Is it just me, or does TV suck now a days?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Is TV more entertaining or less entertaing this days? (compared to five yrs ago)

More entertaining than what was on ~5 years ago
38%
Less entertaining than what was on ~5 years ago
13%
I've been living in a bomb shelter since y2k, i dunno (wow the internets so much faster!)
25%
My TV's been on contiuously for 5 years, I love it! it is my only friend. we complete each other.
No votes
The last two options are stupid and it's going to throw off the accuracy of this poll
25%

Total votes : 8

All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:40 pm
How do you feel about TV shows today? what if any shows do you like? what bugs the crap out of you? why do you think this is?

I think people are coming down off the high of reality TV shows that were so popular this decade. Reality TV shows are starting to tank in the ratings (it's about friggin time if you ask me), esp. the "Romantic" reality TV shows. C'mon VH1, A Chance at Love, with Chance and Real? It's a Spinoff of a Spinoff (I Love New York) of a Show that really wasn't all that great in the first place(Flavor of Love).

I don't know maybe I'm just not hip to pop culture. but here's what's on right now:
- World Series of Poker? Who the fvck watches poker for 2 hours? can't we have NBA 2 night on espn2? if NFL live can be on during the offseason why can't we have a year round NBA show?
- Sportscenter - fvcking selling out, they stay on the popular stories for almost the entire show. I'm convinced it's because they want to catch as many viewers and make as much money as possible rather than reporting ALL of the sports news.
-futurama - never really been funny if you ask me (and I used to like Simpsons and still like Family guy), just kind of odd.
-Dirty Jobs - meh. more often than not, not interesting.plus there are so many repeats. Discovery Channel just repeats everything over and over and over...
- Dancing with the stars - never watched it. I do like to dance but it doesn't interest me.
- Biggest Loser - not fat. don't care for fat chicks. trying to make drama out of something that's not super dramatic: don't eat as much, work out/walk more. if all the fat people who watch this would turn off the tv and go for a jog or a walk instead...
-NFL Live - Raiders suck, it's too painful to watch
-I love money - every time I turn on VH1 it's on. who is not sick of these people by now?
-Paris Hilton's BFF - she talks like a zombie. it's like her whole face was injected with botox
-UFC unleashed - I'm sorry but every time I try to watch that... it looks pretty gay. I like boxing, but that shiit, where the guys are like 69ing each other on the ground, no thank you. not appealing
-South Park - one of my favorite shows, but most of the new episodes just aren't as random and funny as the first seasons (1-10). now a days it just builds to one joke that isn't that funny.
-even the Daily Show isn't very good anymore - they can only comment on yesterday's news, the interviews are pretty boring, and the correspondents just aren't funny (Wyatt Cenac, Larry Wilmore, Assif Manvi). member when Mo Racca, Stephen Colbert, Steve Carrel, would interview crazy people? like I remember the guy that was selling Osama Bin Ladin Toliet Paper. funny.

so what am I watching?
-MSNBC (leaning to the left) and Fox News (Way, Way to the right) are adjacent stations. I like watching the "fair and balanced" news station basically attack the left and promote the right 24/7. when trooper-gate was confirmed on Fri, I didn't hear them talk about it AT ALL. not even in the news ticker. I kinda just watch with my mouth open, like "how can they call themselves fair and balanced?"
-The Office - still good after 4 seasons
- Colbert Report

c'mon NBA Regular Season, get here soon!
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:41 am
Yeah, I don't have much interest in today's shows. Other than House, George Lopez, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show with John Stewart, and 49ers football(which is depressing to watch)... there isn't much after that.

I miss Mad TV. I know they still show it, but the new people suck. I miss the old actors like Michael McDonald and Alex Bornstein.

I'm not going to lie, and I'm not going to be ashamed to say I still watch WWE. I'm one of the very few, basically just me and pawno, are the only ones who watch it. I find it entertaining. That's just my opinion on it. I can see why people don't like it, anymore though.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:12 am
xbay wrote:Yeah, I don't have much interest in today's shows. Other than House, George Lopez, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show with John Stewart, and 49ers football(which is depressing to watch)... there isn't much after that.

I miss Mad TV. I know they still show it, but the new people suck. I miss the old actors like Michael McDonald and Alex Bornstein.

I'm not going to lie, and I'm not going to be ashamed to say I still watch WWE. I'm one of the very few, basically just me and pawno, are the only ones who watch it. I find it entertaining. That's just my opinion on it. I can see why people don't like it, anymore though.

yeah, all i watch is george lopez, and the family matters replays (other than sports related stuff>>i watch around the horn and PTI on espn).

as far as the WWE. i would probably watch again if the rock and stone cold came back as regulars. other than that, i totally lost interest...im only updated cuz my nephews watch it. but since the rock and stone cold wont come back as regs, ill prolly never watch again. (except wrestlmanias...cuz i wanna see the undertaker lose and then retire just to know that i witnessed it.)
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:00 pm
TV's about the same to me. I agree that Sportscenter has turned to crap and most of the reality shows are unbearable to watch.

Other than sports, I rarely watch live TV anymore. I scan the channel guides and DVR whatever looks interesting. Always plenty of good documentaries to choose from. In addition, On Demand has a wide selection of shows. It's nice to FF past the commercials. Cuts viewing time for a 60 minute show down to 40-45 minutes.

As far as particular shows:

The Office - Great stuff. Rainn Wilson (Dwight) has got to be the funniest character on TV at the moment. The dialogue freelancing really puts this show a step above.

The Shield - Normally not a fan of cop shows, but Vic isn't exactly a cop.

Lost - I buy the DVD's when they come out. There is no way I could watch the show week-to-week. They always leave you saying WTF at the end of every episode.

I also enjoy certain shows on the Food Network and have been recording the America's Game docs on NFL Network.

If I have a guilty pleasure it's the reality shows on VH1. I know they are some of the dumbest on TV but that's what I enjoy. The folks are completly clueless and seem to have no problem with it.

If I could eliminate 1 show, it would be that Sweet Sixteen crap on MTV. A bunch of spoiled brats who regardless of money are probably going to live empty lives.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:37 pm
Actually, I think that TV is in its best era of TV. There is a bunch of good TV, but u have to know where to find it... and dont make those shitty shows dilute the whole bunch of good stuff out there.

I think LOST is the smartest show in TV, has so many literary references, has good science, the acting is amazing, good action and suspense, scenery is well done (most expensive show in television).

The Office is another Great comedy. The dry humor in this show is what makes this show stand out above the rest. Unlike any comedy prior to it. Another key they do is reward the viewer with previously mentioned material and it helps for future episodes (something rare in comedies).

Heroes, until this season, was another great action show. Awesome for nerds liike me who like this stuff. Pushing Daisies is witty, colorful, and a good "mystery" each week. Mad Men is a reletively historically accurate of American Lifestyle in the 1960's. The scenery is great, and the acting is the best on TV. CSI is awesome science (and mostly accurate), and the drama/action in this show is great. Chuck is a very well done action/comedy with this regular joe working with a CIA operative and an NSA person. How I met Your Mother is a funny comedy, done with the traditional way, but still very fresh. Burn Notice, Monk, Psyche are all good detective(ish) solving shows you can find on cable (All on USA network if im not mistaken)

Although im not too much into reality TV, Amazing Race and Survivor are great shows, and won't die any time soon.

Shows that started this year look very promising too. Life on Mars, Fringe, and The Mentalist are all promising shows that could stay for years to come.

So yeah, i disagree with ur assessment first off.. oh and i agree, south park is good too.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:44 pm
I'll step up and say that I actually think TV is as entertaining as it was 5 years ago, if not slightly better. Here are my opinions on some of the shows I watch or used to watch:

The Simpsons: I used to be a die hard Simpsons fan. Then he murdered his girl (badum-cha!). It was the pinnacle of not just animated excellence but of network TV in general. The last few seasons, however, seem like they're just going through the motions. The episodes are still very funny, but you can tell the writing just lacks real motivation.

Family Guy - Also on the downturn. It was one of the best shows on TV for its first few seasons but then just fell too in love with some of its gags. We get it and its recycled.

Futurama (reruns) - This show is great and underrated. It seems to be what the Simpsons was like during its prime.

American Dad - Pretty funny and I feel underrated. On the SAT exam: American Dad is to Family Guy as Futurama is to The Simpsons.

King of the Hill - The older I get the funnier this show is. Of all the Fox Sunday shows I think I get the most consistent enjoyment out of KoTH. Peggy Hill is the most underrated character on TV.

Lost - A great show. Admittedly you'd have to have been watching since the beginning to really get into it, but week in and week out it is intriguing and leaves you wanting more.

The Office - Probably the most consistently hilarious show on TV.

30 Rock - I haven't seen all the episodes of this show but through season 1 and half of season 2 it is really funny.

South Park - to me this is still the best show on TV. They can get preachy but they are aware when they do it. I disagree that it was better early on - I think it has gotten more intelligent with their humor and really hit its stride around season 7 or so.

Daily Show/Colbert Report - Great shows but they can be missed just because they are on every night and Comedy Central replays them 10 times a day.

Flight of the Conchords - I hope HBO gives them another season.

Real Time with Bill Maher - Bill's got an agenda (not an evil one, but still a blatant agenda) but the panel segment is still a proper replacement for Politcally Incorrect. I'm realizing at age 25 I'm in the minority of people who remember/know about Politically incorrect.

Top Chef - This might be my favorite reality show. It's just fun and interesting - it is like they took the best elements of Iron Chef and the rest of the food network and put it in a 30 minute show.

PTI - I still enjoy Mike and Tony but not as much as before. It has just gotten a little stale. Same goes for Around the Horn. Shout out to Max Kellerman for throwing his career away.

The one thing that I will say that this run of TV is missing is a Chapelle Show. It was a once in a decade show that was over too quickly and TV has felt the void ever since. Other than that I'd say we're getting the same of what we used to get, but with better overall writing in exchange for more dumb reality shows.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:20 pm
Linc Mob wrote:\If I have a guilty pleasure it's the reality shows on VH1. I know they are some of the dumbest on TV but that's what I enjoy. The folks are completly clueless and seem to have no problem with it.

You too? I somehow got attracted to I Love Money. Dunno why. I was disappointed to see Midget Mack leave the first show... he's my favorite person there.

Can't forget South Park, too. To me, it's been the most consistent show from back in the day.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:50 pm
if you haven't watched "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" you should give it a try. it may not be the kind of show for everyone, but it's consistently creative and very funny. it's on f/x thursdays at 10,
and hulu has free episodes:
FREE EPISODES

right from the first season they were at full stride, nowadays they're more silly, but still my favorite show on tv.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:20 pm
I forgot Amazing Race. I didn't start watching it until a few years ago, but have enjoyed every season since. I find myself rooting against certain teams more so than rooting for a team though. For example, the 2 divorcee's on this season. Honestly, who gives a damn about your sports bra? Focus on learning to ride a bike first.

I liked Survivor more during the earlier seasons. Too much merging, flipping around, immunity idols in tree's now. I would like to bring the survivor format to other shows though. I wish someone would vote Tony Kornheiser off MNF.

As far as I Love Money, I was happy Hoopz won but I respect how Megan played. She plays the dumb blond to a T, but knows how to get what she wants. Also liked how she walked out rather than giving those other clowns the pleasure of getting rid of her.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:23 pm
Linc Mob wrote:I forgot Amazing Race. I didn't start watching it until a few years ago, but have enjoyed every season since. I find myself rooting against certain teams more so than rooting for a team though. For example, the 2 divorcee's on this season. Honestly, who gives a damn about your sports bra? Focus on learning to ride a bike first.

Starr and Nick went to high school with me, and Starr and I did cheerleading and gymnastics together for a couple of years. She's EXACTLY the same as she was in High School; sneaky, manipulative, and a pathological liar...but we loved her anyway for some reason :)
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:27 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
Linc Mob wrote:I forgot Amazing Race. I didn't start watching it until a few years ago, but have enjoyed every season since. I find myself rooting against certain teams more so than rooting for a team though. For example, the 2 divorcee's on this season. Honestly, who gives a damn about your sports bra? Focus on learning to ride a bike first.

Starr and Nick went to high school with me, and Starr and I did cheerleading and gymnastics together for a couple of years. She's EXACTLY the same as she was in High School; sneaky, manipulative, and a pathological liar...but we loved her anyway for some reason :)

Now I'm curious. Would she throw someones bra over the ledge even though it provided no advantage whatsoever?
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:29 pm
Linc Mob wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:

Now I'm curious. Would she throw someones bra over the ledge even though it provided no advantage whatsoever?

No, that's not like her at all. She'd do almost anything if it gave her an advantage, but if it served no purpose, she wouldn't waste her time.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:37 pm
Heroes
The Daily Show
The Soup
Conan
Chelsey Lately
Weeds
Monster Quest
Margaret Cho
Boston Legal - Shatner and Spade are hilarious
Comedy Central
History Channel
Discovery Channel
Sci Fi Channel
Sports
News
Documentaries on line....

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:58 pm
Oh man, i forgot to mention The Soup with Joel McHale... good call jackattack!
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:09 am
E-Man wrote:i watch around the horn and PTI on espn ...

as far as the WWE...

Awesome! PTI is the shiit man. hate baseball but during the football and basketball seasons... fvck yeah.

regarding WWE, I could never get into it, seems really stupid to me, however I understand why it's popular.

I know it's not the most wholesome thing on the planet, but it's harmless man. it's just another way for guys to get the testosterone out of their system. I think simple entertainment like that keeps guys from losing it. Kudos to you two for admitting your guilty pleasure.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum