Game Thread: Denver Nuggets @ Warriors 2007-12-28

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Can the Warriors win at home against the Nuggets?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:11 pm

YES
16
89%
NO
2
11%
 
Total votes : 18

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21414
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:09 am
32 wrote:
32 wrote:For those of you who were clamoring that Iverson would step outta the way and distribute for Carmelo, I'd like to make mention that he's currently 3rd in the league (tied with Dwayne Wade, behind LeBron James) for percentage of his team's points ( at 25.1%). Go ahead. Cite the 7 ally-oops he throws to Carmelo as "distribution". I cringe watching Iverson play.

If the Warriors get it going from beyond the arc, they can take this game. But we don't have a defensive answer for Iverson. Jackson will do what he can on 'Melo, but who guards AI? Baron? Because Allen will pass him like he's standing still... Monta seems like the best option, but I have a feeling it'll result in some quick fouls.

Please point out where I said Iverson "was great".



You don't have to say the word "great" to imply it. Your post states Iverson is third for percentage of his team's points. Then in your next paragraph you state how he will pass right by Baron when Baron tries to defend him and Baron can play pretty good defense, at least gets alot of steals :wink:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:15 am
Being fast doesn't make somebody great. Yes, he can blow by Baron Davis... but Baron is a bulldozer that can post Iverson all day, so your point is invalid. And accounting for 25.1% of your team's points, when you're standing next to Carmelo Anthony, is disgusting. Iverson should be allowing the kid to run the team. He's hijacked that whole offense this year. Anybody with half a brain would say the Nuggets have a more talented lineup than the Warriors, but somehow we've got identical records (and more people would say the Warriors have been underperforming this year). How does that happen?

Look at the teams with people that account for 25% of their scoring: Kobe on the Lakers, LeBron on the Cav's, Wade on the HEAT... are those teams going anywhere? Are they bound for the NBA Finals? Of course not. They score a ton of points, but they hog the ball and kill any chance of their team chemistry picking up. We've seen slaughters in the NBA Finals because players like Iverson and LeBron can't ballhog their team past an NBA Champion.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21414
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:18 am
Don't know whether you've been paying attention but Carmelo's had some stinkers the last couple of weeks, real bad games. Iverson has had to take over and score a little more for the Nugs to win and he's done a king kong like job of it, as he has done most of his career. Carmelo has been shooting horribly for a few games there
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:26 am
Carmelo Anthony has only scored below 20 points five times this season (none of which were in single digits). He's had 23 games above 20 points and 10 games above 30.

And don't tell me 'Melo isn't shooting as well as Iverson. Don't know if you've been paying attention or not, but they're both 45% on the season.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:22 pm
Melo is also having a remarkable season. And he comes here in the best streak of his season. In the last 4 games, he has grabbed 16, 12, 12 and 10 boards and never scored less than 29 points in any of those games.

Those are player of week numbers. And he's doing so taking less shots than AI.

I'm not taking any sides here, as you all know I love AI's competitive fire, and probably Melo wouldn't be able to do what he's doing without all the attention from the defense that AI takes away from him... but Melo's stats are far better than AI's.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21414
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:49 pm
Here are the stats on the season for the two:


Carmelo - 25.5pts, 6.5rebs, 3.7asts, 3.7TOs, 1.4stls, 0.6blks, 45.3FG%, 29.9FG3%, 78.6FT%

Iverson - 26.3pts, 2.9rebs, 7.3asts, 3.6TOs, 2.4stls, 0.1blks, 45.9FG%, 29.8FG3%, 83FT%


Iverson beats Carmelo EVERYWHERE except blocks and rebounds. Iverson's STATS are better than Carmelo's and Iverson is doing much better than Carmelo buddy :wink:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:54 pm
As always, you failed to mention that Iverson plays a third of a quarter more per night than Anthony. Per 48, Carmelo's scoring average is higher than Iverson's... and thats not a fluke, since they both play over 35 minutes a game. Denver would score more points per game if they relied on Carmelo Anthony more than Allen Iverson. Fact.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21414
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:12 pm
32 wrote:As always, you failed to mention that Iverson plays a third of a quarter more per night than Anthony. Per 48, Carmelo's scoring average is higher than Iverson's... and thats not a fluke, since they both play over 35 minutes a game. Denver would score more points per game if they relied on Carmelo Anthony more than Allen Iverson. Fact.



Iverson plays 41mins and Carmelo plays 37mins, negligible.

The facts are as I presented them, yours is total opinion
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:36 pm
migya wrote:
32 wrote:As always, you failed to mention that Iverson plays a third of a quarter more per night than Anthony. Per 48, Carmelo's scoring average is higher than Iverson's... and thats not a fluke, since they both play over 35 minutes a game. Denver would score more points per game if they relied on Carmelo Anthony more than Allen Iverson. Fact.



Iverson plays 41mins and Carmelo plays 37mins, negligible.


Well, it seems like the stats Iverson is better than Melo in are negligible differences as well. What's your point?
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:40 pm
migya wrote:
32 wrote:As always, you failed to mention that Iverson plays a third of a quarter more per night than Anthony. Per 48, Carmelo's scoring average is higher than Iverson's... and thats not a fluke, since they both play over 35 minutes a game. Denver would score more points per game if they relied on Carmelo Anthony more than Allen Iverson. Fact.



Iverson plays 41mins and Carmelo plays 37mins, negligible.

The facts are as I presented them, yours is total opinion

Oh. Iverson playing 4 more minutes per game and having a lower PP48 than Carmelo Anthony is my opinion?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:19 pm
man, i know i just joined the thread and all, but **** miggy, you come off to me as a complete smart ass. you talking about sfsf takin small jabs, but from being apart of this forum for a couple of months now, im under the impression that you take those little jabs all the damn time. the way you write makes feel like you always talkin down on someone, and that wink face you do all the time gives me the impression that you think your better than us. no offense at all man, you seem like a pretty knowledgable dude, and so is TMC and 32, but the way you go about it makes you seem like a straight up asshole. no offense at all man, i hope you can take it as constructive criticism or something.


but anyway, back to warriors basketball, i think denver is raw on paper. it scares me when i look at their roster. they have the best offensive/defensive players. i just dont understand why they arent winning more. they have a **** load of fire power in AI and Melo, and they may have the defensive player of the year in marcus camby. and whoever said it was right, the threes need to reign in for us to have a better chance of winning.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

All Star
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:56 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:32 pm
32 wrote:Being fast doesn't make somebody great. Yes, he can blow by Baron Davis... but Baron is a bulldozer that can post Iverson all day, so your point is invalid. And accounting for 25.1% of your team's points, when you're standing next to Carmelo Anthony, is disgusting. Iverson should be allowing the kid to run the team. He's hijacked that whole offense this year. Anybody with half a brain would say the Nuggets have a more talented lineup than the Warriors, but somehow we've got identical records (and more people would say the Warriors have been underperforming this year). How does that happen?

Look at the teams with people that account for 25% of their scoring: Kobe on the Lakers, LeBron on the Cav's, Wade on the HEAT... are those teams going anywhere? Are they bound for the NBA Finals? Of course not. They score a ton of points, but they hog the ball and kill any chance of their team chemistry picking up. We've seen slaughters in the NBA Finals because players like Iverson and LeBron can't ballhog their team past an NBA Champion.


To be a little contrary about this, it did seem LeBron tried to get his team involved and they just couldn't.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 935
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:29 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:29 pm
carlgo wrote:
32 wrote:Being fast doesn't make somebody great. Yes, he can blow by Baron Davis... but Baron is a bulldozer that can post Iverson all day, so your point is invalid. And accounting for 25.1% of your team's points, when you're standing next to Carmelo Anthony, is disgusting. Iverson should be allowing the kid to run the team. He's hijacked that whole offense this year. Anybody with half a brain would say the Nuggets have a more talented lineup than the Warriors, but somehow we've got identical records (and more people would say the Warriors have been underperforming this year). How does that happen?

Look at the teams with people that account for 25% of their scoring: Kobe on the Lakers, LeBron on the Cav's, Wade on the HEAT... are those teams going anywhere? Are they bound for the NBA Finals? Of course not. They score a ton of points, but they hog the ball and kill any chance of their team chemistry picking up. We've seen slaughters in the NBA Finals because players like Iverson and LeBron can't ballhog their team past an NBA Champion.


To be a little contrary about this, it did seem LeBron tried to get his team involved and they just couldn't.


amen
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:09 am
This is absolutely a test for the Ws. The Nuggets are playing their best ball of the season, but it is at oracle. So I say the Ws in a repeat of last year's track meet. One question for 32. Who thinks the Ws have been underperforming? I haven't seen that anywhere. You think they should have a better record than 17-12? They are 16-6 since Sjax returned. I mean they went 4-1 and 3-2 on their road trips, which I am thrilled about...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:17 am
Look at the teams with people that account for 25% of their scoring: Kobe on the Lakers, LeBron on the Cav's, Wade on the HEAT... are those teams going anywhere? Are they bound for the NBA Finals? Of course not. They score a ton of points, but they hog the ball and kill any chance of their team chemistry picking up. We've seen slaughters in the NBA Finals because players like Iverson and LeBron can't ballhog their team past an NBA Champion.


I had to jump in here. Lebron is a top 6 passer in the league, the league's most valuable player to his team, and certainly not a ball hog. Only Nash, Paul, and Jason Kidd are significantly better passers than 'Bron, with Baron and Deron about even with him. For a small forward to be able to dish out 8 assists a night is amazing. To call him a ball hog is like saying KG is a bad rebounder.
ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron