Game Thread: Minnesota Timberwolves @ Warriors 2007-12-26

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will the Warriors take care of the Wolves?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:22 pm

YES
100%
NO
No votes

Total votes : 22

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:08 am
~W~ wrote:
CjR wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I would much rather have a healthy Baron for the playoffs than a Baron in the All Star Game. As long as we are winning, and everybody is staying healthy, Nellie can do whatever the hell he wants in terms of giving minutes.

The argument is the minutes with Baron, which impacts his health. The more he plays, the more we gamble (higher the chances of getting injured or breaking down towards the end). He’s had two knee surgeries already.

its difficult for "me" to say Nellie is making the bad choice... Do you risk losing momentum to give Baron a break or take the chance to secure the victory...

I’m speaking specifically on games we have comfortable leads (even blowouts), when Nelson does not rest Baron. The most recent was the Cleveland game where he played all 48 minutes. This game was a classic example, despite having a huge lead (near 30). How can one justify 48 minutes? So long as most starters are in there (definitely Jackson and Monta), I’m fine with it. Resting players is what all coaches do—and I’d rather risk a little momentum than risk the entire season, given Baron’s history of injuries, demands of his position, and our high-energy style of play. Because if he can’t rest him in those types of games, when will he ever rest him?
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:14 am
The game was a blowout but they let them back in the 3rd and couldn’t just turn it on in the 4th. Monta and Baron kept us in the game, but our bench was crap going 2 – 14. AZ had a real bad shooting night, but he kept on launching the 3s. He (and others) should have drove and been more aggressive inside. Anyhow, there was no doubt we would get the win, but it was a bad way to end. Also, the sell-out crowed was very quiet till the end. They really need to pump this team up at home.

But back to Monta, this guy is definitely for real with his inside-outside game; it seems he just can’t miss—and definitely not turning the ball over. This guy’s gonna be great.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:26 am
CjR wrote:But back to Monta, this guy is definitely for real with his inside-outside game; it seems he just can’t miss—and definitely not turning the ball over. This guy’s gonna be great.

I agree. I know he just had his career high, but his level of play lately has led me to question if I would take him over Biedrins given the choice of one but not both. He is scoring like his usual self again, and trimming the mistakes and costly turnovers.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:15 am
I was going to post my thoughts about the game, but quoting CjR should suffice...

CjR wrote:The game was a blowout but they let them back in the 3rd and couldn’t just turn it on in the 4th. Monta and Baron kept us in the game, but our bench was crap going 2 – 14. AZ had a real bad shooting night, but he kept on launching the 3s. He (and others) should have drove and been more aggressive inside. Anyhow, there was no doubt we would get the win, but it was a bad way to end. Also, the sell-out crowed was very quiet till the end. They really need to pump this team up at home.

Exactly what I thought. Seems like the team thought it was so easy that they got complacent in the second half and allowed Minny to get back in the game. Should have been a much more comfortable win.

CjR wrote:But back to Monta, this guy is definitely for real with his inside-outside game; it seems he just can’t miss—and definitely not turning the ball over. This guy’s gonna be great.

Just imagine what he'll be able to do if he develops an outside shot (and doesn't abuse it).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:54 am
Another win though not a good one as the team allowing the TWolves back in was not a good sign. Great to see Monta have his best game yet and the guy looks a keeper at the moment, a dramatic improvement from what he was doing the first few weeks

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:32 am
ugly win this one, luckily we have monta and Baron...
Hopefully, next game we play better than this one..
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:10 am
I held my breath when Monta went down. That scared the SH*T outta me. I just got finished telling my buddy how incredible Monta's been playing, since his slow start to the season, and than THAT happens. Jeez.

The game shouldn't have been that close. That's all I gotta say. Al Harrington didn't have it and Nelson REFUSED to even try Brandan Wright.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:41 am
CjR wrote:
~W~ wrote:
CjR wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I would much rather have a healthy Baron for the playoffs than a Baron in the All Star Game. As long as we are winning, and everybody is staying healthy, Nellie can do whatever the hell he wants in terms of giving minutes.

The argument is the minutes with Baron, which impacts his health. The more he plays, the more we gamble (higher the chances of getting injured or breaking down towards the end). He’s had two knee surgeries already.

its difficult for "me" to say Nellie is making the bad choice... Do you risk losing momentum to give Baron a break or take the chance to secure the victory...

I’m speaking specifically on games we have comfortable leads (even blowouts), when Nelson does not rest Baron. The most recent was the Cleveland game where he played all 48 minutes. This game was a classic example, despite having a huge lead (near 30). How can one justify 48 minutes? So long as most starters are in there (definitely Jackson and Monta), I’m fine with it. Resting players is what all coaches do—and I’d rather risk a little momentum than risk the entire season, given Baron’s history of injuries, demands of his position, and our high-energy style of play. Because if he can’t rest him in those types of games, when will he ever rest him?

True, I agree, but I've seen enough games to know that no lead is ever safe. (Tell that to San Antonio up 10+ with a lil over a minute left only to have T-Mac beat them) I know its an exception, but Nelly is probably thinking that his Bench is simply NOT good good enough to control the tempo of the game. I love Sjax and Monta but when the team is in a funk it is Baron who controls and lead us to victory. I fully agree with you, that Baron NEEDS to be rested so it up to Mullin to get a back up PG to the satisfactory of Nelly.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:44 am
TMC wrote:

Just imagine what he'll be able to do if he develops an outside shot (and doesn't abuse it).

The thing with Monta that impresses me is the fact, that at twenty-one, he knows his limitations. He wont shoot that three, he will step in and make that mid-range all day. I would much rather him shoot that than shoot the bombs. He is a smart player.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:53 am
Monta wil have to get a three point shot though, it is pretty essential. He is not that bad at all shooting threes so he just has to take a little more in time. Playing the way he plays is pretty effective though and the team needs a slasher like him

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:00 am
migya wrote:Monta wil have to get a three point shot though, it is pretty essential. He is not that bad at all shooting threes so he just has to take a little more in time. Playing the way he plays is pretty effective though and the team needs a slasher like him

He picks and chooses his threes. When he does shoot them, he normally makes them. As long as he continues to develop, he is doing fine.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:04 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:He picks and chooses his threes. When he does shoot them, he normally makes them.

[-X

He's shooting below .250. That's not the percentage of someone that normally makes them. At least, as you say, he's smart enough to not take those shots.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:18 pm
TMC wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:He picks and chooses his threes. When he does shoot them, he normally makes them.

[-X

He's shooting below .250. That's not the percentage of someone that normally makes them. At least, as you say, he's smart enough to not take those shots.

The percentages dont say everything. A lot of the threes that he takes are forced because of the shot clock. I will rephraise how I said this: when he chooses to shoot the three, it goes in. He has a shot if he is wide open. He does need to work on it, though.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:38 pm
Baron played 40 minutes. Gah damnit...

His minutes must go down!!!
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:25 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:The percentages dont say everything. A lot of the threes that he takes are forced because of the shot clock. I will rephraise how I said this: when he chooses to shoot the three, it goes in. He has a shot if he is wide open. He does need to work on it, though.

The percentages say he scores 1 each 4 shots he takes. If they're forced or not it's a different debate, and one that should involve the whole team (why is he in that position, to began with?. Shouldn't be Baron the one that takes those forced shots?).
Last edited by TMC on Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads