TV Shows

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:47 am
Game of Thrones is back and it's Season 3. Looking good and story is progressing.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 am
Game of Thrones is the most anticipated TV show...and not just for me, but for the most people it seems. Great show.

I also watch Arrow, Justified, Blue Bloods, Vikings...and I got back to Spartacus, cause I watched 1st season long ago, and I now started watching the prequel.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 pm
Guybrush wrote:Game of Thrones is the most anticipated TV show...and not just for me, but for the most people it seems. Great show.

I also watch Arrow, Justified, Blue Bloods, Vikings...and I got back to Spartacus, cause I watched 1st season long ago, and I now started watching the prequel.

Walking Dead is routinely shattering ratings records. I'd say that is the most anticipated, but I'm enjoying this season of GoT more than last, probably because there has been a lot less of the Targaryen chick - I hate her, bad actress, annoying character, etc... I'm listening to the first audiobook of the series right now - does anyone know how well the books follow the show and what the pacing is comparatively (ie does 1 book = 1 season?)?

I haven't seen Arrow, I've tried to get caught up on it on Hulu, but they only have the 4 most recent episode - even though I pay for Hulu Plus. Hulu+ sucks BTW, the only reason why I'm still paying for it is because I'm mooching of the year subscription I got my mom for X-Mas.

I tried getting into Spartacus, but I couldn't get past the pilot because it was so bad. Everyone says it gets a lot better, but that 1st episode was awful.

Not a big fan of Justified, I watched most of the 1st season, but once I figured out that it wasn't so much of a arching plot, rather it's kind of each episode is its own stand-alone story, I kind of lost interest.

Vikings is pretty good. I've been really surprised by the production quality.

I can't tell cop dramas apart, they all feel too similar outside the occasional "The Shield" or "The Wire". I did catch part of an episode of Southland the other night and that looked pretty good. Blue Bloods any good?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:51 am
I read on a lot of places that GoT is the best rated and most watched TV show. But, who knows, nothing was official I suppose.
I like Daenerys, and that part of the story is the most interesting to me, cause I really like Jorah, and now Barristan is there as well. I only disliked Dothrakis, and hated that part in the first season. If you watched the 4th episode now, you might have changed your mind as well. :)
I think that 3rd season is still in book 1, or maybe it's book 2. Not sure, but I think I read that first two seasons were based on book 1.

Arrow is not breathtaking, like GoT, but it's quite interesting show. Acting is not that great IMO, I don't wanna use some more harsh word, but story was a pleasant surprise to me. It does have some boring parts, but still has enough of a story to keep you waiting eagerly for the next episode. And it's a nice touch that shifting from present to Oliver's days on the island.

I'm still watching the 1st season of Justified, and I had the same worries as you do, that it doesn't have a main plot. But, somehow it's still interesting to me, maybe it's the rednecks, I don't know, but I got bored of New York and east coast CSI type of shows, even Las Vegas, it's all the same, dress codes, talk...boring. And here it seems that the main arch is connection between all of the people from Harlan, and they are probably introducing all of them in the 1st season. They are all connected somehow, and it looks it could be used like a good build up...Ava's killing of her husband, and then other people that were influenced by that...and also the mob from Miami that is looking for Raylan. A lot of material...you need to watch all episodes to know what is going on.

Yeah, me too. I was expecting more of a documentary when it comes to Vikings, even though I knew it's a TV show...I guess History Channel part got me to think it would be more based on facts, and less on story telling.

Blue Bloods is the show that I watch with my wife and little sister, and it's fine for that. I don't know if I could watch it by myself, but watching a family of cops, and their every day activities are much more fun when you watch it with your family as well, I guess. Tom Selek is a plus, I like that guy, good actor, somehow imposing, and seeing Donnie Wahlberg is interesting, cause I remember him from the New Kids on the Block when I was a kid, and Mark looks a lot like him.
It's definitely not the type of show like the Wire, but I'm still waiting for story to develop a bit more. Blue Templars things might be interesting, and connection to one family member that died (not a spoiler, you don't see him in a show, it's known from the start).
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:18 am
Ratings is all about availability, so that's why you see crap network shows like CSI, Big Bang, NCIS, America's Got Talent, Revolution, etc... reigning supreme... they are on the free, "big" networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW *kinda*). Then you have cable (or basic cable) which historically has never been able to compete with the networks until Walking Dead (Mad Men, The Shield, Breaking Bad are notable here also, plus TNT bullshit). Walking Dead has broken season premier records two years in a row and completely owned the fall ratings - it destroyed next highest viewership by the millions, and that includes the networks. It's basically the only cable show that has bested the big boys.

GoT is premium cable, far less people have HBO than AMC. It is however the most pirated show in history ;) and that might go a ways to supporting its popularity. Unfortunately HBO can't count torrent/usenet downloads as apart of their viewership/ratings. What HBO can count is the ridiculous amount of cash they are making by being a premium channel, while not worrying about sponsorship, but having to worry much more when it comes to piracy. It's funny that the creator of GoT came out and said he had no problems with people pirating his show, that it only contributes to the popularity and those people aren't the people that would pay for HBO anyways.

I apologize if anything above comes off patronizing by stating the obvious, that's not my intent. A lot of people don't take stuff like that into consideration - that's why the production value in these shows is even more impressive and it explains why cable is a gamble (becoming less so these days).
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:47 pm
Sci/Fi fans, what do you think of Defiance?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:14 am
I am into Falling Skies and it is at Season 3 and two thirds of the way through. Not a greta show, but a pretty good one. A friend told me about Revolution and I will check that out maybe tomorrow night.

Any other shows that are good currently?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 am
I watched The Revolution, and even though it has some flaws I liked it. It always keeps you thinking what will happen next, and in quite a few episodes I had a feeling like "Man, is this the end of the first season? How could it be, there are 10 more episodes left?!" because of the things that happen. It's always unpredictable...ok, some thing are cliched, but, you have that in every show. And if you are looking it to be perfectly realistic, you can be disappointed, but if you watch it with an open mind, and don't think too much about thing like that, that really aren't that important, you will enjoy the show.

Anything more to say about Falling Skies? I was thinking about watching it, but still haven't started.

And if you are into SF, you can check out Defiance. That's more SF than The Revolution, but it's quite fun.

And when you are from Serbia, you especially like when this guy shows up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Stewart_%28actor%29

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101226/

Because of that TV show, he got to this. :D ::lol:

http://www.slaughternickmovie.com/

It was a very popular show during the 90's here, during some bad period, and people really loved the character. And one day there was a graffiti on the wall saying "Nick Slaughter for president." :)

Sorry for this digression, I thought it was nice bit of unneeded internet lore. ::lol:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:26 am
Falling Skies is a show that is about an alien invasion. It follows a group of people who call their group the 2nd Massachusetts, the state where they are located. They do not know if any other humans on Earth have survived, but they try to stay alive while hiding from the aliens, who have six legs. They eventually settle in a town and are able to well guard it from the alien attacks which happen frequently. They actually learn about the aliens enough that they begin to attack them and cause damage.

It starts off a bit boring, but if you get into it it is a pretty good show, though nothing special.

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:03 pm
Breaking Bad the final series August 11th/12th kicks off me thinks... BOOM!!!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:35 am
August 11th is what I've read. Great last season to perhaps the greatest show I've seen.

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:41 am
migya wrote:August 11th is what I've read. Great last season to perhaps the greatest show I've seen.

Yeah that was the best ever season ending cliffhanger!!!

Hank getting his thinking man on 8)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 pm
Falling Skies is over for another season, the third one. I'm into this series and it is getting interesting with the saviour aliens now entering the story. Could be a very interesting fourth season next year.

Also seen the first two episodes of revolution and it so far is slow, but similar to Falling Skies in that regard.

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:02 am
OMG How good was Breaking Bad???

Spoiler!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:32 pm
migya wrote:Falling Skies is over for another season, the third one. I'm into this series and it is getting interesting with the saviour aliens now entering the story. Could be a very interesting fourth season next year.

Also seen the first two episodes of revolution and it so far is slow, but similar to Falling Skies in that regard.

I'm a fan of Falling Skies. The 1st season was kind of lame and slow, the 2nd was much better, but the 3rd was really good. I'm looking forward to next season, but only 10 episodes kind of sucks.

Revolution is ok, but I'm just generally not a fan of any series from the "big" networks. They feel like they almost have lower budgets and less production quality. Maybe it's because NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX aren't willing to take big risks, but the writing and premises seems uninspired and lacking originality. If they air one more cop related show, I will lose my god damn mind!

Another sci-fi show, Defiance, I had a lot of hopes for, but it sucks. I was really hoping that the Sci-Fi channel would be able to rekindle a fraction of the greatness of Battlestar, but Defiance is just a cookie-cutter, episodic piece of trash, cut from the same cloth as a Law and Order or any of the Star Treks.

Side note - If you haven't seen Battlestar Gallactica, then you need to stop what you are doing and watch it right now. Do not be fooled by the corny name or the fact that it was a Sci-Fi channel original.

PAWNO wrote:OMG How good was Breaking Bad???

Spoiler!

BB just continues to be one of the best shows in the history of television. The writing, direction, and cinematography are just in a different league. It really is the most artistic show with those awesome scenes that tell you so much without a line of dialog.

I'm pretty sure I know how the series will end and I'm going to throw it in a spoiler tag below just so I can toss out the "I told you so" if it is realized...

Spoiler!

I'm kind of curious how you Aussies are watching the show. I know that American TV is broadcast all over the world, but I know that you guys suffer from a lot of censorship when it comes to drugs in media. Is the show aired there? Or do you have to watch it online or pirate it?
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum