Deron is on a par with Paul pretty much, but you can make a case that Paul is slightly ahead of him

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:45 pm
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Deron is a great young point guard also, but I really don't get why people think it's even a debate whether he or Chris Paul is better. It's more like Chris Paul is better at everything. He's the better scorer, passer, rebounder, defender, and ballhandler. Paul's team is 20-10 with him as the best player, Deron's team is 16-16 with him as the second best player.

Paul has West, Chandler, Peja, Mo Peterson and guys off the bench like Bobby Jackson and Hilton Armstrong, to name just a couple. Deron has Boozer and really little else as Okur has been hurt and a relative non factor this season and Kirilenko hasn't done much, definately not anywhere near to the level he was at before last season. They have nothing else really, as their bench isn't as good as the Hornets and their starting five is also worse.

Deron is on a par with Paul pretty much, but you can make a case that Paul is slightly ahead of him

Deron has two allstars on his team, another near-allstar (AK47), and some other nice pieces like Brewer. Peja and Mopete are average players at best at this point in their careers. David West and Chandler are a good frontcourt, but nowhere near as good as Utah's frontcourt.

Bottom line is that Chris Paul has taken a lesser talented team to a 5 game better record and also is a better scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender, as I mentioned earlier. It's more than a slight difference at this point.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:09 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:

Deron has two allstars on his team, another near-allstar (AK47), and some other nice pieces like Brewer. Peja and Mopete are average players at best at this point in their careers. David West and Chandler are a good frontcourt, but nowhere near as good as Utah's frontcourt.

Bottom line is that Chris Paul has taken a lesser talented team to a 5 game better record and also is a better scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender, as I mentioned earlier. It's more than a slight difference at this point.

Like I said, Deron has less talent to work with than Paul. This season, Okur won't even be given a look at being picked for allstar, not even a single look by any of the coaches. Chandler wil be given a serious look for getting one of the last two spots on the allstar team, he won't get it, but he will get much more consideration than Okur. Kirilenko is better than last season but has no hope of being allstar, even if the Jazz were a top 3 team, he just hasn't done enough and been that good.

Peja is not an average player, if he is Brewer is below average. The Hornets use Peja and Mo Peterson as outside bombers, they have better role players than the Jazz. Like I said, their bench is better than the Jazz's. You can only say that they have an advantage at PF but Boozer is less better than West than Chandler is Okur. Boozer outdoes West by 5.2pts, 2.1rebs, 0.7stls and West outblocks him by 0.8blks. Chandler outdoes Okur by a whopping 7rebs, 0.9blks and Okur outscores Chandler (who's weakest aspect is scoring) by just 0.1pts!

Like I said, the Hornets are more talented than the Jazz and Paul has more to work with than Deron

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:46 pm
hmm paul's definately having a better year than deron, but deron's still good enough to be paul's rival, you cant debate that

and we have to wait a few years to see how everything pans out. remember that chris paul is more fragile while deron's big and strong...injuries could play a big role in shaping their careers
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:22 am
migya wrote:Like I said, Deron has less talent to work with than Paul.

No way. Boozer alone is better than anybody the Hornets have. New Orleans has a pretty good roster, but it's composed by good players, not stars. Paul is their only star.

In Utah, you have a top PF in Boozer, a player that could be a contender for DPOY in Kirilenko and role players as good as those New Orleans has.

It's not even close in terms of talent.

The only thing Deron has on Chris Paul is endurance, as Paul has missed a lot more games than Deron in their respective careers. Anything else, Paul has the edge (albeit Deron is also a great, great pg... just not on the same level).
Next

Return to Sports Board