voting/politics thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

who are you voting for?

Barack Obama / Joe Biden
67%
John McCain / Sara Palin
9%
other (Bob Barr, Ralph Nader, etc)
3%
I'll decide later
9%
No one. Voting is for jerks
12%

Total votes : 33

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:34 am
Wow...............I dont know who this sounds worse for, the Republicans or the American people.............:roll:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080926/ap_ ... l_meltdown

A bad day for the GOP on politics, bailout plan

WASHINGTON - Even for a party whose president suffers dismal approval ratings, whose legislative wing lost control of Congress and whose presidential nominee trails in the polls, it was a remarkably bad day for Republicans.

A White House summit meeting on Thursday meant to shore up John McCain's shaky campaign "devolved into a contentious shouting match." And that's how McCain's own campaign described it.

The meeting revealed that President Bush's $700 billion bid to combat the worst financial crisis in decades had been suddenly sidetracked by fellow Republicans in the House, who refused to embrace a plan that appeared close to acceptance by the Senate and most House Democrats.

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson begged Democratic participants not to disclose how badly the meeting had gone, dropping to one knee in a teasing way to make his point according to witnesses.

And when Paulson hastily tried to revive talks in a nighttime meeting near the Senate chamber, the House's top Republican refused to send a negotiator.

"This is the president's own party," said Rep. Barney Frank, a top Democratic negotiator who attended both meetings. "I don't think a president has been repudiated so strongly by the congressional wing of his own party in a long time."

By midnight, it was hard to tell who had suffered a worse evening, Bush or McCain. McCain, eager to shore up his image as a leader who rises above partisanship, was undercut by a fierce political squabble within his own party's ranks.

The consequences could be worse for Bush, and for millions of Americans if the impasse sends financial markets tumbling, as some officials fear. Closed-door negotiations were to resume Friday, but it was unclear whether House Republicans would attend.

Republicans and Democrats alike seemed unsure which way McCain was leaning. His campaign's statement late Thursday shed little light.

"At this moment, the plan that has been put forth by the administration does not enjoy the confidence of the American people," it said. It was unclear whether McCain would attend Friday night's scheduled debate against Democratic nominee Barack Obama in Oxford, Miss.

Ordinarily a Republican president's problems are with Democrats, especially if they control the House and Senate. In this case, Bush seemed almost over that hurdle.

To be sure, Democrats demanded a number of changes in his $700 billion bailout plan, but administration insiders signaled they probably were acceptable. They included greater oversight, more protections for taxpayers, efforts to head off home foreclosures and piecemeal allocations of the federal money to buy toxic mortgage securities.

What caught some by surprise, either at the White House meeting or shortly before it, was the sudden momentum behind a dramatically different plan drafted by House conservatives with Minority Leader John Boehner's blessing.

Instead of the government buying the distressed securities, the new plan would have banks, financial firms and other investors that hold such loans pay the Treasury to insure them. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisc., a chief sponsor, said it was clear that Bush's plan "was not going to pass the House."

But Democrats said the same was true of the conservatives' plan. It calls for tax cuts and insurance provisions the majority party will not accept, they said.

At one point in the White House meeting, according to two officials, McCain voiced support for Ryan's criticisms of the administration's proposal. Frank, a gruff Massachusetts liberal, angrily demanded to know what plan McCain favored.

These officials also said that as tempers flared, Bush struggled at times to maintain control.

At one point, several minutes into the session, Obama said it was time to hear from McCain. According to a Republican who was there, "all he said was, 'I support the principles that House Republicans are fighting for.'"

Some at the table took that to mean the conservatives' alternative proposal, which stands little chance of passage.

A few hours later, Paulson and the handful of negotiators wearily headed for home. Frank told The Associated Press: "I did tell Secretary Paulson that this whole thing is at risk if the president can't get members of his own party to participate."
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:20 pm
you know what's really sad about all of this:

- a complete idiot has been in the White house for two terms
- McCain has proven that his experience is flawed: For regulation, Going into Iraq in the first place, etc. has flip-flopped on many issues, lots of lobbyist influences
- The republican VP is not a "dumb bitch" as some people assert, but she is clearly not ready to be president at all. at all! both parties can agree on that.
- Obama, beyond smoking a little weed (bush used to do coccaine keep in mind), being young, and voting present 100+ times (which I still don't condone) has basically nothing wrong with his life. Came from nothing to something, No scandals, no divorces, No slip ups in his long campaign (it's impossible to really make fun of him), has 2 beautiful daughters and a very intelligent wife.
- Biden is, as everyone agrees, a solid pick. That's why no one talks about him. He's boring. Good.
- the republican party has had a disastrous 2 and a half weeks. the bad decisions on the economy, the proven lies, the gaffes.

And it's almost even.

I don't get it. I just don't get it. I really don't want to believe its racism. However it doesn't seem like it's Obama's to win. It seems more and more like it's McCain's to lose. How sad.

HOW DO 40% OF AMERICANS THINK PALIN IS READY TO BE PRESIDENT?

How can Katie Couric do it. How can she not leap out of her chair and scream - "You have no idea what your talking about!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kiW0S-LJvI&feature=user[/youtube] WWWHHAAATTT?!?!?!?! I love Cenk man
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:48 pm
the debate is coming up in about an hour and im pretty excited :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:54 pm
speakonitgod wrote:the debate is coming up in about an hour and im pretty excited :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yeah i kno, im gonna be spending a quality friday night soaking up every word these two morons have to say. I'm pretty disappointed it is just these two debating. Just because Nadar and Barr don't have funds like Ross Perot did back in '92 don't mean these guys should be excluded. Bring on the these two extremest to challenge the Moderates on their feet.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:55 pm
Opinions on the debate tonight? Anyone?
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:14 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:Opinions on the debate tonight? Anyone?

neither made a major gaffe, but what was up with mccain not even making eye contact with Obama...fear of a black planet?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:39 pm
This was not a game changer. Democrats will see this as an Obama victory and Republicans will say that McCain won.

Im sure both parties are satisfied with their candidates performance... I thought Obama won the debate. Mcain held his ground and was assertive, Barack was cerebral and his intellect shined...

Vote Obama!

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:28 pm
I thought the debate was pretty good, in presidential debate comparisons. certainly the best on i have seen (note: i've only seen Bush presidential debates, so my comparison should be rather short compare to most/all of you.

I thought Obama gets an 7.5/10, and McCain gets a 7/10. The thing i didn't like was that both avoided the questions in regarding the bailout. I wanted to see more on what they had to say, as the only political statement with "meaning" was Bush's crappy speech monday.

I disagree with both candidates on a whole bunch of issues. I like Obama's point in regards to responding to McCain's claim that US companies pay 35% corporate taxes, and that Ireland pays 11%. The fact is, there are SOOOOO many write offs in this system, only an idiot would be paying 35%. The typical number is about 15-20%. Obama pointed that out. Sadly, i dont think many people knew what that meant.

Obama seemed way more patient with the questions and looked more relaxed then McCain in answering questions. McCain was smart on having to remind the American people of specific examples throughout his career on what he has been a part of. And both re-assured their own supporters that they have chosen the right candidate.

Hopefully, the VP Debate lives up to the Hype; Gaff machine vs. the incompetant.

oh and according to the AP, here are some fact checks on who was wrong or right. It seems Obama won the Kissinger argument. Commercial time????

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080927/ap_ ... _factcheck
Last edited by Mr. Crackerz on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:56 am
oh man, thank Jah I had a gig tonight and didn't have to watch this...

I heard some of it on the radio on the way home... sounded relatively even, yet Barack was filled with logic and facts, while Mcgrumpy was getting a bit dismissive and nonsensical...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:49 am
coltraning wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:Opinions on the debate tonight? Anyone?

neither made a major gaffe, but what was up with mccain not even making eye contact with Obama...fear of a black planet?

Yea I thought that was hilarious and also shows a lot about McCains character. That old senile bum couldn't even look Obama in his eye when they greeted each other. And its funny cause all the pictures in the paper tried to capture the photo op of those two shaking hands and on one side you got Obama smiling looking right at him and McCain is looking in the crowd somewhere. **** McCain.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:28 am
Guys, whats all this bull sh*t about McCain "beating" and "winning" the latest debate???...............all the reports Ive seen say he edged it and that a vote was taken and McCain came out ontop???

All I saw was McCain saying they should stay in Iraq and they will win...........and Obama saying he always doubted it and didnt think the stratedgy was right.............what happend as I cant find or trust the media outlets I have right now.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:41 am
bigstrads wrote:Guys, whats all this bull sh*t about McCain "beating" and "winning" the latest debate???...............all the reports Ive seen say he edged it and that a vote was taken and McCain came out ontop???

All I saw was McCain saying they should stay in Iraq and they will win...........and Obama saying he always doubted it and didnt think the stratedgy was right.............what happend as I cant find or trust the media outlets I have right now.

Debate Watchers Give Obama Edge Over McCain
http://www.gallup.com/poll/110779/Debat ... cCain.aspx

Klein: Obama Wins Debate On Tactics and Strategies
http://www.time.com/time/politics/artic ... topstories

iReporters call debate for Obama
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/27/ ... cnn_latest

Obama Wins First Debate
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-burne ... 29850.html
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:02 pm
Mr.KC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Guys, whats all this bull sh*t about McCain "beating" and "winning" the latest debate???...............all the reports Ive seen say he edged it and that a vote was taken and McCain came out ontop???

Debate Watchers Give Obama Edge Over McCain
http://www.gallup.com/poll/110779/Debat ... cCain.aspx

Klein: Obama Wins Debate On Tactics and Strategies
http://www.time.com/time/politics/artic ... topstories

iReporters call debate for Obama
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/27/ ... cnn_latest

Obama Wins First Debate
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-burne ... 29850.html

Thanks Mr. :D

I was round my girls step Dads house and he buys a real facist bastard news paper and they were going on about how McCain won it...........so shouldnt have trusted it but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Cheers! what is it now................36 days until the election!!! damn, Im actually nervous you know.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:05 pm
GDS9 wrote:Beacuse basically are votes dont count.its Electoral College vote And they mostly vote republican

in that case, we don't need the citizens vote ....

seems like unfair, how about if 90% USA citizen vote for Obama but electoral college vote for McCain.....and Mc Cain become President...that's sound ridiculous and will create the big RIOT....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Same 'ol, same 'ol... That's what happens when you rely on the media. Everybody has an agenda (particularly when it comes to sex and/or politics), so it's pretty much a moot point what really happens. They're gonna say whatever they want to say, even if it's not accurate or even close to real life.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum