voting/politics thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

who are you voting for?

Barack Obama / Joe Biden
67%
John McCain / Sara Palin
9%
other (Bob Barr, Ralph Nader, etc)
3%
I'll decide later
9%
No one. Voting is for jerks
12%

Total votes : 33

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:08 pm
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Y_ncOVlDw[/youtube]

poor george...no one will even shake the mans hand...

mayb he shook their hands earlier?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:05 pm
bada wrote:well that is the EXACT discussion that the California Supreme court has agreed to hear.... whether it is even valid that the people did get to vote for it.

Well, the way I see it, it shouldn't. It's the government job to lead by example, and leaning on population to decide something like this is the easy way out for them.

I'm just saying that, if there's a referendum, both positions have to be respected, no matter which one you agree with.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:17 pm
TMC wrote:
bada wrote:well that is the EXACT discussion that the California Supreme court has agreed to hear.... whether it is even valid that the people did get to vote for it.

Well, the way I see it, it shouldn't. It's the government job to lead by example, and leaning on population to decide something like this is the easy way out for them.

I'm just saying that, if there's a referendum, both positions have to be respected, no matter which one you agree with.

Certainly we could go around and around on this but the bolded quote is assuming that I dont consider something FUNDAMENTALLY wrong. I am NOT going to respect the position of the other side if there is a referendum on next years ballot that wants to make it illegal for black people to get married. Just because it is on the ballot does not make it something that should be an opinion.... it is WRONG! I honestly see NO difference here.

Whether to vote democrat or republican? I will glady respect both sides even though I have strong opinions on which side of the fence I reside.

Whether to issues bonds to pump money into schools? Again, will gladly respect and listen to both sides of the argument.

Denying rights to a group of people rather than on individual merit? That is the defination of discrimination and I have a hard time accepting that opinion.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:06 pm
bada wrote:Whether to vote democrat or republican? I will glady respect both sides even though I have strong opinions on which side of the fence I reside.

And what if somebody considers voting one particular side as fundamentally wrong?. Wouldn't they have to respect the position of the other side?. I know it doesn't have the same consequences, but I'm not ready to deny somebody their right to vote as long as there's a referendum about anything.

That's what's wrong with referendums. The way I see it, the less we vote, the better. It should just be a measure of control of our government, and not a resource to justify a policital stance.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:17 pm
TMC wrote:
bada wrote:Whether to vote democrat or republican? I will glady respect both sides even though I have strong opinions on which side of the fence I reside.

And what if somebody considers voting one particular side as fundamentally wrong?. Wouldn't they have to respect the position of the other side?. I know it doesn't have the same consequences, but I'm not ready to deny somebody their right to vote as long as there's a referendum about anything.

That's what's wrong with referendums. The way I see it, the less we vote, the better. It should just be a measure of control of our government, and not a resource to justify a policital stance.

This is an issue that will continue burning for a long time. The main issue is that you should not be able to vote the rights of a group of people away. Gays are part of our society, they are part of humanity and they should be afforded the same rights as the rest of us. If 2 people want to get married, as long as the union is consentual, then it should be allowed.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:33 pm
"Always" Next wrote:This is an issue that will continue burning for a long time. The main issue is that you should not be able to vote the rights of a group of people away.

That's what I'm saying, that it makes no sense to decide this issue via voting.

"Always" Next wrote:Gays are part of our society, they are part of humanity and they should be afforded the same rights as the rest of us. If 2 people want to get married, as long as the union is consentual, then it should be allowed.

Yep. I'm not saying otherwise. I'm just discussing the validity of the referendum as a way to decide it.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:44 pm
watch this video on Prop 8 done by hollywood.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c0cf50 ... hida-jones
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:40 pm
:D haha Crackerz, I just came here to post the same vid... ::lol:

hilarious!

It won't embed here for some reason...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:32 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:watch this video on Prop 8 done by hollywood.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c0cf50 ... hida-jones

:D
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:06 pm
yeah it only took like 24 hours for u guys to watch it... i mean jeez, this video is huge. Making the national news everywhere, i was surprise no one else was talking about.

I finally beat Mr. KC and Speak on a video posting! :mrgreen:
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:37 pm
Great find, bro... sometimes it takes something as silly as a celeb musical to get people to listen..... :D :D
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:43 pm
What exactly compares Obama to the likes of FDR, Kennedy, and Lincoln? I can see it somewhat, but I just can't seem to put it together.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:37 pm
xbay wrote:What exactly compares Obama to the likes of FDR, Kennedy, and Lincoln? I can see it somewhat, but I just can't seem to put it together.

you know why u cant put it together xbay, cuz its a bad comparison.... SO FAR!!!

See FDR, Lincoln, Kennedy, were bold people. They did things that people questioned at the time. Things that if u did a poll at that time, less then 40% of the constituents would agree upon. They weren't looking for the popular thing, or caring about being safe, they were truly looking for progress and the good of society and America. I have to say, that Kennedy is clearly the weakest of the three names in regards to effectiveness, but i include him cuz he in fact only served three years before his death, and according to documentations, he had more progressive plans. Plus u mentioned him.

Obama has been quiet. Careful on his wording, playing the safe card. nothing extreme. Sure, he's not the prez yet, so by all means he is obligated to do/say anything. But the comparison of him to the three names before him are premature.

Good topic started Xbay! :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:14 pm
Thanks. I didn't mean to compare him to those three. But those names come up when it comes to talking about Obama for some reason in news articles and all that jazz, so it makes me wonder.

Just felt like reviving the good ol' politics thread... the economy sucks so bad right now, over half a million jobs were just cut today from the auto industry! Scary.

Anyways... back to discussing the question I asked..
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:23 pm
United States military interrogators often blast music at detainees in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay as forms of torture. According to the British law group Reprieve, the top songs used include 3 tracks from Eminem including "Kim," "The Real Slim Shady" and "White America." Legendary rappers Dr Dre and Tupac made the list along with rockers Aerosmith, Rage Against The Machine, Metallica and Nine Inch Nails.

Artists are now fightings back. On the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, musicians are uniting to join the Zero db (zero decibels = silence), a project launched today by Reprieve, a charity representing over 30 prisoners in Guantanamo Bay. I suggest that they level Guantanamo Bay, but they keep one small cell and they put Bush in there ... and they blast some Rage Against The Machine," Tom Morello said, the guitarist for band. For more infomation, visit www.ZeroDB.org

Music Used By Military For Torture

• AC/DC - Hell's Bells
• AC/DC - Shoot to Thrill
• Aerosmith
• Barney the Purple Dinosaur - theme tune
• Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
• Britney Spears
• Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
• Christina Aguilera - Dirrty
• David Gray - Babylon
• Deicide - **** Your God
• Don McLean - American Pie