New Years Eve BART shooting footage

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:10 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:A horrific story- to shoot a man in the back is a sense-less act. Underserving to the young man, who's family and friends must now mourn and wonder what his life would have been.

My runnings with police have me believing majority of them in San Jose carry no respect towards African Americans.

When i was younger I would always hear about the injustice that the police placed on African Americans. (DWB) as they would say, meaning DRIVING WHILE BLACK- the case in which alot of my black friends reported they would get pulled over and harrassed by cops and not get a valid reason for been pulled over , the stories of unnecessary force against blacks, the disrespect towards blacks by cops. As a young 18 year old i always relpyed no such thing has ever happened to me therefore i cannot complain about the cops. I always looked at cops as protectors of society.

This all changed once I personally encountered the cops from San Jose.It was a normal day me and my friend also black travelled to the East side of San Jose to pick up another one of our friends. On our way back 6-7 cop cars pulled us over at a near by resturant. At this point in time there were on-lookers with eyes glared on the 2 black teens, and my latino friend. Next thing you know we are ordered to get out our car, guns drawn from the cops, knees on the ground, in dis-belief my friend was asking out loud what was going on, and i remembered clearly a cop saying "if you do anything we will shot". We were hand cuffed placed in the back of the cop car. 5 minutes later we were let go out of the hand-cuffs, no explanation giving. Got their card to report them about the incident. We got no where with the police department on reporting our complaints.

So I have my reasons for not respecting cops, I do respect the law but not the cops. Plus other incidents not this serious has me disliking the police.

I used to have similar issues out there in san jose as well, and you know why they have been able to get away with that **** for so long? the label as one of Americas safest big cities. I believe that those statistics are justification for them profiling and so it is somewhat allowed.

I see you are also from San Jose, what part ? Am sure if we ask a young African American or Latino resident in San Jose about their experience with cops, am sure they will mention something negative about them. Cops are notorious for profiling blacks and latinos which has been known for years. Its just a statastic until you are personally affected by the profiling, followed by cops abuse if power. Its almost as if cops have it against blacks and Latinos, as if they are trained to talk down on them, and have what ever way they want with them.

So you also went through similar issues, i feel for you because i know how that feels, its so degrading, feeling almost powerless. The whole safest Big city label put on San Jose, does give the police leeway in harrassing people and making there life miserable.

East Side most of my life. I've lived around different places around here if you're familiar, like meadowfair, east hills, near hillview airport. I've also lived out by Alma and monterey for a while. But when I was younger, the cops seemed to have more problems in the nicer areas for sure, but they also have a different attitude on this side.I don't have any issues now, but this was more about 10 years ago or so in my teenage years and early twenties.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:16 pm
hats off to the REAL citizens of oakland for making sure those pigs never forget the man they executed in cold blood

rest in power
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:29 am
Ok, this thread kinda sickens me. For the reason why it was started and for the way it has evolved into some kind of personal quarrel.

I'm Bada here regarding gogogadget. He has a previous warning, but this time he wasn't... "trolling". Just got very emotional on a touchy subject. I actually agree with him (not on the numbers, but that's irrelevant) that most police and soldiers are good people. Some of them may not be good profesisonals, but there are very few bad apples between them. The people in charge... well, that's a completely different matter. But, in any case, those guys are just following orders, because that's their job. It's not like they have any chance to choose.

So it sickens me when I see how other officers are harassed because of something that a different one did. The only one that should be blamed and has to pay the consequences is the one that executed that guy. Only him. Making it an issue against every officer is just stupid and uncalled for.

Also, please, stop those personal attacks, guys. I can understand that everybody has his own personal point of view on this subject, but this debate, a totally legit one, has to remain as civil as possible.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:29 am
I was at Balboa Bart station with some homies earlier this morning, and gee whiz......whoever made that post about the bart police gettin harassed is definitely NOT lying ahahahhaa......mufuckas was in line to get on the bus talkin ****....this was outside of tha station hahahahahahha just yellin so the cops could here..... it looks like they walk in twos now exclusively...at least from what i saw......never seen a sadder cop in my time.....oh well they'll live to watch their kids grow oscar wont...
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:34 am
I agree TMC that most are good people.

It's horrific that it takes stressful situations to reveal the level of training and professionalism in each individual. Often enough though there is someone with a badge and gun that really has no business having either. Often enough that sub par individual is assigned to police areas like East Oakland, Bayview/Hunter's Point, or Richmond. They are ill equipped and ill prepared to handle these situations. The numbers are staggering when you consider the amount of harassment, false arrests, and wrongful shootings in these areas compared to others. Unfortunately, the need for quality police officers outweighs the supply of quality individuals that are willing to do the job. Which leads to situations like the killing of Oscar Grant by a security guard at the Fruitvale BART station on New Year's Eve. Perhaps, if the security guard had been rigorously screened and trained, Mr. Grant would be alive today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:42 am
speakonitgod wrote:hats off to the REAL citizens of oakland for making sure those pigs never forget the man they executed in cold blood

rest in power

WOW, a very dissapointing and sad point of view but I will refrain from commenting further

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:03 pm
Heres quoting Speak:
hats off to the REAL citizens of oakland for making sure those pigs never forget the man they executed in cold blood

I believe we all have the right to protest, but 2 wrongs don't make a right, and people should refrain from making protests violent. People need to stop directing their anger to police in general and focus on the man himself who did the shooting... blame him. He is the one to focus ur anger on, not police in general. SO i think ur rationale speak of calling all cops pigs is a bit immature on ur part bro. Cuz "THEY" didnt do the shooting, that one guy did, and theres nothing in the law that says cops are allow to shoot someone like he did, so dont be blaming cops, blame the SOB who did the shooting.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:52 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Heres quoting Speak:

I believe we all have the right to protest, but 2 wrongs don't make a right, and people should refrain from making protests violent. People need to stop directing their anger to police in general and focus on the man himself who did the shooting... blame him. He is the one to focus ur anger on, not police in general. SO i think ur rationale speak of calling all cops pigs is a bit immature on ur part bro. Cuz "THEY" didnt do the shooting, that one guy did, and theres nothing in the law that says cops are allow to shoot someone like he did, so dont be blaming cops, blame the SOB who did the shooting.

Trouble is, all that anger and hatred...........both for this incident and all the repressed stuff aswell, is going to manifest itself no matter what.

And how do they do that ONLY to the coward that mudered this kid?..........hes probably under armed guard, protected and locked away somewhere............so people who feel they have to express their anger have no other way but to riot and do these things.

Obviously, a constructive way of "fighting" would be to support and assist the guys family in some way, whether that be through acts of kindness to them or perhaps protesting, not rioting, outside police stations and what not..........but hey, we are talking about people here, and people who feel/are very hard done by by the authorities.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:45 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
saintdee wrote:Anyone read about the near rioting that went down in response.

Its sickening to see animals messing things up by burning cars and saying things like "We live a life of fear, and we want them to be afraid tonight."

Animals ? How would you react if your Mother, Father, Daughter, Sister, orbest friend, was shot dead in the back, what would be your reaction ? HuH ?

my first reaction wouldn't be to burn my neighbor's cars. and damage the properties of my local community that for sure. How are you getting justice for your loved one by hurting the communities? creating fear and panic isn't a good thing. For every police window you break thats money coming out of your taxes that goes into buying the police a new car.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:08 pm
It's easy to damn the protesters because of course those actions don't make any sense. I'm sure it was an isolated group of people actually doing the damage to property. Nonetheless, those are actions of desperate people who have nothing left to lose. Sure they need to pay for their crimes but the larger question is what level of despair and powerlessness does one have to feel before deciding that this is good thing to do... If their lives had not been touched previously by similar events to the Fruitvale shooting, they would not have been out there breaking windows and burning cars. I'm not saying they should have done it, just saying I understand. Most of us have the luxury of thinking practically.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:46 pm
Jackattack wrote:It's easy to damn the protesters because of course those actions don't make any sense. I'm sure it was an isolated group of people actually doing the damage to property. Nonetheless, those are actions of desperate people who have nothing left to lose. Sure they need to pay for their crimes but the larger question is what level of despair and powerlessness does one have to feel before deciding that this is good thing to do... If their lives had not been touched previously by similar events to the Fruitvale shooting, they would not have been out there breaking windows and burning cars. I'm not saying they should have done it, just saying I understand. Most of us have the luxury of thinking practically.

i can understand one who is fed up....that person is unhappy / upset and well pissed off ...as they should be.
the trouble i have is watching the news clips ( i know not a good source of info) i see people smilling and almost happy as they are bashing up the city.

Justice is something we all want...we live in a broken world...
if my car breaks i have it fixed ..if i get sick i have the doctor fix me.
when justice is broken how is it fixed?
We all have in us a desire for justice , we want things fair , we want to be happy in our home , in our neighborhoods , and jobs ect ect ect.

We hear an echo inside us saying their can be justice.....
We know right from wrong ( the just way of living ) but we struggle to act in a just manor at times....Some strugle more than others. Yet we all act in injustly at times.

We hear an echo to act justly ,we hear an echo that desire's world justice.

If we cant fix our own unjust ways of life , how will justice ever be global?

It is no easy fix , yet we hear an echo inside us wich seeks it.

What do we do with that echo inside us ? Do we give up when we see our own unjust deeds , nope the echo will not stop.
Do we give up on justice in a global sense, did we give up on justice in our own actions.....nope the echo inside us won't allow for that.
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:43 pm
saintdee wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
saintdee wrote:Anyone read about the near rioting that went down in response.

Its sickening to see animals messing things up by burning cars and saying things like "We live a life of fear, and we want them to be afraid tonight."

Animals ? How would you react if your Mother, Father, Daughter, Sister, orbest friend, was shot dead in the back, what would be your reaction ? HuH ?

my first reaction wouldn't be to burn my neighbor's cars. and damage the properties of my local community that for sure. How are you getting justice for your loved one by hurting the communities? creating fear and panic isn't a good thing. For every police window you break thats money coming out of your taxes that goes into buying the police a new car.

That's exactly right. The only way to get theat cop that shot the boy back, is to target him specifically. That means finding out where he lives and doing things to make him pay, thos are uncivilised things but if you want to destoy something, destroy that person specifically. Fiding out where he lives and smashing his car, house, legs, arms, even killing him, is being specific to the person who stepped out of line.

There actually is another point of view. You can act like a country does towards a hostile group that lives in a neighbouring country and start targetting the group or organisation specifically, but in this case it means bashing or killing cops in general, to send a message that those actions are not acceptable. That is too extreme, as not all cops think the same and you really can't prove that all cops are given orders to harass blacks and/or hispanics.

Really a difficult situation if you want to hand out pay back for what happened. Best thing is to target the cop that did it directly and that requires some organisation, having a group of people that is sneaky about it all.

The most effective way is to disturb government events by protesting at such events about cops being abusive, that way it brings about awareness about the whole thing

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:15 pm
I think the rioting was definitely warranted that night. I mean to those who are disgusted by it.....why? Do you have any other solutions that would help give the working middle/lower class a voice in a situation like this? I mean seriously, what do you want us to do...write a letter to our local politician? March?

We made sure the city of Oakland will remember Oscar Grant, and that is the point.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:19 pm
Jackattack wrote:It's easy to damn the protesters because of course those actions don't make any sense. I'm sure it was an isolated group of people actually doing the damage to property. Nonetheless, those are actions of desperate people who have nothing left to lose. Sure they need to pay for their crimes but the larger question is what level of despair and powerlessness does one have to feel before deciding that this is good thing to do... If their lives had not been touched previously by similar events to the Fruitvale shooting, they would not have been out there breaking windows and burning cars. I'm not saying they should have done it, just saying I understand. Most of us have the luxury of thinking practically.

^solid post

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:59 pm
hey warriors fans. I'm back. On friday me and bigs got in a little bit of a heated debate.

It started out with people calling the police pigs, and specifically bart police "rent a cops". I responded to this by politely asking for those remarks to stop, because I have a close friend who is a bart cop, and they go through the same training and everything else as regular cops. I then said that 99% of cops are there for the right reasons. Maybe the number was a little off, but I was trying to make a point

Bigs then called me, I think it was something like "the definition of naivity". Somehow, and I don't know who it was, brought the military into the conversation. It was then that Bigs started calling foot soldiers "cowboys" and kids with no futures who just want to go kill people. I then responded with some harsh arguments and statements, that I probably shouldnt have said.

Basically, my point is this: I don't think bigs understands where myself and other people are coming from. We aren't watching this war on a movie screen or really from very far at all. Almost everyone on this board has a loved one, a close friend, or at least someone they know or know of in Iraq right now. One of my best friends that I grew up with since I was five just shipped out about 2 months ago. One of the best guys I ever knew. He's just one of the few that I know over there. I just couldn't stand anyone coming at him like that, especially someone from outside this country, who probably knows no one in Iraq right now, calling my friends lost kids with no futures who signed up to go shoot people. Fact is, Bigs didnt/doesnt understand how REAL this **** is. Its not a game. Our loved ones are over there, DYING, and theyre not to blame for our ridiculous president. It's not a matter of "America..FUCCK YAA", its a matter of compassion and respect.

Lastly, I understand I could have gone about this a different way. I apologize to bada, TMC, and all the mods for the name calling and demeaning of a respected member of this community. That said, I have cooled off for a few days now, and still feel the same. I do not take back what I said. I stand by my friends and family, and that's how I honored them that day. I know I don't have the best reputation on this board, but this argument was really from the heart. Once again, I apologize, and go warriors!

Fact: Brighton, England is awesome
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum