Chris Kaman's incredible surprising rise

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:04 am
I am totally surprised with Kaman's rise this season. When Brand went down for pretty much the season I thought the Clips had no chance of winning many games at all and thought they could seriously threaten the least win for a season mark. Kaman has risen up and been performing at a near superstar level and has kept it up since the start of the season.

He is averaging 18.6pts, 14.0rebs, 2.1 asts, 2.9blks with percentages of 49FG% and 78FT%. Those are elite among nba bigmen.

Not only will Kaman likely get MIP this season but I think it would be a travesty for him not to get picked as an allstar.


I can't recall the last time a big in the nba rose up like this!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:16 am
There are several factors to consider. First, Brand is out, so Kaman is all the inside game the Clips have. Second, they do not have a backcourt worth talking about, so more power to their inside guys.

That leaves us with a team composed of Kaman, Maggette and... very little else. Still, I'm impressed with his consistency. I was expecting some big numbers coming from Kaman, considering the Clippers roster and Brand's absence, but not game after game.

Right now, as you say, he's gotta be considered for the all star game, and he's also a lock for the MIP.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:33 am
The Clips having an awful roster makes what Kaman is doing even better. I didn't see him having the skills to be able to be the offensive focal point of a team, having opposing defenses focus on him quite a bit. He has done amazingly and I don't know what his contract situation is but right now he is worth 15 million
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:39 am
migya wrote:The Clips having an awful roster makes what Kaman is doing even better. I didn't see him having the skills to be able to be the offensive focal point of a team, having opposing defenses focus on him quite a bit. He has done amazingly and I don't know what his contract situation is but right now he is worth 15 million


Eh... let's wait til Brand comes back. I'm pretty sure his numbers will go down to 16 and 10 (which are pretty good, but certainly not worth 15 million).
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:45 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:The Clips having an awful roster makes what Kaman is doing even better. I didn't see him having the skills to be able to be the offensive focal point of a team, having opposing defenses focus on him quite a bit. He has done amazingly and I don't know what his contract situation is but right now he is worth 15 million


Eh... let's wait til Brand comes back. I'm pretty sure his numbers will go down to 16 and 10 (which are pretty good, but certainly not worth 15 million).



16 and 10 is much more than he's done every other year of his career. You think Biedrins would have the numbers on that Clipper team? Okafor, Gasol and Al Jefferson are stars who probably wouldn't do what Kaman is doing on that Clipper team
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:53 am
migya wrote:16 and 10 is much more than he's done every other year of his career. You think Biedrins would have the numbers on that Clipper team? Okafor, Gasol and Al Jefferson are stars who probably wouldn't do what Kaman is doing on that Clipper team


Beans on that Clips team?. Something like 12 and 10 (with Brand) and 14 and 12 (without him). Certainly worse than Kaman's. That's why I said in Pest's thread about Beans that Kaman is one of the centers I'd pick above him.

As for the others... I think Gasol would score more than Kaman is doing, but with less boards. Ditto for Jeffeson. As for Okafor, he'd probably do less in both categories. I'm just pretty disappointed by Okafor's lack of offensive game. I thought he'd be much more of a factor at this point in his career. He's just a very good player, but you can't realy on him to carry a team.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:13 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:16 and 10 is much more than he's done every other year of his career. You think Biedrins would have the numbers on that Clipper team? Okafor, Gasol and Al Jefferson are stars who probably wouldn't do what Kaman is doing on that Clipper team


Beans on that Clips team?. Something like 12 and 10 (with Brand) and 14 and 12 (without him). Certainly worse than Kaman's. That's why I said in Pest's thread about Beans that Kaman is one of the centers I'd pick above him.

As for the others... I think Gasol would score more than Kaman is doing, but with less boards. Ditto for Jeffeson. As for Okafor, he'd probably do less in both categories. I'm just pretty disappointed by Okafor's lack of offensive game. I thought he'd be much more of a factor at this point in his career. He's just a very good player, but you can't realy on him to carry a team.



Gasol never scored or did much when the Grizz didn't have alot of talent. You look at the last three seasons and Gasol has done more than he did before, in his earlier years. I don't think he'd be so good with all the defensive attention but he has the ability to be though. Kaman has just been a huge surprise as to his level of performance on a consistent basis
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:46 am
I'll give him props for picking up the slack with Brand out. He sure has stepped up big. Just wait until Brand comes back though, then we'll see how much he's changed. But it's stupid how he's not even in like the top 5 in voting for centers in the West for the all-star game.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:15 am
That's it as well, Kaman should be ahead of Camby (team wins will make it the other way around ofcourse) and behind Yao and Amare
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:46 am
migya wrote:That's it as well, Kaman should be ahead of Camby (team wins will make it the other way around ofcourse) and behind Yao and Amare


I wouldn't put him above Camby, tho. Camby's having a tremendous season, and having a big impact on the game for his team. Maybe even bigger than Kaman. Kaman scores more than him, but Camby is better at anything else.

I'm not so sure about Yao, tho. He has the numbers, but he's not looking dominant at all. Of course, he's gonna start in the ASG, but I don't think he's been the best center in the west.

Now that I think of it, it's ironic. So much time saying there are not good centers anymore, and we have a lot of good centers in the west. Amare, Camby, Yao, Kaman, Tyson Chandler, Brad Miller, Beans, Bynum... Not a really big star like Shaq was, but a pretty decent bunch of centers.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:24 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:That's it as well, Kaman should be ahead of Camby (team wins will make it the other way around ofcourse) and behind Yao and Amare


I wouldn't put him above Camby, tho. Camby's having a tremendous season, and having a big impact on the game for his team. Maybe even bigger than Kaman. Kaman scores more than him, but Camby is better at anything else.



Kaman has outdone Camby, plain and simple. No player compares to Camby's ability to rack up stats in rebounding, blocks and steals at the same tim but Kaman is as close as it gets, nearly matching him in those categories, being very close. When you look at the much higher scoring and better percentages, Kaman clearly wins and that makes him look superstar like, being better than Camby
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:56 am
Kaman has a better inside scoring game than Camby (Camby just launches perimeter J's). However, Camby has produced consistent rebounding and blocking figures that rank up there among the league's best. So right now, Camby ranks higher.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:51 pm
JayPat wrote:Kaman has a better inside scoring game than Camby (Camby just launches perimeter J's). However, Camby has produced consistent rebounding and blocking figures that rank up there among the league's best. So right now, Camby ranks higher.



Did you read my post above yours? Kaman is right there with Camby in rebounding and blocks
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:58 pm
migya wrote:
JayPat wrote:Kaman has a better inside scoring game than Camby (Camby just launches perimeter J's). However, Camby has produced consistent rebounding and blocking figures that rank up there among the league's best. So right now, Camby ranks higher.



Did you read my post above yours? Kaman is right there with Camby in rebounding and blocks


I did, my point is that Camby has been stellar in those categories THROUGHOUT his entire career and Kaman is just flashing now. So I wouldn't say that Kaman has outdone Camby, especially considering Camby is outproducing Kaman in every single category except scoring and %'s (in less minutes).
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:04 am
JayPat wrote:
migya wrote:
JayPat wrote:Kaman has a better inside scoring game than Camby (Camby just launches perimeter J's). However, Camby has produced consistent rebounding and blocking figures that rank up there among the league's best. So right now, Camby ranks higher.



Did you read my post above yours? Kaman is right there with Camby in rebounding and blocks


I did, my point is that Camby has been stellar in those categories THROUGHOUT his entire career and Kaman is just flashing now. So I wouldn't say that Kaman has outdone Camby, especially considering Camby is outproducing Kaman in every single category except scoring and %'s (in less minutes).



This comparison was for this season only :wink:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
Next

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests