The Giants should sign Mark Prior

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:44 pm
Seen it. I'm not happy about it, either.

Of ALL divisions in ANY league, he chose ours... :banghead: That makes his comeback a little harder to root for.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:22 pm
I guess a MAX of $3 million is too rich for the Giants blood.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:48 pm
Huh, I didnt see this. If he turns out to be half the player he was when he was dominating with the Cubs, it would be a great signing. If he doesnt, though, it really doesnt matter. It is a low risk-high reward signing. I do bet that he will get hurt within his first ten games, though.

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:44 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Huh, I didnt see this. If he turns out to be half the player he was when he was dominating with the Cubs, it would be a great signing. If he doesnt, though, it really doesnt matter. It is a low risk-high reward signing. I do bet that he will get hurt within his first ten games, though.


Giants should have pulled the trigger. Not only would it have given them some media interest (and therefor fan interest), but if he did pan out they could have dealed him at the trading deadline for a prospect.

Sabean and the Giants are showing zero imagination. Take a few risks for God's sakes. Now's the time to try something different.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:48 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Huh, I didnt see this. If he turns out to be half the player he was when he was dominating with the Cubs, it would be a great signing. If he doesnt, though, it really doesnt matter. It is a low risk-high reward signing. I do bet that he will get hurt within his first ten games, though.


Giants should have pulled the trigger. Not only would it have given them some media interest (and therefor fan interest), but if he did pan out they could have dealed him at the trading deadline for a prospect.

Sabean and the Giants are showing zero imagination. Take a few risks for God's sakes. Now's the time to try something different.


I absolutely dispise Sabean. I think he is a stupid man. I dont think that he knows what he needs to do. He says he will do one thing, then recant and do the opposite. He needs to go.

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:11 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Huh, I didnt see this. If he turns out to be half the player he was when he was dominating with the Cubs, it would be a great signing. If he doesnt, though, it really doesnt matter. It is a low risk-high reward signing. I do bet that he will get hurt within his first ten games, though.


Giants should have pulled the trigger. Not only would it have given them some media interest (and therefor fan interest), but if he did pan out they could have dealed him at the trading deadline for a prospect.

Sabean and the Giants are showing zero imagination. Take a few risks for God's sakes. Now's the time to try something different.


I absolutely dispise Sabean. I think he is a stupid man. I dont think that he knows what he needs to do. He says he will do one thing, then recant and do the opposite. He needs to go.


I'm pretty much right there with you. He can't get the guys he wants in FA, and he's never been one to develop talent. In fact, he often gave up the Giants first round draft pick when signing FAs before the signing period opened (without consequence, that is). I'd love to see a history of how many guys he's given up over the years.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Modesto, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:11 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Huh, I didnt see this. If he turns out to be half the player he was when he was dominating with the Cubs, it would be a great signing. If he doesnt, though, it really doesnt matter. It is a low risk-high reward signing. I do bet that he will get hurt within his first ten games, though.


Giants should have pulled the trigger. Not only would it have given them some media interest (and therefor fan interest), but if he did pan out they could have dealed him at the trading deadline for a prospect.

Sabean and the Giants are showing zero imagination. Take a few risks for God's sakes. Now's the time to try something different.


I absolutely dispise Sabean. I think he is a stupid man. I dont think that he knows what he needs to do. He says he will do one thing, then recant and do the opposite. He needs to go.


Agreed, he has to go...I was hoping he'd be gone by now. If we are rebuilding, we may as well get a new GM too. I'm pretty sure Prior went where he wanted to go...he's back home now. I

Role Player
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:40 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:08 pm
i think trading haren was an awesome move for the a's. definately coulda gotten a better package in return, but it wasnt a good idea to hold onto haren while the club was clearly going nowhere.

and yeah, last season's stats were a bit deceptive because he was somehow pedro martinez for the first half of the season. when he came back down to earth, he was just your typical decent pitcher. hes definately overrated to some extent, and yes he was our best pitcher since the big 3 (besides harden, who could be a top 3 pitcher in the mlb by now if not for his mark prior syndrome), but i really cant see him repeating the success he had last year

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:15 pm
slicksteven wrote:i think trading haren was an awesome move for the a's. definately coulda gotten a better package in return, but it wasnt a good idea to hold onto haren while the club was clearly going nowhere.

and yeah, last season's stats were a bit deceptive because he was somehow pedro martinez for the first half of the season. when he came back down to earth, he was just your typical decent pitcher. hes definately overrated to some extent, and yes he was our best pitcher since the big 3 (besides harden, who could be a top 3 pitcher in the mlb by now if not for his mark prior syndrome), but i really cant see him repeating the success he had last year


I think that's what Beane's thinking, as well. Haren's trade value may never be higher than it is now, and so Beane moved him to add even more depth to an already solid minor league system. Sure, he didn't get the DBack's best, but the DBack's best are already moving toward arbitration and Beane doesn't want to spend any money if he doesn't have to.

We'll see how that pans out.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

Role Player
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:40 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:41 pm
yup most of beane's moves turn out successful, so here's hoping this one's the same

btw what do u guys think of harden. trade?

really a pity, he was basically mark prior 2.0, alot of people were predicting him to be the cy young winner before he went on his injury rampage
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:23 pm
Honestly, I have never liked Harden. As he started getting hurt, I grew to dislike him even more. He will never be a pro pitcher, in my opinion. He is just going to keep getting hurt. If I was the A's, and I could get somebody for him, I would deal him in a minute, part to get a prospect, and part just to get rid of him. I envy the A's farm system. They always have good young prospects coming up. I dont know a whole lot about their young pitchers, but I would quickly trade Harden and put a kid in the fifth spot.

Role Player
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:40 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:57 pm
yup, at this point in time the a's would hafta take any credible offer they get for harden

just hoping that he doesnt have a cy young year elsewhere...that would be a heartbreaker
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:19 pm
slicksteven wrote:yup, at this point in time the a's would hafta take any credible offer they get for harden

just hoping that he doesnt have a cy young year elsewhere...that would be a heartbreaker


Are you an A's fan or a Giants fan? Just wondering....

Anyways, I doubt he will ever have an all-star selection, let alone a Cy Young. It all goes back to his fragileness, in my opinion. He just wont be able to stand it in the pros. I think that Crosby is the exact same way: a very talented young player that wont pan out because of injuries. It is a shame. I actually do like the A's. I hope they do well, and I hope they realize that Harden and Crosby are not the answer.

Role Player
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:40 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:43 pm
im a bay area fan, so i like all teams from the bay

but i live in san jose which is nearer to san fran i believe (im horrible with directions).

and they really do need to get rid of crosby. i always thought that he was vastly overrated...everyone started hyping him up because he had some pop in his rookie year, but he wasnt a good hitter and his b.a. has remained far under .300
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:32 pm
I am a Giants, Niners, and Warriors fan. I dispise the Raiders, but I dont mind the A's. It is kind of wierd. I guess the A's just dont bother me. :dontknow:
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest