State of the Board

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:30 pm
E-Man wrote:so 2 guys walk into a bar.... :bday:

go on....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:51 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:In the same way we should try to accommodate everyone and not alienate minorities, everyone needs to be aware that no two people have the same personality. On a board like this there are going to be people that you get along with personality wise and people you don't. There are going to people with different senses of humor (senses of humor? that sounds wrong, sense of humors? sounds wrong too...oh well), and people are going to find different things funny. I find that if someone says something that mildly offends you, just let it go, ignore them and don't partake in their joking. If there are people who do something that offends you severely then just be polite about it and ask them to tone it down. I did this once on this board, Speak posted a gif of a guy shooting himself in the head. I just asked him nicely to take it down. It's a personal issue, my uncle committed suicide by shooting himself in the head and I didn't want to re-live it over and over every time I clicked on the thread.

We can't always know people's backgrounds, what they look like, where they came from so instead of becoming PC robots and trying to please everyone, just realize that people are different and have different upbringings and let some of this stuff go. Not everything needs to be a personal attack.

I experience plenty of sexism on this board and others, most of the time I let it go, it's a generalization it doesn't mean that every person is like that and I know (or at least I'm pretty damn sure) that the person saying it (usually Pawno :) ) doesn't really think that way about women. I also know that I do not fill that stereotype so it really doesn't affect me. Occasionally someone will say something that will truly offend me and I'll usually respond, it happens. However it's important to be able to distinguish between someone making a trivial sexist joke and someone actually making a statement.

And this post, ladies and gentlemen, perfectly sums up what this place has to be. An absolutely brilliant depiction of an interacting community.

No matter what we do, no matter what kind of rules we may impose, situations like those are going to happen. It's our duty to not get riled up about something we can't control. Just realize that when there are different people partaking into several topics, there will be differences, and that there's no reason to make it personal.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:46 pm
migya wrote:Make him fuk her in the arse (he probably does already :mrgreen: ). Bich probably deserved a smacking, let's be honest, a slammable bich like that gets sick of the usual suk and fuk and wants to venture into having it rough. Met too many biches like that. Say it like it is :mrgreen:

So this is acceptable and can't be controlled :?: :oops:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:58 pm
O.G. Broe wrote:
migya wrote:Make him fuk her in the arse (he probably does already :mrgreen: ). Bich probably deserved a smacking, let's be honest, a slammable bich like that gets sick of the usual suk and fuk and wants to venture into having it rough. Met too many biches like that. Say it like it is :mrgreen:

I don't really get why this isn't a joke? I mean that's how I read it. Am I wrong?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:24 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

go on....

Were there chicks, too?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:28 pm
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

go on....

Were there chicks, too?

excuse me xbay... but ur not telling the joke.... go on e-man :mrgreen:

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 pm
Captain_Jack, Well then how come it wasn't a joke when you were offended by the gun clip, What about people that have Women relatives that have been abused or beat down by a man :?: Still laughing... By the way it wasn't a joke, migya has defended his stance on Man on Women violence just like he defended the use of the N Word :!: What a great guy.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:43 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

go on....

Were there chicks, too?

Well EXCUSSSE ME. I thought I was just asking a question. Sheesh. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:45 pm
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

go on....

Were there chicks, too?

I hope ur right though... that there were chicks there... for the sake of those 2 guys
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:47 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

go on....

Were there chicks, too?

I hope ur right though... that there were chicks there... for the sake of those 2 guys

Well, I wouldn't really care since I don't know the guys. Unless like, one of those two guys were one of us that I know, because then we'd have a story. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:06 pm
The Coooach wrote:Wow, where do I start. I didn't know about the Rhianna thread. all i can say is Wow, I think that is really bad. I guess being a racial minority I can see wher some things really hurt. I guess if you not a minority of any group you might think these are too PC. But try walking in the shoes of a black, woman , gay, etc and see how ift feels to be dumped on or have people like you feel dumped on.

I'd like to know if anyone else on here is black. I'd like to know their stance on talking about touchy subjects like this.

Reggie (Coach), I'm not going to go on about this, but from past experiences on here, you have come across as a very sensitive person. This I first witnessed in the first Redistro of Legends thread, where about three of us pointed out your picking of players and you took it personally, though it was just discussion on our teams. I respect you opinions on here, as you seem like a decent man, most important thing of all

The Coooach wrote:When I first strated here I thought is was a friendly site that wanted fan participation. I found it to be a boys club that only wanted people that fit a certain mode. I became very disapoointed and i don't post as regular as I use to. I am actually going to agree with 32 on one point: I think the moderators should be more forceful to ensure that everyone feel welcome here or else you are just going to have young, white, heterosexual males as part of this forum. People like me (black and proud) and other minorities are going to stay away. Maybe there is a reason why Capt. Jack is the only woman in the forum.

I admit, the thing I liked most about this forum was the "boys club" atmosphere. I liked it very much. From the cheerleaders thread (probably the most popular ever), to going on about chiks, it was male bonding to the best.

Things have got to be defined, especially the forum as an entity, because there doesn't seem to be total agreement of what is alright or not. Maybe some of the new members would find it a bit uncomfortable if the cheerleaders thread got going again, whereas before it not only was alright, it was in high demand

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:56 pm
Hey...not fair....

u guys have good show but didn't let me know..... :banghead:

What oversea fans and what local fans....

Fans is a fans....as long u have heart to W's...u are welcome in this forum...

hey, did i miss the exciting part yet!!!

:mrgreen:

:happy1:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:06 pm
War Years wrote:First, I'll say I've enjoyed interacting with Migya on this board. I've always found the conversation informative and the tone civil.

Migya is quite unapologetic. His rationale's is that he draws a line at personal attacks. Under normal circumstances, I think he always has.

Of course someone can for example, trash on an entire race of people and say " hey nothing personal", but the members of that race DO take it personally. And even some of us who aren't of that race, take it personally.

Migya is fond of characterizing those who would be ofended by any of his posts as "insecure". Migya, when I read that post, in my mind, the insecurity of the guy who wrote it is 100 times the person who might be offended.

Migya, I'm sad you are taking a hard line on this. It's quite apparent to me, your sport is Basketball, and I look forward to discussing our team with you in the future.

But there is a matter of context here. I didn't know that the Rhianna thread existed. I keep to the Basketball threads, I'm not that curious about the off topic threads. Now I don't regret that.
If there is a thread on this board for men or women to lament ovef abuse at the hands of the opposite sex, that might be interesting, Go ahead, get creative, get mean. I might enjoy it, particularly if it's done in a clever way. I find the interplay of sexes fascinating. But, this kind of cretin, lumberjack, drunken sailor **** doesn't get it for me.

If some posters on this board now realize that there is some unsavory stuff going on on other threads here and now will be intrigued to check out the off topic posts in the future. I have no problem, I won't, but the truth is, I don't have to go there if I don't want to. But I sure as hell don't want it creeping out into basketball topics.

I'm not PC, I could see something I might have written being reported. I guess I'd be disappointed, but then people are entitled to their opinion. If I read what Migya posted in any basketball thread. I would have kind of a sick feeling, like I wouldn't be proud to be affiliated with this board. The fact that it's off topic does lessen that feeling somewhat.

I guess it can be a thin line if it's PC or it's people owning up to their own ****. Hopefully if we have a dialogue, we can give and take about it. It's everyone's personal choice, if they think the accomodation becomes too great, they can leave. I would hope for now, that no one does.

Reason why I didn't apologise to EVERYONE on this topic is because I shouldn't have to, as not EVERYONE should be at all offended. I apologised to EVERYONE in two other situations over a year ago and not EVERYONE was offended, so I felt wrong in doing that, for that reason only, yet still did it for the ones that were offended. This time, I feel as if those that are offended are not seeing it for what it was. Instead of starting another thread labelled something like "Not all women that get hit by a man are innocent or didn't bring instigate it", as to look at that topic from a different angle, I instead talked about that in that thread, as it pertained to that relevant subject.

I feel as the youth of today, most of society of today actually, are somewhat brainwashed and lead to believe that there are cetain things you "shouldn't do" no matter what, like, in the recent situation, a man hitting a woman. I think it is upmost ignorant to think that anything is absolute, as only VERY FEW things are absolute. I expanded on the subject by pointing out how a woman might instigate the situation and incite the physical action by the man, such as cheating on him, stealing from him, spreading lies about him and hitting him first (Really something how a woman hitting a man is deemed alright by so many in society, at least not anywhere near as bad as a man hitting a woman). I included humurous statement as my first post, meaning it as a joke (though really I did meet chiks that were somewhat rough when I used to party alot over ten years ago :| ) and after someone got uptight about it somewhat (think it was Crackerz), I said it was just a joke and then started the discussion on the topic from a broaded perspective. That was all it was, not advocating beating of women or anyone else, it was a discussion of what a situatuon could be, as not all are the same. You go ahead and just smack someone for nothing or because they did something by accident, that is totally different and you should get the consequences.

I am responding to some members individually as they are writing to me, otherwise I wouldn't, as this topic has been dropped. Just want to talk with them specifically. This topic is best dropped here and continued (for anyone that wants to) in the relevant thread (Rhiana thread) in the offtopic forum

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:16 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
O.G. Broe wrote:

I don't really get why this isn't a joke? I mean that's how I read it. Am I wrong?

No you're not but because a few people do find it offensive, we all have to you see.

Best if there was a forum or just a thread for jokes and sarcastic talk, it might be entertaining for some here

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:32 pm
TMC wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:In the same way we should try to accommodate everyone and not alienate minorities, everyone needs to be aware that no two people have the same personality. On a board like this there are going to be people that you get along with personality wise and people you don't. There are going to people with different senses of humor (senses of humor? that sounds wrong, sense of humors? sounds wrong too...oh well), and people are going to find different things funny. I find that if someone says something that mildly offends you, just let it go, ignore them and don't partake in their joking. If there are people who do something that offends you severely then just be polite about it and ask them to tone it down. I did this once on this board, Speak posted a gif of a guy shooting himself in the head. I just asked him nicely to take it down. It's a personal issue, my uncle committed suicide by shooting himself in the head and I didn't want to re-live it over and over every time I clicked on the thread.

We can't always know people's backgrounds, what they look like, where they came from so instead of becoming PC robots and trying to please everyone, just realize that people are different and have different upbringings and let some of this stuff go. Not everything needs to be a personal attack.

I experience plenty of sexism on this board and others, most of the time I let it go, it's a generalization it doesn't mean that every person is like that and I know (or at least I'm pretty damn sure) that the person saying it (usually Pawno :) ) doesn't really think that way about women. I also know that I do not fill that stereotype so it really doesn't affect me. Occasionally someone will say something that will truly offend me and I'll usually respond, it happens. However it's important to be able to distinguish between someone making a trivial sexist joke and someone actually making a statement.

And this post, ladies and gentlemen, perfectly sums up what this place has to be. An absolutely brilliant depiction of an interacting community.

No matter what we do, no matter what kind of rules we may impose, situations like those are going to happen. It's our duty to not get riled up about something we can't control. Just realize that when there are different people partaking into several topics, there will be differences, and that there's no reason to make it personal.

which is true, i like what you said, and it takes something big to get me all rowdy up. The point is, Migya's SPECIFIC mention of Rihanna and what Chris Brown should do to her is just ridiculously offensive. I think if its stated in a more broad motion or a non-specific context, then that is different. But when you target someone specific that just was a victim of a domestic violence act, i just don't get it how this is acceptable.

when i wrote on the rihanna thread, i didn't want it to be some widespread thing. i didnt rat him out or anything, which u mods know. I haven't talk behind his back either to anyone through PM, I've kept it in house per say. I enjoy migya as a member on this board. don't want him out, or no one out. I'm with O.G. Broe.... that post is bad.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum