Guys, Need Your Help Buying A PC......

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 pm
Hey fellas,

So, my lovely lady is offering to buy me a new PC for Christmas (damn I love her! :mrgreen:) as this one is basically on its last legs and it beginning to not handle alot of these new sites and things I want to do.

Trouble is, this PC is 6 years old, so Im not exactly up with whats required for a good PC to run well (in terms of all the GHZ and cache and all that jazz)

Now, I only use my PC for internet browsing and basic programme running (the occasional use of Photoshop but not all the time and not whilst running lots of other programmes)..............Im not into PC games so dont need all that stuff.

I am just having trouble with this damned Windows Vista junk, as I dont like any operating system that spikes your CPU to 30+% just because you opened a damned file!!! :roll:

With all this mind, I would really appreciate some thoughts on what you guys may think I need, to just have a smooth running, fast PC..........without the need for 6 processors and stuff.

Heres one I just built through Dell online, specs and price............if you fellas would be so kind as to let me know what you think, I would vertainly appreciate it. :wink: =

Intel Core 2 Due E8400 Processor - (3.00GHZ, 1333MHZ, 6MB Cache)
Memory - 3072MB, 800MHZ Dual Channel - 1024 x2 + 512 x2.
Intergrated Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 310
500GB Sata Hard-drive.
DVD +/- RW Drive.
19 in 1 media card reader.
Intergrated 7.1 Channel HD Audio.
17inch Widescreen monitor (1440 x 900)
Internal PCI Wireless Network Card (to connect to my wireless hub)
Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1.
External Speakers.

Which totals £628.88 including delivery - Which is $938.00 (at todays exchange rate of 1.48 dollars to the pound)

So..............what do you guys think? do I need all that if Im just doing what I said I was doing? or because Vista needs such a large amount of stuff to simply run, is it all necessary?

God I hate Vista............they wont let me just have XP, and keep telling me that alot of the PC's functions wouldnt owrk if I had XP. :roll:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:37 pm
every type of thread i see like this across the whole world wide web i hear some token dude always drop in the sly comment. BUY A MAC

so here goes.

BUY A MAC
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:39 pm
PAWNOGRAFFITI wrote:every type of thread i see like this across the whole world wide web i hear some token dude always drop in the sly comment. BUY A MAC

so here goes.

BUY A MAC

Ohh yeah, I should have mentioned this =

F*CK MAC!!!

Ill accept getting a few viruses every now and then............and the ponses with MAC's can accept hardly ever being compatible with anything they want to do, or atleast having to go to ridiculous lengths to make the simplest thing happen. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:44 pm
bigstrads wrote:Now, I only use my PC for internet browsing and basic programme running

Then tell her that she should get your the cheapest she can find. Any PC currently available in any store will be more than enough for that. You may want to pay attention to specifics if you ever want to do anything more demanding, but just for internet browsing, word, photoshop and the like?. I'd look at price first.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:08 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Now, I only use my PC for internet browsing and basic programme running

Then tell her that she should get your the cheapest she can find. Any PC currently available in any store will be more than enough for that. You may want to pay attention to specifics if you ever want to do anything more demanding, but just for internet browsing, word, photoshop and the like?. I'd look at price first.

Well yeah, thats how Im thinking about it..............BUT Vista needs so much power just to run simple stuff (Ive tested it and spoke to others who agree) that if I by the one that fits with my usage............then it would be sh*t because of Vista.

This is whats confusing me and what I need advice on really, otherwise I would have ordered it already...........any thoughts? :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:26 pm
bigstrads wrote:This is whats confusing me and what I need advice on really, otherwise I would have ordered it already...........any thoughts? :wink:

Well, I'm running Vista in a laptop pretty similar to the specs you posted above (much less HD and 2GB of ram, but similar other than that) and it runs just fine.

I mean, it sucks, but it's Vista, so I guess it goes as smooth as it can. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:27 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:This is whats confusing me and what I need advice on really, otherwise I would have ordered it already...........any thoughts? :wink:

Well, I'm running Vista in a laptop pretty similar to the specs you posted above (much less HD and 2GB of ram, but similar other than that) and it runs just fine.

I mean, it sucks, but it's Vista, so I guess it goes as smooth as it can. :wink:

Really?............what do you think sucks about it? I seriously am going to try to convince them to give XP.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:33 pm
bigstrads wrote:Really?............what do you think sucks about it? I seriously am going to try to convince them to give XP.

It's... well, slow. It checks everything twice, asking you for permission for everything. Has too many automatisms...

You know, lots of minor details that are small pains, nothing too serious, particularly for the use you're going to give it.

I'd rather have XP, but I'm too lazy to install everything again from scratch.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:52 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Really?............what do you think sucks about it? I seriously am going to try to convince them to give XP.

It's... well, slow. It checks everything twice, asking you for permission for everything. Has too many automatisms...

You know, lots of minor details that are small pains, nothing too serious, particularly for the use you're going to give it.

I'd rather have XP, but I'm too lazy to install everything again from scratch.

Man............I dont know whether to buy a lesser powered PC, re-install it with XP, and save money..............or stay with the more power and try and make Vista work.................. :banghead:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:11 pm
bigstrads wrote:Man............I dont know whether to buy a lesser powered PC, re-install it with XP, and save money..............or stay with the more power and try and make Vista work.................. :banghead:

If money ain't an issue, I'd go for the latter. Who knows?. You might even like it. And, if not, you can always reinstall XP later.

But only if money ain't an issue, because a less powered PC will be enough for the use you're gonna give it.

I know I'm not helping, just messing with you. You ask questions, I have fun. Kinda fee like my avatar now. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:42 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Man............I dont know whether to buy a lesser powered PC, re-install it with XP, and save money..............or stay with the more power and try and make Vista work.................. :banghead:

If money ain't an issue, I'd go for the latter. Who knows?. You might even like it. And, if not, you can always reinstall XP later.

But only if money ain't an issue, because a less powered PC will be enough for the use you're gonna give it.

I know I'm not helping, just messing with you. You ask questions, I have fun. Kinda fee like my avatar now. :mrgreen:

Yeah............... :roll:

I think from now on, when I make a thread asking for help...........I will stipulate that ANYONE can post, apart from you. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:51 pm
bigstrads wrote:Yeah............... :roll:

I think from now on, when I make a thread asking for help...........I will stipulate that ANYONE can post, apart from you. :mrgreen:

That won't help. I'm a mod. I'll tell them what to post. Or edit their posts. Anything to help driving you mad. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:27 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Yeah............... :roll:

That won't help. I'm a mod. I'll tell them what to post. Or edit their posts. Anything to help driving you mad. :mrgreen:

Ok, Ill stop listening to you and go back to my old way of screaming out every bad poster/post that appears here............deal? :wink:

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:31 pm
Hey Bigstrads,

I'm running Vista 64-bit on a 2.53ghz CPU and four gigs of ram and it runs like a dream. Vista has improved much since the release. I really dig it.

Make sure to buy Avira AntiVir premium for your virus protection. I think it's a UK company and it rocks.

Oh, and if you're not playing games, the above specs will be just fine for a long, long time.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:12 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:Hey Bigstrads,

I'm running Vista 64-bit on a 2.53ghz CPU and four gigs of ram and it runs like a dream. Vista has improved much since the release. I really dig it.

Make sure to buy Avira AntiVir premium for your virus protection. I think it's a UK company and it rocks.

Oh, and if you're not playing games, the above specs will be just fine for a long, long time.

Cool man, THATS what I needed!!!..............thanks alot. :wink:
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum