State of the Board

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:58 am
LOL Thanks Pawno.

This site is free and will always be free. I appreciate people willing to donate but I wouldn't accept it.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:13 am
ok, I dont want to pile on here or revive something that may be dying down but as I have been away from the board for a few days dealing with some personal issues, I feel the need to chime in... especially considering the mods have been "called out".

32, I am greately dissapointed in you for feeling the need to trash us on your way out. I, and a lot of posters here, respect your knowledge and we reasoned opinions on the Warriors and the game of basketball, but your behavior in this regard is much like a child throwing a tantrum for not getting their way.

There has been a growing trend lately of members PM'ing the mods asking for other members to be banned. We do not LIKE to ban people and it is a last resort. We DO want people to act like adults and try to have some understanding that as passionate fans (non passionate fans do not come to fan sites and post like we do) are not always going to share the same opinion. And you know what... that is what MAKES a place like this.

I can attest to the fact that at one point or another, I have gotten complaints about almost every one of the "regular" posters here. If we banned everyone that has gotten a complaint, very few of us would be left.

32, I have received more complaints about you then perhaps any other member.

Have I (we) banned you? No!

And you know what... the people that have complained have not quit the board or trashed us in threads because they did not get their way. They acted like ADULTS!

The fact remains is you have a LONG history with this other poster and to think that you dont have an agenda or a bias against him is naive at best. While I dont like some of the things this other poster said in a couple of posts, the mods have talked to him about it but again, we will be adults and move on. You have strong personal feelings about this poster and you want him gone. You did not get your way and now you resort to childish bashing and it is NOT DESERVED of a few people that devote free time to help out around here.

I am sorry 32 but in this situation, you need to GROW UP.
_____________________________________________________
http://WWW.GOLDENSTATEWARRIORS-RT.COM

Moderator
Posts: 5360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:06 am
i think this is appropriate:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TVz7MiFhAk&feature=related[/youtube]
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:27 pm
Or perhaps...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gDfHT-TcbY[/youtube]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:05 am
Location: Berkeley
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:23 pm
Although I am not as active as I once was on this board, I still enjoy the place :!: I try to stay up on the current talk here but it's like every time I log on there are a million new topics that mostly bash.. I saw where 32 mentioned Pest & Colt aren't around could someone fill me in on why because both were very valuable here..

As for 32 I tried to research what caused this latest spat even though I am aware that there has been a ongoing discontent with migya, (whom I have also had problems with as well in the past).. I saw where migya took offence to 32 telling migya "You're thinking from a homer perspective" with migya responding "Let's just start by keeping any name calling down", Maybe I can call you homo instead of homer" & also I see where migya try's to justify extremely ignorant statements as jokes in the Rhianna thread with 32 correctly pointing out yet another instance of ethical violation by migya :roll:

I am glad to see the Mods not rush to banning members & I would be very disappointed to see 32 leave the board & would like to ask 32 to not leave but just avoid convo & pot shots from/too certain people :!:

Mods, migyas post's in the Rhianna thread should be deleted & addressed :banghead: PEACE & Go Warriors......
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:05 am
I think the whole contribution thing would be a GREAT idea. If migya's 5 dollar a month idea comes off as being too expensive, we could it annually.

the reason why i think it would be a good idea because it would limit the number of spammers. b/c seriously, how many people would pay to spam a board, right? and if a couple of them do happen to come by, we always have the best mods to ban em.

another reason why i love idea is because it would promote more intellectual hoop conversations. i'm not saying that there wont be anymore dumb threads, but if my guess is right, and all of our regulars happen to pay the fee, then some of the less knowledgeable/ignorant posters would go away (they'll always have goldenstateofmind. and who knows, maybe they'll like it there better).

and yet, another reason why it is a good idea is because hobbes wont have to come out of his pockets!

i think its a win-win-win-win-win situation...

im down


[i wanted to make my 1000th post important =]
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

Rookie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:12 am
Location: North Bay
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:04 am
We all, regardless of whether we live 10 blocks, 10 miles, 10 states, or an ocean away from the Oakland Arena, clearly care enough about the Warriors to post on a forum about them. One thing that needs to stop in sports is people constantly questioning the fan credentials of other people. We're all fans. Like has been said before, I have to say I applaud the fans that are outside the U.S. for being so dedicated to a team that plays here.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21381
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:42 am
If this forum is now a place where we can not talk about subjects openly, please tell me now hobbes. I ask you to tell me as this site was created by you and maintained by you.

When I arrived here, over two and a half years ago, this forum was of open communication, with plenty of joking around, some black humour, but plenty of understanding from everyone. This place was not a robotic, overly censored forum where you had to be careful to ruffle a couple of people's feathers, as you might be called on to be banned.


Seems like Bigs is the one that undertands me most (no offense to the rest of you that might not be so uptight and sensitive) in that things have gotten far more strict like, at least in atmosphere and that may only be due to a few posters, which may not be here as much anymore.

I believe in open communication and a humourous atmosphere, where topics can be discussed without leaping to conclusions on someone's persona and where walls of ignorance and fear are not put up.

Maybe it is just the culture of the places where each of us live, as (and not to be disrespectful) the U.S. seems to be far more sensitive to communication, as not to offend someone, even slightly, than here in Australia. Some Americans on here (as most on here are Americans and live in or near the Bay area) are not as sensitive and somewhat closed as others, so it is not all about the place where you live, but seems to be a common thing.

The way I see it, as long as you don't directly offend someone and by that I mean calling them out on an opinion they have, not obscenely calling out something about them, be it where they live, language they speak, how they look (for those that showed themselves on here) or things that are directed at a certain member on here, it is alright. Talking about someone that is known to most of us, like a sports star, calling them a name, like dikhead, is different, as that person is not witnessing that in person and never will, not that they'd care.

This is something that should be discussed because attitudes here have changed, some of them at least and it would be good to know who exactly thinks what
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:13 am
I've thought similar mate. There's no doubt we have a different sense of humour than our American friends here. A lot more relaxed. There's nothing you've said on here that I've found offensive. Yes it's "wrong" but I'm probably 10 x worse in my normal day to day, and take it all with a grain of salt. That said, it's for those reasons, I definitely modify my own behavior on here.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:42 am
For the record, and as Migya mentioned me as someone who understands him alot..............I am very open and honest and say what ever is on my mind.

However, this doesnt mean that I promote and allow anyone saying anything (obviously, given some of my past crusades :wink:)..............I do understand you Mig, mostly because you speak and post your humour in a very "I dont care what you think" way, which I do respect..............but sometimes it does go a little far, and I cant/dont agree with everything you say (the Rhianna thing was abit much, considering you made it sound quite serious and not like you were just being darkly humurous)

Anyway, never once have I thought that you should be banned............the "incident" which saw you have your mod status taken away was total bull sh*t, and a by product of people wanting to bring you down in the first place and using one contentious comment to do that.

Overall, alot of the problems and exceptions to comments like yours, mine and others who post dark humour outside the box............is objected to by either the "young" Americans (the ones I know to be young from when they stated their ages) and the Americans who believe that they are some kind of messiah here and feel the need to gather up the sheep and lead them out of the "darkness".

Obviously there are exceptions to the age thing..............but we have had so many discussions over the years regarding the difference in cultures and the acceptance/willingness to be open and accepting of others ways of being............it wont stop, and all we can hope for is to not have the "leaders" around that much, cuz they are the ones that cause the real trouble and totally dis-regard the fact that there are people in the world who exist outside their own way of thinking and being.

Anyway, hopefully things will be cool now.............weve tried over the years to promote an open-ness and transparancy to who we are with the "Reveal" threads and other things where talk about who we are as people, which should help............but overall, we are always going to have periods like this and when I think of the best times/threads/discussions I have had here, they were pretty much involving about 5 members, all of whom knew each other real well and could basically say anything to each other.............which is ideally how the whole board should be (and kind of was not that long ago) but is incredibly difficult to achieve.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21381
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:37 am
Quazza wrote:I've thought similar mate. There's no doubt we have a different sense of humour than our American friends here. A lot more relaxed. There's nothing you've said on here that I've found offensive. Yes it's "wrong" but I'm probably 10 x worse in my normal day to day, and take it all with a grain of salt. That said, it's for those reasons, I definitely modify my own behavior on here.


bigstrads wrote:For the record, and as Migya mentioned me as someone who understands him alot..............I am very open and honest and say what ever is on my mind.

However, this doesnt mean that I promote and allow anyone saying anything (obviously, given some of my past crusades :wink:)..............I do understand you Mig, mostly because you speak and post your humour in a very "I dont care what you think" way, which I do respect..............but sometimes it does go a little far, and I cant/dont agree with everything you say (the Rhianna thing was abit much, considering you made it sound quite serious and not like you were just being darkly humurous)

Anyway, never once have I thought that you should be banned............the "incident" which saw you have your mod status taken away was total bull sh*t, and a by product of people wanting to bring you down in the first place and using one contentious comment to do that.

Overall, alot of the problems and exceptions to comments like yours, mine and others who post dark humour outside the box............is objected to by either the "young" Americans (the ones I know to be young from when they stated their ages) and the Americans who believe that they are some kind of messiah here and feel the need to gather up the sheep and lead them out of the "darkness".

Obviously there are exceptions to the age thing..............but we have had so many discussions over the years regarding the difference in cultures and the acceptance/willingness to be open and accepting of others ways of being............it wont stop, and all we can hope for is to not have the "leaders" around that much, cuz they are the ones that cause the real trouble and totally dis-regard the fact that there are people in the world who exist outside their own way of thinking and being.

Anyway, hopefully things will be cool now.............weve tried over the years to promote an open-ness and transparancy to who we are with the "Reveal" threads and other things where talk about who we are as people, which should help............but overall, we are always going to have periods like this and when I think of the best times/threads/discussions I have had here, they were pretty much involving about 5 members, all of whom knew each other real well and could basically say anything to each other.............which is ideally how the whole board should be (and kind of was not that long ago) but is incredibly difficult to achieve.



You two are right and really, I have to just realise that most/some won't find some things we find humourous funny and not write those things at all. I'm just an open, not too quick to judge person and I like to be in an atmosphere that is relaxed and somewhat nonjudgemental, but that's not how everybody is and I respect that.

As for some/most Americans being more of the attitude of leading and thinking they know what's right and wrong - That can be true, but not all of them are, just like not all Australians go to the beach often and get flat drunk on beer often (though I don't mind the beach and the odd drop in the glass, I don't do either that often). I do respect the attitude of fairness for all that many Americans share, I really do, it doesn't exist in all societies, like some east European countries, where there is alot of unfairness. Not that the U.S. is totally fair for all, not according to many Americans I have spoken to over the years and some American friends that live here and I speak to pretty often. It is just that some views are quite stringent and thus somewhat blind those with those views as to the real intention and views of others.

I remember about two years ago, when the Cheerleaders thread was created, that really mellowed the people here out, it was real good to hangout, relaxed and just joking around. Things have tightened up a fair bit since then but I really want everyone to be comfortable above all else and that may mean the humour has to tighten up as well
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3069
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: San Jose
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:48 am
migya wrote:
Quazza wrote:I've thought similar mate. There's no doubt we have a different sense of humour than our American friends here. A lot more relaxed. There's nothing you've said on here that I've found offensive. Yes it's "wrong" but I'm probably 10 x worse in my normal day to day, and take it all with a grain of salt. That said, it's for those reasons, I definitely modify my own behavior on here.


bigstrads wrote:For the record, and as Migya mentioned me as someone who understands him alot..............I am very open and honest and say what ever is on my mind.

However, this doesnt mean that I promote and allow anyone saying anything (obviously, given some of my past crusades :wink:)..............I do understand you Mig, mostly because you speak and post your humour in a very "I dont care what you think" way, which I do respect..............but sometimes it does go a little far, and I cant/dont agree with everything you say (the Rhianna thing was abit much, considering you made it sound quite serious and not like you were just being darkly humurous)

Anyway, never once have I thought that you should be banned............the "incident" which saw you have your mod status taken away was total bull sh*t, and a by product of people wanting to bring you down in the first place and using one contentious comment to do that.

Overall, alot of the problems and exceptions to comments like yours, mine and others who post dark humour outside the box............is objected to by either the "young" Americans (the ones I know to be young from when they stated their ages) and the Americans who believe that they are some kind of messiah here and feel the need to gather up the sheep and lead them out of the "darkness".

Obviously there are exceptions to the age thing..............but we have had so many discussions over the years regarding the difference in cultures and the acceptance/willingness to be open and accepting of others ways of being............it wont stop, and all we can hope for is to not have the "leaders" around that much, cuz they are the ones that cause the real trouble and totally dis-regard the fact that there are people in the world who exist outside their own way of thinking and being.

Anyway, hopefully things will be cool now.............weve tried over the years to promote an open-ness and transparancy to who we are with the "Reveal" threads and other things where talk about who we are as people, which should help............but overall, we are always going to have periods like this and when I think of the best times/threads/discussions I have had here, they were pretty much involving about 5 members, all of whom knew each other real well and could basically say anything to each other.............which is ideally how the whole board should be (and kind of was not that long ago) but is incredibly difficult to achieve.



You two are right and really, I have to just realise that most/some won't find some things we find humourous funny and not write those things at all. I'm just an open, not too quick to judge person and I like to be in an atmosphere that is relaxed and somewhat nonjudgemental, but that's not how everybody is and I respect that.

As for some/most Americans being more of the attitude of leading and thinking they know what's right and wrong - That can be true, but not all of them are, just like not all Australians go to the beach often and get flat drunk on beer often (though I don't mind the beach and the odd drop in the glass, I don't do either that often). I do respect the attitude of fairness for all that many Americans share, I really do, it doesn't exist in all societies, like some east European countries, where there is alot of unfairness. Not that the U.S. is totally fair for all, not according to many Americans I have spoken to over the years and some American friends that live here and I speak to pretty often. It is just that some views are quite stringent and thus somewhat blind those with those views as to the real intention and views of others.

I remember about two years ago, when the Cheerleaders thread was created, that really mellowed the people here out, it was real good to hangout, relaxed and just joking around. Things have tightened up a fair bit since then but I really want everyone to be comfortable above all else and that may mean the humour has to tighten up as well


Maybe you guys need to start a Foreign forum so you can just laugh it up.... jk, man this board has been really tense lately. What the hell is going on? Part of it is frustration i see and i get myself from the dead horse beating. Same crap over and over. Off topic is the sanctuary but then that even gets heated. Just weather the storm people! haha

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:12 pm
Wow. I read the forums 3-4 days a week and I had no idea it had come to this. I'd hate to see 32 go. I never really liked his anti-Nelson slant that began more than a year before most of the posters here realized they hated him (he was ahead of his time there). A shame.

One of the biggest problems is that the Warriors aren't what they were and that the only two guys who probably escape all attack are Beans and Ronnie, since they pretty much do what we all expect them to do. And maybe Az. Not too many people bashing him.

The rest... well. They all have die hard supporters and critics, and those battles are fought here every single day. After a while, folks get tired of other posters getting up on their soapbox every single day and bashing the Warriors they happen to like.

Nellie, Jack, Monta, AR, Wright, Maggs, Crawford, Macro, Watson... all these guys are both loved and hated by the Warrior faithful.

I've grown tired of most of the debate. I don't even care that much anymore what the Warriors do. I just want to watch basketball. The Warriors have been playing better lately, and that's been good to watch.

Anyway, I hope we don't lose anyone. Especially guys like 32 who know basketball and don't just post emotional responses every time the Warriors lose or a guy looks bad. He held off on posting any opinions on the Warriors in 08-09 until Monta came back, and he was right. We're a much different team than we were 6 weeks ago.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:19 pm
The thing that us mods discussed about is how you handle what an Aussie says or what a British man says. Because what you say on your land may sound okay to say to you, but not okay here in the US. Same goes for Aussies. Our cultures, vocab, and jokes are all very different. And when you have a board with great numbers of foreigners, it's not easy for us to judge something and whether to give you a warning or ban or what not. Some may think it should be simple, but it's really just not.

Basically, it's one those "easier said than done" things.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:33 am
xbay wrote:The thing that us mods discussed about is how you handle what an Aussie says or what a British man says. Because what you say on your land may sound okay to say to you, but not okay here in the US. Same goes for Aussies. Our cultures, vocab, and jokes are all very different. And when you have a board with great numbers of foreigners, it's not easy for us to judge something and whether to give you a warning or ban or what not. Some may think it should be simple, but it's really just not.

Basically, it's one those "easier said than done" things.


Exactly.............but its not really a case of whether a person who is from a more open and accepting land should be warned or banned when a comment isnt exactly clear.

Its just about people not launching instantly into some crusade without even bothering to try and understand that it is a simple case of cultural mis-understandings and differences.

Thats what has pissed me off with the recent stuff, is the whole "You are wrong, Im from America, this is how we do it, therefore you are wrong"..............if a "foreign" member even dared to state something that they did as fact and as a ruling force over something Americans do, then they would be destroyed.

More to the point, even if it is fact where your from............what the f*ck does it matter to the person who isnt where you from? why would they care and take that into consideration when those people are putting in that "Im better than you" way.

Whereas if people just learned to recognise and understand that things and ways of thinking do exist outside of their own culture (which if you notice, all of the foreign people here do with the Americans) and simply ask a question, instead of instantly going on the offensive..............then we wouldnt have the trouble we do of this nature.

Anyway, Ive had the best times here when Ive been open and able to speak plainly, without the risk of some douche (see, American word, just for you guys. :wink:) taking it completely the wrong way..............and when that has happend, its largely been with the smart, free thinking Americans of the board, among others, and not the "Holyer Than Thou" crew.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest