The Giants should sign Mark Prior

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:23 pm
He's the perfect risk for our ballclub. Huge risk, huge reward. We're not going anywhere, and if Prior does come back as anything near projected he could be a real solid starter and maybe even be trade fodder for more prospects.

Of course, I'm not his doctor nor do I follow the Cubs very closely so it could be that he's damaged beyond repair.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:28 pm
They should sign him... but only if he accepts a role as a reliever. We need bullpen help and Prior is top of the line, when healthy. I wouldn't start him, for fear of overusing his arm, but I'd love to extend him a one-year deal to be our set-up man... or pitch those games where we gotta pull the starter out in the 4th.

But, some team will bite. Make no mistake, SOMEBODY that desperately needs starting pitching will shell out cash for him. We're looking for a 5th guy in our rotation. Somebody looking for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th guy will get him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:31 pm
32 wrote:They should sign him... but only if he accepts a role as a reliever. We need bullpen help and Prior is top of the line, when healthy. I wouldn't start him, for fear of overusing his arm, but I'd love to extend him a one-year deal to be our set-up man... or pitch those games where we gotta pull the starter out in the 4th.

But, some team will bite. Make no mistake, SOMEBODY that desperately needs starting pitching will shell out cash for him. We're looking for a 5th guy in our rotation. Somebody looking for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th guy will get him.

Good point. Wood may save his career from the bullpen, and Prior should at least try to do the same. This kid had all the makings for a HoFer. It sucks that injuries have all but killed his career at this point.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:03 pm
Part of the reason why he blew up was they absolutely killed him in his innings. If he ever plays again, something I'm not sure of, he would likely be a reliever. I doubt that he has the arm strength to pitch more than two or three innings anymore.

That said, it couldnt hurt signing him, as long as he doesnt demand too much. Someone would shell out some money, though, so I doubt that we could get him.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:34 am
wow...the A's trade Dan Haren to D-Back for 6 prospect...

well....hopefully, they success re-build the team again...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:38 am
Yeah, that is a terrible trade for the A's. You dont trade a mega-ace pitcher for prospects, no matter how good they are, and not get a player for this season. Even if all the prospects turn out good, I still wouldnt like that trade. As for the quality of the prospects, I really follow baseball close, and I had only heard of one of them, the top one, Edgar Gonzalez. The rest are no-names to me. Anyone else heard of them?

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:41 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Yeah, that is a terrible trade for the A's. You dont trade a mega-ace pitcher for prospects, no matter how good they are, and not get a player for this season. Even if all the prospects turn out good, I still wouldnt like that trade. As for the quality of the prospects, I really follow baseball close, and I had only heard of one of them, the top one, Edgar Gonzalez. The rest are no-names to me. Anyone else heard of them?

It could be that Bean doesn't think he's that stud. He was awesome to start the season, but he had a lousy August and an even worse September. In the last two months of the season he went 2-6 and got hit pretty damn hard.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:37 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Yeah, that is a terrible trade for the A's. You dont trade a mega-ace pitcher for prospects, no matter how good they are, and not get a player for this season. Even if all the prospects turn out good, I still wouldnt like that trade. As for the quality of the prospects, I really follow baseball close, and I had only heard of one of them, the top one, Edgar Gonzalez. The rest are no-names to me. Anyone else heard of them?

It could be that Bean doesn't think he's that stud. He was awesome to start the season, but he had a lousy August and an even worse September. In the last two months of the season he went 2-6 and got hit pretty damn hard.

He is as big of a stud as the A's have had since the BIG 3 left. I have lots of friends who are A's fans, and I guarantee you that they wont like this, at all. You just dont want to trade a proven player for only prospects. That is why the Giants want a good player in return for Lowry, in addition to some good prospects.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:37 am

I had heard of Dana Eveland. He started with the Brewers. I think he started a game against the Giants in 2006. He is supposedly a middle of the rotation type guy. LHP with good control, but nothing fancy
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:51 am
sleandres wrote:

I had heard of Dana Eveland. He started with the Brewers. I think he started a game against the Giants in 2006. He is supposedly a middle of the rotation type guy. LHP with good control, but nothing fancy

But, see, those are the kinds of prospects that kill a team. He really isnt a great prospect, and if you were to trade Haren for prospects, which you shouldnt do in the first place, they should get some name prospects, which, other than Gonzalez, none of them are. I would have asked for Quentin, Chris Young, those types of players. You could have gotten them, too.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:55 pm
It is strange, with all of Arizona's well-known prospects, that we don't really recognize anyone in this deal. Perhaps Beane doesn't want them because they're closer to arbitration that he wants. Perhaps he doesn't see Haren as an ace, especially after a lackluster August and September. Perhaps, like in the deal when he got Haren, he sees something that others didn't and is getting the guys he wants.

Beane has probably been the best GM in baseball in the past decade. I'm willing to see what happens before writing him off. I'm also thinking that Haren really isn't as good as his first half numbers of 2007 showed.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:51 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
sleandres wrote:

But, see, those are the kinds of prospects that kill a team. He really isnt a great prospect, and if you were to trade Haren for prospects, which you shouldnt do in the first place, they should get some name prospects, which, other than Gonzalez, none of them are. I would have asked for Quentin, Chris Young, those types of players. You could have gotten them, too.

True. I thought I had heard that Connor Jackson was going in the trade with Edgar Gonzalez...seems that might have been a better trade. But part of me agrees with StuckInSoCal...Beane always seems to have a better idea of whats going on than I do :wink: I guess only time will tell
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:16 pm
If Connor Jackson would have been in the trade, I would have completely changed my view on it. He wasnt in it, though. He is the type of prospect that not only helps your team in the future, but also this coming year. Similar to Lincecum and Cain to the Giants.

Just for reference, this was the trade:

Arizona gets:
RHP Dan Haren
RHP Connor Robertson

Oakland gets:
LHP Brett Anderson
LHP Dana Eveland
LHP Greg Smith
INF Chris Carter
OF Aaron Cunningham
OF Carlos Gonzalez

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:38 pm
apparently gonzalez should be a good one, and a few of those pitchers arent to shabby either.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:34 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3168825

-
Next

Return to Sports Board