Page 4 of 4

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:13 am
by xbay
Okay fellas, I need your help. Computer help, that is.

Okay, so every time I use the internet, I get pop ups saying I have a virus and need a virus scan. Well, thing is... those messages are not coming from my security center. Mine is McAfee. But those pop ups are coming from various virus protection places. Thing is, those look fake. But they keep coming back. Now, I've tried scanning my computer at least twice a day this past week, but the pop ups still keep coming.

Also, I've been getting messages of trojans being detected and deleted by McAfee. And what I've noticed is that there are times where the same file is detected about 4 times. I trace the source where it is at, and it is no where to be found. Also, I've noticed that every trojan that is detected comes from the same folder. I've looked numerous times in that folder, and I've not found the detected trojan once.

Like I said, I've virus scanned, I've cleaned out unused files, deleted cookies, and done whatever I can think of. Anyone of you have any say to this? Anyone know what may be up?

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:32 am
by migya
xbay wrote:Okay fellas, I need your help. Computer help, that is.

Okay, so every time I use the internet, I get pop ups saying I have a virus and need a virus scan. Well, thing is... those messages are not coming from my security center. Mine is McAfee. But those pop ups are coming from various virus protection places. Thing is, those look fake. But they keep coming back. Now, I've tried scanning my computer at least twice a day this past week, but the pop ups still keep coming.

Also, I've been getting messages of trojans being detected and deleted by McAfee. And what I've noticed is that there are times where the same file is detected about 4 times. I trace the source where it is at, and it is no where to be found. Also, I've noticed that every trojan that is detected comes from the same folder. I've looked numerous times in that folder, and I've not found the detected trojan once.

Like I said, I've virus scanned, I've cleaned out unused files, deleted cookies, and done whatever I can think of. Anyone of you have any say to this? Anyone know what may be up?



I had a similar problem about a year ago and TMC, who knows alot about computers, helped me out. He pointed me to the following site:

http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/malwarebellagreementcom-malware-bell-agreement-removal-instructions/spyware-removal

Check it out and see if this is it

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:57 am
by TMC
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:Okay fellas, I need your help. Computer help, that is.

Okay, so every time I use the internet, I get pop ups saying I have a virus and need a virus scan. Well, thing is... those messages are not coming from my security center. Mine is McAfee. But those pop ups are coming from various virus protection places. Thing is, those look fake. But they keep coming back. Now, I've tried scanning my computer at least twice a day this past week, but the pop ups still keep coming.

Also, I've been getting messages of trojans being detected and deleted by McAfee. And what I've noticed is that there are times where the same file is detected about 4 times. I trace the source where it is at, and it is no where to be found. Also, I've noticed that every trojan that is detected comes from the same folder. I've looked numerous times in that folder, and I've not found the detected trojan once.

Like I said, I've virus scanned, I've cleaned out unused files, deleted cookies, and done whatever I can think of. Anyone of you have any say to this? Anyone know what may be up?



I had a similar problem about a year ago and TMC, who knows alot about computers, helped me out. He pointed me to the following site:

http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/malwarebellagreementcom-malware-bell-agreement-removal-instructions/spyware-removal

Check it out and see if this is it


Yep, sounds a lot like malware. The same thing happened to me three months ago, and I got rid of it by using spyware removal tools (to, at least, identify which files were creating the problem) and restoring the system to a previous, non-infected date.

If you need any help, just let me know, bro.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:34 pm
by xbay
Okay, so I downloaded the spyhunter from the website, and I didn't know you had to register and purchase the full version to remove whatever it finds. I don't want to purchase anything.

But I did trace some of the malware through the registry and deleted it. Things are getting better than before, but the pop ups still come up. Not as bad as before, though. But they're there still nevertheless. What else do you advise for this?

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:05 pm
by migya
xbay wrote:Okay, so I downloaded the spyhunter from the website, and I didn't know you had to register and purchase the full version to remove whatever it finds. I don't want to purchase anything.

But I did trace some of the malware through the registry and deleted it. Things are getting better than before, but the pop ups still come up. Not as bad as before, though. But they're there still nevertheless. What else do you advise for this?



I had downloaded Spy Hunter3, version: 1.0.13.0. I didn't purchase nothing, must have been a free version, which doesn't have all the features and support.

Maybe TMC can elaborate more on what to do. If it's still a problem, I'll try to do some extensive searching and see what I come up with, but definately try to scan with Spy Hunter and maybe it will get rid of the whole problem. Spy Hunter usually picks up more problems than other AntiSpyware programs so it is a good one as far as I know. You can always go to Download.com and look for other freeware antispyware programs or use BearShare and/or Torrent sites like http://btjunkie.org/ and search for full version AntiSpyware programs, as they should definately fix the problem

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:59 pm
by TMC
Gotta leave for work, but I'll take a look at it later today, XBay.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:12 pm
by TMC
Ok, I'm back. So time to deal with this problem.

You know, XBay, problem here (I'm talking from experience, as I had to erase that same program before) is detecting the files that prompt those pop ups to appear. You don't need to register to erase those files, tho. Just locate them, restore the system to a previous saved point (prior to the "infection") and erase them yourself.

To detect them, I used the following program:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

The trial version only lets you locate those files, but with the method I used, it's more than enough.

Let me know if it doesn't work.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:26 pm
by xbay
How do you restore system to it's "prior to infection" point?

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:54 pm
by TMC
xbay wrote:How do you restore system to it's "prior to infection" point?


Check this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B306084&x=24&y=21

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:56 pm
by xbay
Okay, so I downloaded the malwarebytes thing you showed me. The first time, I got a message in the middle of my scan saying the computer needed to shut down. So basically, it crashed. Second time, my scan got interrupted again... so it crashed again.

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:09 pm
by xbay
Okay, so I tried it again today and I ended up aborting the scan early after it detected 22 infections. Then, I removed all of the infections and rebooted my laptop. I'm re-scanning again just to see if I missed anything.

Anyways, do I have to restore my system back to a previous saved point that was non-infected? or can I leave it as is?

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 pm
by TMC
xbay wrote:Anyways, do I have to restore my system back to a previous saved point that was non-infected? or can I leave it as is?


It's better to restore it, just in case. The trial version doesn't erase all the infected files, so the right course would be to restore the system to a previous saved point and, after that, erase those files yourself.

That's how I did it, at least, and I haven't had a problem since then.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:24 pm
by xbay
It doesn't erase all the files? Really? Well, my laptop keeps crashing to a blue screen. So I'm guessing there's stuff still on my comp. I've been trying to scan it again, but it keeps going to the blue screen.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:22 am
by TMC
xbay wrote:It doesn't erase all the files? Really? Well, my laptop keeps crashing to a blue screen. So I'm guessing there's stuff still on my comp. I've been trying to scan it again, but it keeps going to the blue screen.


Ugh, that looks bad. Try using it in safe mode and see if it skips the blue screen.

If you don't know how to start it in safe mode, check this:

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:35 pm
by xbay
Yeah, turns out I have the blue screen of death. I needa get it checked.